Thread: Out in very public gardens

Out in very public gardens

Since coming out to my wife a couple of years ago (I posted a long story about that) I have been lucky enough to go out dressed every week or two. I usually go to our favorite thrift store, which is a boutique-y place that only carries womens' clothes, in addition to furniture, jewelry, and art pieces. I frequently go to one of our local coffee shops, which are very accepting of LGBTQ+ patrons.

Last week I went to a restaurant where you order at the counter and they bring it to you. Then, I decided to go for a walk in a beautiful botanic garden which is less than 10 minutes from home. You have to park in a paid parking lot, and then there are trails all through the park. I already had the parking app, so that was easy. I was wearing a denim skirt, a pink cotton SS top, and rose pink leather sandals, with forms, jewelry, light makeup, etc. The sandals were outdoorsy (think Teva).

I spent about 30-40 minutes walking through the park, and I must have passed close by to 30-40 people. I got no reaction, even though I don't pass close up. I even walked past a group of three college-age guys and they didn't bat an eye. (I'm ok if they snickered about a man in a skirt after I was gone.) There is a small unisex restroom way out in the park, which I took advantage of. It has a toilet stall and a urinal. I used the stall, of course, but I didn't lock the main door, so in theory someone else could have come in. I was pleasantly surprised to see some GGs in skirts, and even dresses, though most were in capris or shorts.

Before I went back to my car, I went to the office of the gardens, and spoke to the young woman at the desk. There were gendered restrooms there, but by that time I was good and didn't have to make a decision. I also went to the small gift shop and browsed.

All and all, it was a great confidence builder and another great day out.

Sounds like a great day

Just another 'walk in the park' on your journey. Congratulations!
    Last edited by Tracy Irving; 08-25-2022 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Replaced “?” with “‘”.

Well done Girl!

Sounds like a great time and your confidence is obvious! I?m working in building mine up to that level. Congratulations!

Way to go Joan! Sounds like you do very well out and about.
    Crissy

People really don't pay attention to whats going on around them so a CD goes unnoticed most of the time.
    Sounds like a great place to visit.
    I go to a botanical garden close by and walk the trails.
    Cool thing is I walk right behind the house I grew up in back in the 60s.
    One evening the current owners were on the back porch so I walked up to the fence and told them I used to live there when I was a kid.
    A very nice middle aged couple btw.
    Last edited by TAG; 08-25-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Sounds like a beautiful way to get out and about!
    www.flickr.com/people/194195593@N05/

Platinum Member
    What a very pleasant adventure into the public. Good for you!

Be sure to smell the flowers and appreciate all the work--planting, weeding, watering that goes into a beautiful botanic garden.
    And plan ahead--botanic gardens usually have dahlias and annual flowers for two more weeks--and then--a huge display of colorful chrysanthemums--which are a fall flower in many beautiful colors.
    We need more pictures--if you can manage it.
    At our local garden I counted...about 6 out of 24 women...were actually wearing dresses or skirts.

Sounds like a nice walk! I've been wanting to take one of my southern belle dresses out to the local flower garden park for photos and such... but that's just a pipedream of mine. Glad that everything worked out for you!

Unless you give people a reason to look twice most just give passersby a quick glance & move on.
    "Care about what other people think of you and you will always be their prisoner" - Lao Tzu

Joan, Sounds like a great day shopping and at the park.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Sounds wonderful. We have a truly nice (nationally recognized) botanical garden near us. However, I really can't go there dressed as I volunteer there, and the odds are really great that a lot of people I know would see me.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

Joan, sounds like a wonderful time. Glad you got to enjoy it.
    Roxie

Sounds wonderful.

Gardens are in consideration good places to go for those new to going out. Let's face it, knuckle dragging morons aren't your typical garden types so those there are far less likely to give one of us grief.

Nice to find a bench in a sunny spot and feel the breeze on your legs while catching a few rays.

What a wonderful experience you had. A huge confidence builder. Regarding the lack of noticing you, it is a great place to not be noticed because most are on autopilot and noticing the gardens rather than the people. I notice that even when I go to the Denver Botanic Gardens in male form. And I think Helen, as usual, has a good perspective on being with people that are not likely to hassle you. Being a paid venue may help keep it more hassle free although I have occasionally noticed men visiting the botanic garden that are obviously cruising for something other than flowers and plants. But they are rare.