Thread: Shopping at Ulta

Shopping at Ulta

Wednesday I went to Ulta Beauty to pick up some new makeup, (pressed powder and an eyebrow brush/pencil). I was in guy clothes. A sales woman came over to help me find the stuff. No big, I went and paid for it. The cashier says, "Are these for you?" I said yeah sure. I don't think she believed me. On my way out she jokingly says "You can shop en femme if you want"

So today I go back to Ulta to pick up a new lipstick for the hell of it. I am fully dressed as Joanne. I drive to Ulta and I get a new lipstick. I go to pay and it is the same cashier. As I am paying for the lipstick she recognizes my voice! She says, "Oh my god! It is you from the other day! You look so good! I did not even think that you weren't a woman! Have a great day."
    I said thanks you made my day!

Odds are it was not a joke. Nice they remembered you.

Normally, I'd suggest you consider their makeovers, but with the ongoing pandemic, I'm not that keen myself.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Joanne,

Thanks for this post. I am thinking of heading in for some advice and makeup and this helps reassure me for what I thought was going to be an ok experience. Love your avatar btw.

Tiffany

I?ve had the makeup makeover before. I?ve been thinking about another lesson! I have questions this time!

Awesome experience, love 5o hear the positive experiences

thats the kind of response you want Congrats
    Nice she recognized your voice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Nice experience! I've found the SA's at Ulta to be very accepting and helpful.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

I love shopping at Ulta! Everyone there is always so nice. I always let them know I'm shopping for myself and I have even shown some pictures for references and advice. I have yet to go in dressed but I did mention to one of the SAs that I was going to have them do my makeup at some point and she just lit up and said that would be so much fun!
    We can only achieve what we dare to reach for.

Joanne,

Its now on my short list of things to do.

Maybe when I'm out of town next week.

Davina

Joanne, I love it.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Thanks for this post. I've wondered about going into Ulta and asking for help with choosing the proper foundation for my skin tone. Of course, I would go in while in male mode and wondered about the response I might get. You've just given me the confidence that I won't be viewed as a freak of nature. Again, thanks.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

Silver Member
    Those ladies sure know what it takes to sell makeup to crossdressers, don't they?

Wow what a nice experience for you.
    Ulta treated me very well when I first came out.
    Sally beauty is another great place to get things too, their employees are awesome.
    I have been 24/7 for so long I kind of forget about reactions like that.

I've been tempted to ask for help in Ulta, and from what I've read here I'd feel confident that the SA's would be helpful and accepting. But what about the other women in the store? Does it seem like they're uncomfortable or intimidated by having a man or CDer in what's traditionally their "territory?"

Honestly, they don't care. Odds are you won't be the only male there. Most of the other folks will probably assume you're shopping for someone else.

And you have as much right to shop there as anybody else.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Cassandra View Post
    I've been tempted to ask for help in Ulta, and from what I've read here I'd feel confident that the SA's would be helpful and accepting. But what about the other women in the store? Does it seem like they're uncomfortable or intimidated by having a man or CDer in what's traditionally their "territory?"
    Who cares what the other women think?

Also, guys work at cosmetic stores too.

I've been to multiple Sephora's both as a guy and a girl and they have been welcoming. I even attended a couple of Sephora makeup classes, including one they were offering for TG individuals (pre-pandemic).

Just go and ask. Trust me, it's a great way to learn and get the right products.
    I'm Sun-Dee at Kandi's Land; read about my outings here:

https://www.kandis-land.com/author/dee/

Ultra is great, she might have said it jokingly I'm sure she also meant it.

Everyone there is wonderful, when I go there I'm like a kid in a candy store.

Honestly I have been to Ulta more times dressed than not. They all knew me before COVID. Now there?s a new crew and they are just as nice. The girls at Ulta are fascinated that I think so much of women that I often dress as one.
    I want to learn more makeup techniques. So I?m going to get another lesson!

Thanks Patience and Sun-Dee. I agree, but still will probably feel uncomfortable my first time shopping there. I guess since women have been accepted (more or less) in traditional male environments (construction, engineering, police, firefighters, cigar lounges!) for quite a few years now, they really shouldn't complain about men shopping in "their" stores!

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Cassandra View Post
    I have done this. I went to my local Ulta in drab mode and when asked by a MUA if I needed help I explained that I sometimes present as female and needed some help selecting products. I asked the MUA if she had a problem with that as I didn't want to make her uncomfortable. The answer was very positive and she spent probably 20+ minutes finding the right foundation shade. Wound up buying probably $100 in products. Don't forget to join their club.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

We have four (4) Ulta stores in town. That I know of just to be clear, there may be more. I have been to them all and have never had any weirdness from anyone. Not even when i gave a girl my opinion on a product she was looking at. I think anyone who shops either Ulta or Sephoria knows they welcome everyone to shop there.
    Last edited by char GG; 07-31-2022 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Not necessary to quote the post just before yours

Thanks Jenn and Jennifer, you've really helped me feel confident about doing this, so now I just have to DO IT! I'll definitely follow up on this, maybe in a different thread, depending on when I get my courage up.....

Had a great experience at Sephora today. I was not sure if I was going to do it, but I did. First time walking in the big mall dressed. I should not have worn any makeup since they match foundation to your skin tone. Next time I go will be in male mode. I had been buying cheap makeup at discount stores, but since I am still working on my purchase choices (i.e., correct foundation for my skin tone), I guess I just need to shell out the big bucks.Next time, my info will be in there, so I can make a better choice if this did not work out completely. Even Dolly Parton says, it takes a lot of time and money to look this good.
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 09-02-2022 at 04:08 AM. Reason: You need to read the rules more carefully

So glad you had a great experience and hopefully gives me the confidence to go in myself.