Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did your family affect or influnence you becoming a crossdresser? In what ways?

When it comes to nurture (nature or nurture) neither my parents, older brother, extended family, nor friends played an active or passive role in my crossdressing. As a preadolescence/adolescent I crossdressed in secret with the few things of my mom's that I could find that fit. Only once, in the most indirect way, did my mom indicate she thought I was trying on her things. I somehow knew that crossdressing would never be acceptable in my neck-of-the-woods, in the 1960s.

Nope had zero influence on my crossdressing.
    Amanda

I have wondered about it for years. I know that I very much admired my mom and always felt way more comfortable being around her than being around my father, especially when I was younger. I also remember my mother and some of her female friends and relatives saying that I had such beautiful hair that I should have been a girl or that it was a waste that I wasn’t a girl. It wasn’t said derogatory or with malice but it definitely stuck in my head.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Not at all. When I was in elementary grades in a consolidated school, I found myself attracted to the High Schools girls in their late 50s and early 60s clothes and makeup. A drastic difference between them and my rather simply dressed mother and younger sister. I had both a "fear" and "Fascination" about them.

I am eternally grateful to have a sister, who even though I never knew anything, helped me by unintentionally lending me her bras.
    I don't think it would look very good in Mom's bras...

I often like to think that yes, parents infuenced this, father is very emotionless, submissive, mother was always loud and angry. And I have 2 sisters, when I was little I thought my older sister was magical fairy who could fly, I ofter had such dreams.

I am still trying to figure out some of the dysfunction in my family, there was a lack of supervision that led to a lot of problems. I had three older brothers and was often chided about my parents trying for a girl. I was smaller/weaker, bullied, often picked on about being feminine, called a girls name, etc Maybe they all saw it in me before I ever did, but the stage was set. It was one of the pervy neighborhood boys that first put me in a dress. After we did that a few times, I was loving it!

I admired my mom and her sister as persons and wasn't as close to my dad nor did I look up to his social attitudes. He walked around the house naked, my mom did not, I had to peek and I liked what I saw. I really wanted to look and act like her!

Karen,

Did you ever get caught? I was talking with my wife last night about all of the dressing I did growing up. I can't believe I never got caught, that I know of.

Tracy

Not sure if it influenced much, but in my early days of life... I was surrouned by my mothers toys including barbie dolls and such. I had alot of girly toys when I was growing up. By time I got into school, I started playing more with more boy toys. My grandparents (I lived with them my whole time growing up) didn't seem to care that I played with girl toys and such. I never exposed to them that I had an interest in dressing up as a woman (although I came close one Halloween), but who knows... they probably would have supported it as they supported pretty much everything I was into or did.

My mother did sewing and alterations for money to help the family income. Once I got big enough I started getting used as the dress dummy. I hated it at first, but then all the soft fabrics got the best of me. Once it was noticed that I was enjoying the part way too much, my mother found a dress mannequin from a second hand store.

After that a female cousin had apparently overheard my mother telling my aunt about me and offered to help me dress. She had great makeup skills and I could easily pass until full blown puberty hit.

Well, they provided the dresses and the makeup...
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

My mother wore nylon granny panties. To her they were probably utilitarian, no prints or patterns, but to me they were perfect. If my mother's underwear was cotton like mine, I am sure I would have shown no interest.

Other than that, totally normal childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade P View Post
    Melony sounds like you have a very loving and understanding family!
    Thank you Jade

Not in a positive way. My parents influence led to many years of denial, guilt, and shame. My ex-wife helped me start to overcome those feelings, but I never really started to accept myself as transgendered until I was 58 years old, five years after my marriage failed for other reasons.