Thread: I'm still standing

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

I'm still standing

I've ignored you all too long, but I've been recovering from surgery, just not that one. After years of back problems, the doc told me I needed to have the L3, L4 & L5 vertebrae fused and the mess in that area cleaned up. That happened back in July and my back is fine, but the residual sciatica pain continues to keep me limited. I'm hoping that physical therapy, starting in a few weeks will take care of that.

I don't know why I've not been checking in here recently. Over the years the people here have proven to be some of the best sources of information and support I've encountered, and I don't say thanks nearly often enough. That's probably from posting nothing but snark over on Facebook and I've gotten out of the habit of being grateful online.

Between my bad back, covid lockdowns and an unhealthy interest in politics, the last few years have been a challenge. Oh, and I continue to grow older as well ;-) . All of that has been easier since I've been able to place dealing with dysphoria on a back burner. I'm just over four years into hormone therapy, almost two years since name and gender change as well as a full coming out to the world and a little over a year since BA and partial FFS. It's been an amazing journey, but I'm not done and have so much more yet to do. In the last couple of months, I managed to attend my first big, over the top fundraising Gala and I've been approved to be part of a peer-to-peer support group running through the University Transgender Health program and the local Pride Center. I've been using recovery time to read, write and catch up on all the important TV I've ignored for the last generation.

But the main reason for the post to let you know I adore you all, wish you the best and thank you for being lights in the darkness for me when it seemed there were no others available.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Hey Sarah,

Thanks for the post. Back issues are no fun. I had surgery (lumbar laminectomy) sixteen years ago. I am now dealing with degenerative disc disease.

It is good to hear that you are finding purpose as your true self.

Thanks for checking in - hope your back is healing well and you will feel like posting again

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    Back pain is no fun. I hope the recovery goes well.

Good luck with your recovery Sarah . Back. Problems are awful.

Sarah, best wishes for a speedy recovery! Also best wishes on your journey!
    Gentle Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I had similar back surgery, it take a year for the sciatica to go away.

Just felt better as time went on, do not get discouraged

Hi Sarah,

Good luck with your recovery. I found PT and OT very helpful, as I do all the exercises. But, a lot of patients do not.

Marion