Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch out for camera settings on video conference call!

Watch out for camera settings on video conference call!

I joined a video conference call with my financial planner on a link that she sent. She is a lovely lady whom I have known for years. I didn't realize that the default setting of the camera was on and I was dressed and made up as Caitlyn. When I registered her surprise, I panicked and switched off the computer. I was trying anything to get the video off quickly. When I rejoined the call a few minutes later with the camera switched off, my planner said 'I said hi to your wife or girlfriend. She looks very like you'. She didn't mention it again but I know that she is now another who is in on my secret 😀

This sounds very much like a short story I’m writing. My fictional event occurs when a PC support script “verifies” the peripheral hardware in an automated script turning on the camera and surprising the user.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, I’m sure your financial advisor wants to keep a good customer no matter how you’re dressed.
    Rebecca Bas

I can't help thinking that taking that much risk, playing that much with fire, is a more or less conscious cry for being caught but that's debate for another day.
    In the meanwhile, make sure you buy a webcam that has a cover, or at least accepts one. This is so very convenient to simply close a good old physical lid before starting a conference and not rely on software settings which, by the way, can always be subject to bugs.

Your adviser has shrugged off the event quite elegantly for your benefit. Now if it comes up, you can either lie and fabricate a person that does not exist, or come clean. Or just don't mention it again unless they bring it up first (unlikely).

It's a good idea to check cameras (or cover the lens with a sticker or something that can be removed) before starting these kinds of calls. I bet you won't make that mistake again.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Seems as though your planner is of the mind to not make a big thing about it.

Can't help but empathize with you as this is something that I could see happening to me.
    I agree with Diane and Patience. Camera cover or go low tech and put a piece of tape over the lens. Leave a tail on it so you can remove easily.

I do video calls all the time. I make sure my camera is down facing the table when I am dressed. No need to stir up that kettle of fish.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    I had my Google ID automatically set as my name by default. Don't think I noticed till after the call. I'm sure those people could care less on that particular call.

I did a video call with my ex and her current BF was in the background during the call.
    Being 24/7 for years but forgetting I never told her I went 24/7 was kind of strange at first.
    (She knew all about me being trans so that was not an issue)
    I think she got a kick out of it because as we talked she was saying words like honey,dear and GF.
    Her guy asked where do you know her from?
    My ex howled with laughter and said she is my ex you big dummy. He walked off and sat on the couch.

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    I use my desktop computer for zoom type meetings. That requires plugging in a webcam mounted on a tripod and turning it and the software on. No chance to make such an oops.

But my newer laptop has the built-in webcam and I do not understand the many Win11 settings. I had better be very careful using that device while dressed!

I'm so glad I'm technology challenged and have no idea how to join a video conference on my computer.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

Avatar: not me (I wish!) racquelr's Avatar
    This is why I have black electrical tape over the cameras on all of my laptops.
    Even if something turns the camera on all anyone on the other end will see is blackness.
    My new laptop has a cover to slide over the camera, but I found that was too easy to bump open when closing the lid or carrying it, so now it's covered with tape too.
    If I ever need to use the camera, it's easy enough to remove the tape but for sure unless I do, there's no chance of any "oops" video calls.

There is a Post-it note permanently affixed over the camera on my computer.

I never do any conference calls, but I am not taking any chances!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    My camera sits on top of my desktop monitor. When not in use it sits on the desk behind my computer. It can never show anyone anything by accident!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

For a laptop it is easy to buy a little sticky slidey thing to put over the camera. I?ve heard they are good security for everyone. I have one anfc keep it closed ally the time unless I specifically want it open.

Tape is best..or sticky do dad thingy...but as to your post I fully understand the exposure you i.e panic...don't sweat the small stuff. Now if it was a work call, that's another level...
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

Platinum Member
    Would it be appropriate to have a brief conversation with the financial planner. Seems like she is fully aware anyway.

Two words: black tape.

Did you use the "Oh, you must mean my sister from Minnesota" excuse? I always have that at the ready for times like that.
    www.flickr.com/people/194195593@N05/

On the flip side of that, does this group ever get together on zoom to show off their accomplishments with makeup and dress?

Quote Originally Posted by BobbiKay View Post
    Two words: black tape.
    Precisely. I don't do video conf calls so I keep a piece of black tape over the camera in my desk top computer. Just in case.

Responding to the question about a group video call. I think that might be fun. Who can organize that?

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather76 View Post
    I'm so glad I'm technology challenged and have no idea how to join a video conference on my computer.
    I'm with you. My computer and monitor do not have a video camera. My wife uses a tablet to communicate with family members, so if I was free to be en femme around the house, I'd have to be careful when she is communicating. I believe Maria had posted one time about such an occurrence.

I believe Caitlyn's financial advisor handled it well. If she knew it was her client she was communicating all was alright.

Watch out for your phone camera as well. Somehow, I was talking to my son and I could see him. Turns out he could see me, too, because I hit a wrong icon when phoning him. Luckily, I was en drab.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

I'm working remotely and this is why I haven't yet dared spend a workday en femme, lol. We're on audio-only calls frequently but I've accidentally activated my camera before. No big deal at the time but Murphy's Law suggests it will definitely happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by SometimesNatalie View Post
    I'm working remotely and this is why I haven't yet dared spend a workday en femme, lol. We're on audio-only calls frequently but I've accidentally activated my camera before. No big deal at the time but Murphy's Law suggests it will definitely happen again.
    I keep my camera covered with a business card and keep a t-shirt on my desk for quick video calls. Things I can't hide I don't, like my nails and hair.