Thread: Solo Camping or Best Laid Plans....

Solo Camping or Best Laid Plans....

My wife and I own an Airstream Trailer and, since 2013, we have traveled out west and south. 2019 ended all that. Covid came then we got carbon monoxide poisoning when our furnance failed and I was found to have persistent atrial fibulation. It was a rough three years. I had a Watchman device installed, strict drug therapy, cardioversion or two sandwiched around some PEs just for the heck of it. BUT, I'm good. I'm in a holding pattern, cardiologist told me to keep on doing what I've been doing. and my wife is happy.

So happy that when I told her I would like to take the trailer and head south to visit my brothers whom I haven't seen in years before I die. Ok, I was being hyperbolic there a little. but I am 73 and have a history of heart problems and 6 of my9 siblings have heart issues. So wife said yes.

Now, the last time I saw my brothers was when I hauled my Mother's stuff to Florida after our Dad died. This was in 2013. I hauled it down in a uhaul towing my astro van. I wore shorts and tops and bras the whole trip. I kept my money in my bra. LOL. I was living teh iowa farm wife dream.

So I tell the wife I'd like to take the trailer and drive down to see the brothers...3 of them live in FL, one lives in Branson and then there's me. She says that sounds like something you need to do. I tell her I want to take the trailer so I can dress comfortable which is our code word for me dressing. She tells me she figure that.

She's funny like that. The reason we parked the trailer in 2019, was we were camped in Colorado and enjoying everything Colorado has to offer. There were two lesbians parked next to us in Jumbo Campground, mature women, they were having trouble setting up their trailer.I offered to help them and made their aquaintance, which made my wife very mad. After a huge arguement, she took the dog, rented a car and drove home. I didn't know what to do. So I broke camp and headed home.

On the way home I stopped at the Gunniston National Park adn had a grand time. Well, not counting the part where I backed the Airstream into a shrubbery... I finally made it home.

So, I'm wanting to go to Florida in our Airstream and visit my brothers. You know I will be dressed as that androgynous Iowa farm wife and so does the wife. We hug. I am so excited.

That evening, as d-i-l comes from school with 8th grade granddaughter. (They live behind us) I can tell somethign is amiss. D-I-L says granddaughter says I am not going to drive her home from school this year. I am taken aback. I don't remember saying that. Then I do. Grandaughter said she hates riding the bus, I say if you can ride the bus, I'm not driving. This year if you live closer than 2.5 miles as crow flies, not bus.. I say of course I wlil pickup you from school (they live 1.8 miles as cross flies).

So. No trip to Florida.

That is certainly a disappointing end to a story. It is too bad someone else can’t handle those responsibilities while you are away.

I would echo Tracy's sentiments. Surely there is someone else that can pick her up. That could be your wife - maybe. After all, we (I'm 76) cannot have our lives ruled by our children and grandchildren and should not feel guilty about taking care of ourselves. Our days are numbered and we DESERVE to be a bit selfish. Your granddaughter is in 8th grade which means if you sit her down and explain to her the importance of making this trip as it may well be the last time you see one, or all, of your brothers alive, she will surely understand and give you a pass. I turn 77 in another week. Assuming I'm still around in 3 years, I am going to pretty much insist my children (2), grandchildren (2), and great grandchildren (2) make the trip to visit me on my 80th birthday. There is about 950 miles between us and I cannot believe with a year's notice they can't make arrangements. I will offer to cover their travel expenses. I will just expect them to visit.

Unless there is something I'm missing, if nobody can pick her up 1.8 miles for a 12-year-old to walk is not unreasonable. I know from my personal experience at that age. I lived 1 mile from jr. high and had to walk. I lived 1.6 miles from hs and had to walk. It's not as though you will be gone the entire school year. D-I-L needs to support you on this. JMO. End of rant.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

Well since school is starting soon and you told her you would pick her up that’s life eh?
    Can you plan on a trip later where you have worked out details for someone else or maybe when your granddaughter is on holiday from school?
    It sucks you forgot but it is what it is.
    Although I agree you need to make you time , but other things and especially since you said you would do this trumps this.
    Also yes I walked all my years back and forth to school …..but that was then , not safe at all anymore.

Since your wife knows why can’t you make time at home?
    Maybe spa days planned out or outings dressed away from the house when the granddaughter is at school.The sky is the limit.
    Yes
    Do make plans to see your family….just work out the time around what you committed yourself to.
    Last edited by Di; 08-20-2022 at 04:47 AM.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

I have a couple questions for you. Couldn't you get the girl a bike to ride to and from school? It seems like she's of the age where she would like to start asserting some independence anyway, so...
    Just be sure to have the "stranger danger" talk.

It sounds like you planned on taking this trip without your wife. If I'm wrong, never mind. But if she's staying behind, can't she fill in for you for that time?

Otherwise, I guess you'll have to reschedule your trip for when school's out. But yes - GO! See your brothers - while you still can. It's important - whether you dress on the way or not.

Kids these days are snowflakes. I certainly will not hurt to make her walk to school or ride the bus. Everyone has to do something they don't want to do in life. Sorry to say this but, it is time the spoiled brat learned this little lesson in life.

The district announced yesterday anyone living closer than 2.5 miles as the crow flies will not longer be eligible to ride the bus. It used to be 1 mile. It changed in a day,took a lot by surprise, including me. We all thought she'd ride the bus.
    Our town has really changed, almost everyday there are shootings and car thefts. We lock our cars at night.

It won't be too bad, D.I.L. is off on Friday so it will just be M-T Shortage of teachers and bus drivers all over the neww, not just here.

switching subject, i frequently wear Chic elastic waist jean shorts...last night I went over to neighbors and he asked me if I was wearing women'a shorts. he
    83 and was full of pabst. They don't have a fly he said. I pulled up my shirt and said yes they do and showed the faux fly, I said remember when I fell adn broke my wrist, I couldn't do zippers, I got a bunch of these elastic waist shorts then. I still like them. Just then his grandson walked across the patio and started talking to us He was wearing running shorts... I asked him is those were woman's shorts. He just looked at me blankly. so I said, they don't have a fly. Oh, he said, these are running shorts... nieghbor didn't say itshay.
    I laughed inside.