Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: local crossdresser support

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

local crossdresser support

For many years we had a local support group that was affiliated with Tri-Ess. That program began to fade as we became more of a diversity group with members who had started to transition or weren't straight. We lost that national connection and support, then Covid eliminated the chance to meet in person. I met a lot of great people and built the courage to extend my comfort zone. Although I'm well into my transition, I've spent ten times longer as a crossdresser than I have as a transgender woman. It's time to revive some support for that community and it seems like a good idea to me. But I could be wrong. Things have changed rapidly and a lot over the last several years, so I'm looking to this larger community for advice.

I recently started working with the local Pride Center and while they have programs for every other group under the LGBTQ+ umbrella, the one missing is something for crossdressers. Do you think this is something you would take advantage of if it were available in your area? What would attract you to participate and what would keep you away? Have the general conditions in the wider world made this kind of outlet meritless or is there still value.

I look forward to your input as we ponder this possibility.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I'm aware of nothing in my area directed toward crossdressers. There is a LGBTQ+ organization that is having a Pride week the last week of this month. On Saturday, 10/1/22, there is a Pride festival at a local park in their area. I plan to attend in hopes of finding out if there is a group of crossdressers that meet on a regular basis. I have sent an email to the organization's email address with no response. The web site shows a once monthly meeting but gives no details. I was asking for info about that. I stopped by the office address shown but it was closed and from the outside (looking thru the front windows) it really looked like an empty office - no furniture.

What would attract me is something along the lines of a monthly get together where I could go dressed, maybe enjoy lunch or dinner out, and talk about the common problems we face both at home and in public. What would discourage me from attending functions is if they were held in nightclubs and/or bars as I don't drink and simply don't enjoy that environment.

I think there is merit to it as there is strength in numbers.
    Last edited by Heather76; 09-15-2022 at 07:20 PM.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

Yes, I think there is still a need for group meetings like this.

I'm still in the closet with non-CD's and would be interested. Hell, I haven't been out of the house enfemme in years.

That being said, you need to decide what the purpose of the group is.

I left a local group years ago for 2 reasons;

1. They became political and that wasn't what I joined for.

2. They had a very pronounced anti-CD vibe. If you weren't transitioning you were made to feel unwelcome of outright insulted.

Sarah,

Your questions are very timely for a couple of reasons:

1. I was with a number of CD's on a Zoom call last night and the subject of the disappearance of many of the local CD support groups was raised. It is happening nationwide with some of the reasons being the wealth of CD information & support now available on the web and the fact that many colleges have effective LGBTQ centers and offer strong support programs. So younger people don't feel the need for joining local groups. One of the ladies on the call last night runs a local group and is holding their last meeting in 2 weeks due to poor turnout.

2. I have a small local LGBTQ center near me that is starting monthly meet & greet get-togethers for those LGBTQ'ers over 50 yrs. old. I plan to attend to see if other CD's are there & have talked to the leader of the group about starting programs for CD's but the reaction has been lukewarm so far. All of these centers seem to have multiple programs for gay, lez & trans people but CD's always seem to get left out.
    "Care about what other people think of you and you will always be their prisoner" - Lao Tzu

If it was offered I would go.
    Amanda

I would have to agree with Heather. I reached out to a local group affiliated with Tri-Ess but never heard back. Going out once a month to dinner, shopping or something like that would be great.

Sarah, I go to meet ups with several groups in my area. Mostly CDs, but others on the trans spectrum. The groups are on meetup dot com.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Maybe because us CD's r dinosaurs, Sarah?

Young trans/CD people today may not feel the need to present as pretty females. Even females today don't feel the need to present in ultra fem clothing.

In our day CD's presented as either females or males. Today, androgynous looks r popular and totally acceptable.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I am interested Sarah. It was always good to meet with others and share experiences.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Aspiring Member
    I went to a cd meeting once. The door was locked and you had to call and someone would come down and let you in. I stood on the sidewalk for ten minutes waiting to be let in. I was in drab, but if I had been dressed and at all nervous about it, that ten minutes would have seemed like ten hours.

Platinum Member
    Absolutely. I think I need at least the nudge to be out more often than I do at present

I used to attend a local cross-dressing support. It was fun, but the vibe was more geared to transgender people. And they were more interested in going out to socialize then meeting and talking. Didn't consider those like me who were closed. But it was fun while it lasted

Some years ago I went to a well attended group meeting on a once a year basis. It became noticeable over time that numbers declined as it became more possible to go to venues attended initially by members of the LGBTQ community and then venues attended by muggles.

From my experience having offered the chance for folks to actually meet up in a safe venue there's a gulf between actually saying "I want to meet up" and doing it.

Also from my own experience I know just how difficult it is the take that first step out but if you want to progress then it's a step that has to be taken.

So to those saying you'd like to go and meet others my advice is find a LGBTQ friendly venue, set and date and time and post in the meet up section and see what happens. Follow the safe meeting guidance but self help might be your only way forward.

And in a shameless plug if you're in the UK and want to meet others then see the "Debs and Helen" post in the Places to go section.

I think a lot depends on the particular group.

The group I attended was a monthly support group. The core of the group was eventually more like a friends meeting. I am still in contact with some of them, over ten years later.

One of the older members died and we were all invited to her funeral.

It was definitely well worth joining.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

I think such a support group would be quite welcome here in Jersey. I have searched, and cannot find one still functioning
    www.flickr.com/people/194195593@N05/

....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Hi everyone. I feel going to a support group would be so great. Meeting like minded and not to learn, share and get some understanding. Yes I would so go yet I think I would feel out of place in drab but so nervous in dress. Regardless of jeans or a skirt I will try to find something in my neck of the woods. South Bend/Mishawaka Indiana.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    A support group that had monthly meetings was crucial to my eventually being out and about all the time. That was 20 years ago. As great of an idea as that is I'm not sure how relevant that would be today. I've also been a member of an unrelated social group to meet people with similar specific attributes (sorry to be so vague not relevant). Attendance keeps declining. Same older members, no Younger members. Of course if a younger person shows up their first thought is this is for old people. I believe social media has made meeting similar people so much easier. In our situation there's that and so much more acceptance. Younger people don't have the same issues like years ago. I don't know how necessary support groups are today.

Lately I've been looking for some kind of CD support group and am finding that, as a few other people noted, most of what's out there is primarily for the trans community. One of the groups I found had been a crossdressing group for decades before switching focus and rebranding as a trans support group. So I emailed and asked them: hey, I'm "just" a CD and most of what I read on your website is aimed at the trans, genderfluid, and nonbinary folks. Got any room in there for me? They said yes, they take a sort of big-tent view of the LGBTQ+ world and that I'd be welcome to check them out. Haven't done that yet, but it seems promising.

That said, I'm still hesitant because I can't shake that feeling that I'm "just" a weekend CD, and that those groups are for people who really need a support network given all that they're dealing with. I'm probably minimizing my own internal struggle with CDing but you feel what you feel, you know?

Interesting question. One that I'll tentatively answer yes to. I recently (past few months) found out about such a group locally and decided to join. Haven't yet been out of the house but they have a meeting coming up next week and I'm seriously considering it. Got an outfit picked out (well, actually 3 different ones) for the occasion. Just have to work up the courage and get buy-in from the wife.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

My local support group in the UK folded in 2005. I used to attend in the 80s and 90s but stopped going due to marriage and children. When I first joined this forum I started a similar thread. As others have mentioned groups now seem to be under the LGBT umbrella. I attended a group a few years ago .I was the only CD there so never returned. That group too subsequently folded. Groups now appear to be several miles away and meet only once a month instead of weekly. I miss the local group which had changing and storage facilities . It was also a safe haven for individuals that could not dress at home or leave the house dressed.

Banned Read only
    When my wife and I had "The Talk" she said it was alright with her if I found a support group. I looked locally and found none. I will admit it was difficult to find any cross dressing groups since there was no internet. I did find a telephone number for a group in Seattle. I called one evening in the hope of finding out particulars and the person answering the telephone was darn right RUDE. That rude with capitals. When I needed support the most, it was not available. Now? I believe there is still a support group in Seattle that meets and dines out. In my medium size city I believe there are support groups for young people who may be struggling with identity issues. At age 75, there is always a generational divide, no matter what the cause may be.

There is a great group in the Sacramento CA area. They are very active.

A support group would be wonderful but I don't know of any near my small rural community and I don't have the time (or inclination) to travel to the city.
    So many new things to learn

this is from the PFLAG web page....mine is remote only now....

Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 1.57.54 PM.jpg

they had 1 in hawaii and 4 in alaska....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that