Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you crossdress?

Platinum Member
    Why? When I am dressed and look in the mirror, I see my real self. The male is less recognizable. That of course begs the question, of why yet again, and that gets into some very murky and unresolved questions about genetics/epigenetic, birth order, social influences etc.

My guess is that your wife is not asking for a list of possible biological or sociological contributing factors. My guess is she is asking your personal reasons for choosing to cross dress. Any answer you give will be legitimate and at the same time probably unsatisfactory. Your answers were that you felt, enjoyment, excitement, younger, fulfillment (feeling whole). I suppose the follow up question is, but why do you feel any of those things, which as others have pointed out, it like asking a person why they like Limburger cheese or running a marathon (I know, its crazy, but some people actually enjoy running!)

Perhaps the key is in that term, “fulfillment”. As you said, dressing and going out as a woman makes you feel whole. That suggests/implies that it fills something that is otherwise not satisfied by male gender identity, that a part of your identity is female and needs expression (lets skip over causal factors entirely).

Humans like easy, either/or answers. But we aren’t that simple.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 08-14-2022 at 11:09 AM.

I do it to let out a happier side of me. I do tend to smile more when I look in the mirror at myself after I dress up and see myself all feminine and pretty. For my mental health, that turns into a good thing. And I agree that male clothing is just boring compared to what women get to wear!

I cross dress because I want to look and feel like a female in every possible way. It is now a joy. I love to get fully dressed and look elegant and pretty, even alone at home, but I do enjoy walking down a street or into a restaurant and have some people compliment me on my outfit. This was not always the case. In the early days, I purged many times and felt bad, but then I came to the realization that this is who I am naturally. After this mental process of self analysis many years ago, I always feel special when I am stylishly outfitted. Life is just beautiful.

I gave my wife a pair of my boxer briefs to try on and automatically she said No! End of that discussion. She realized that most mens clothing is uncomfortable. That answered the clothing issue but not the makeup which she can't stand. Sometimes a little mascara or eye shadow but not full on makeup. My wife has gotten use to my panty w wearing/dresses,bras and my long hair but not the makeup.

Like others, both my wife and I have asked this question many times. I really don?t know. I just know I do and have since early childhood. Pink fog? The one constant fact is how comfortable dressing is for me and that includes underwire bras, especially hose, etc. My wife doesn?t understand how I find these items comfortable, but I do. We accept it as part of our lives. Her support is so appreciated. Being retired, I dress daily and enjoy the whole process of selection, dressing, sights and smells. After a workout or outside chores, nothing beats a shower, shaved legs, lubricate and slipping on hose, fresh lingerie, etc.

Rather than repeatedly write out the same material over and over, perhaps just peruse the previous threads, so here are two from the past month or so, alone. Here are a lot of answers for you:
    https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...-crossdressing

https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...-quot-why-quot

Those two alone, will supply you with lots of thought provoking information!
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

For me it's my love of beautiful lingerie, wanting to feel fem and the desire to look and feel like a woman for not only myself but also for my boyfriend. Slipping into lingerie relaxes me and takes away any stress I have in my life.

For me, the "why do I dress" has become a way to relax from the stresses of work. I enjoy the feeling of the fabrics and find the styles to be more comfortable than men's clothing. Sometimes all I want to do is put on a simple outfit (blouse and jeans), then there are times I want to get fulling done (makeup, forms, wig, etc.) I have to admit when I first started dressing, it was as a fetish, but over time it has become a part of my everyday wardrobe with items such as panties and bras. Thankfully my wife (girlfriend at the time when I came out to her 30 years ago) is supportive.
    I am just a guy who enjoys wearing women's clothing and there is nothing wrong with that.

I think women's clothes are prettier than men's. I love wearing bras, panties and pantyhose.

I never get tired of answering this question. I crossdress for many reasons. Here are a few.

1. Despite what it says on my birth certificate, I'm female. Always have been.
    2. Yeah, I want to wear female clothing all the time.
    3. When I look in the mirror, sometimes I see a man, sometimes I see a woman. The woman is me. I don't know the man.
    4. It's hard to put into words, but when I see the woman in the mirror, I know why I do it. Words are unimportant.
    5. When I pick out my outfit for the day, the only question in my mind is skirt or dress?
    6. My male outfit is (like) a uniform. When I get home, I take off the uniform and put on my normal female clothing, which I typically lay out on my bed before leaving.
    7. When I go clothes shopping, I head for the women's section. I don't know where the men's section is.
    8. I feel naked without a bra.
    9. I also feel naked without lipstick, dangle earrings, and a necklace.

Yes, I could wear male clothing 24/7. But why would I want to?

These are more personal feelings than reasons. But my personal feelings are my reasons.

To paraphrase something I heard on a TV show: if you're a crossdresser, no explanation is necessary. If you're not, no explanation is possible.
    Last edited by CynthiaD; 08-14-2022 at 03:46 PM.
    What do I do on days when I don't crossdress? I have no idea.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    To "Take a "vacation" from myself. And in doing so , becoming completely someone else free from my own worries and responsibilities--even of "manhood" itself, and thus am able to relax and "UNWIND" entirely.---- and also with the "bonus of "feeling pretty" and turning myself "on". I need a good CD "fix" every two or 3 weeks or so.

I’ve always had a very strong feminine side. Dressing allows me to express that fully.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Personally, I just really enjoy feeling feminine and this includes wearing female clothes.

Platinum Member
    Hi Alexis , I have been dressing for 75 years Now,

It is just who I am and It's just what I do, >Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Great question all I know is there is nothing remotely close the feeling I get when i put on a dress and spend the day shopping. I would love to hear what explanation helps your wife accept your dressing I still after over 40 years of marriage to an incredible women cannot find the courage to have the talk.

The great element of this thread is that you will get such a diversity of reasons. Then you just explore those that strike a chord with you. For me, there is the tactile aspect -- the clothes just feel remarkable. Then there is the escapist aspect, particularly if I go out somewhere dressed, a vacation from myself. In the final analysis, I do it because I enjoy it and it's FUN. One might as well ask why I like to have a root beer now and then.

I have always been very self-concious about myself.
    About my manner of talk, about my looks, and about my actions.
    All stemming from my childhood.

Here it is some 50 years later and those scars are still there.

When I crossdress, I feel when I look in the mirror, that image would be right.
    it gives me a huge escape from myself.
    and since I only do it alone,
    I don't have to be concerned with my thoughts actions or words.

not sure if that makes and sense. but that is what best fits my thinking
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

I wish I knew. I have been trying to find the answer for multiple decades and I still don?t know. My own personal theory is that I trained myself to enjoy it. It started out as a sexual fetish and that was the principal drive. Like a heroin addict, I needed more feminine clothing to achieve the same sexual rush. It was a wonderful experiment to see myself in various lingerie and a few different outfits and things probably hit a peak shortly after I retired and my wife was still working. Since then, however, she retired and there has been a decline in both the urge and the opportunity but is still like to wear my pretty things from time to time. I guess for me, it is simply a matter of conditioning.

I asked why for years. I went to a transformation service in 2005. With full make up, a wig, breast forms, lingerie painted nails nylons and heels I felt amazing. When I looked in the mirror I saw a lovely woman. That was it. I like looking like a woman and feeling feminine. I always looked at women in pretty dresses and skirts all made up and loved the look. I dress up to look like a woman. And it makes me happy beyond description.

Because it's the closest thing to exploring a new planet and takes so much less money and time to do.
    And because it's wonderfully, unbelievably freeing. I don't walk when I dress. I fly.

I so want to experience this! I think I would just float everywhere I went.

Of course, floating would take a little away from wearing heels...

To get in touch with a part of me I can't reach otherwise.

To experience life more fully.

To try to somewhat break the script that goes through the average person's head when they come across a 6'2" black man walking on the street.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Ask a woman, Why do you like to wear women's clothes?

There's your answer.

The only reason for me is because I enjoy it. I also enjoy fishing, hunting and a multitude of other things. I don't question why I do them either.

Please see "Crossdress for Peace."

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

It's not because I want to look female, I have a beard, though my interests have always been like hugging girls instead of combat. Except for my breasts I look male. That's fine. Adornment is the primary art. It's always been a main delight for me. Women's clothing is anything. Clothes now meant for men are incredibly dumb and boring.