Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Are We So Hard On Ourselves?

Why Are We So Hard On Ourselves?

I read posts here and I frequently see someone worrying that they are being "clocked" or if they "pass". It baffles me.

I understand the way it used to be, I am sufficiently old enough to know.

But we live in a different world now. If you go out, if you present well, if you have common courtesy, NO ONE CARES!

Yes, we live in a troubled world, but those fears for safety are for everyone, not specifically us.

I have been out well over a thousand times and I have never passed and I have never been made to feel uncomfortable.

Just take a deep breathe and relax. You are a worthy human being and how you wish to dress yourself is not an issue.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

I worried a lot when I first went out but that passed as time and experience did.
    That was nearly 20 years ago.

Now the worry is different for many. We see these "hate" crimes every day. Someone being punched from behind for no reason, attacked as they stand on a corner because they are different. It's no longer total fear of discovery, now it's just fear because so many people feel they have the right to attack anyone for any reason.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Thank you Kandi. These words of wisdom I will be taking to heart as I am about to undertake my first extended outing en femme. Super excited and apprehensive at the same time, so your words are well placed and encouraging to me.
    www.flickr.com/people/194195593@N05/

Kandi you are so right.
    Times are very different than 20 years ago, but dressing is not looked down on as much as it used to be.
    I came out in 2008 so 14 years in the world for me.
    Relax is great advice.

Cheryl T I agree with your comments as well. There are crazy people out there.
    Last edited by TAG; 09-18-2022 at 09:17 PM.

I think for me, it's an issue of privacy. There's people I don't want to know, because I don't want to affect them in some way.

It may be something you do for you, in you spare time, unless you want to be totally out and I understand people who don't want that to come back on them or people they care about in some way.

Sadly it's just not at the point where there's no difference between the men and women's sections at the store.

Pretty simple, it's not just us, but it's the SO and how she will react. If press for more visibility, then CD at home and relationship will suffer as she is not ready to embrace more openness. I don't know how to effectively raise, resolve and move forward on this issue. And I suspect many are like me and happy to accept what they can accept. It's a compromise to living together.

It would be a wonderful world if no one cared. I live in a semi DADT relationship because my own wife can not tolerate the thought of seeing me fully dressed. She knows, but she cares, a lot. Transgender people are bullied in schools and are the victims of violence in communities every day. Murders of trans women continue to be a national tragedy. Some states continue to pass, or attempt to pass, legislation restricting the rights of trans people. Many states that have enacted laws banning trans girls from participating in girls sports have never had a trans athlete attempt to compete.

Although, thankfully, in certain regions of the country or world there are pockets where few people care and many are tolerant, in general, crossdressing in public or being openly transgender remains something that violates general societal norms and can be risky. Too many people do still care. Nancy

Ive noticed a big difference in the last 5 years, I go everywhere shopping during the day, as long as your dressed sensible and walk with confidence, dont make eye contact, browse as though you dont care who is watching, but obviously I do have a glance round, and guess what, nobody is staring or watching me, I just avoid the obvious, gangs of youngsters or drunks etc, just as you would if you wasnt dressed. I dont think its a big a deal anymore. Dont forget, these days you may be a complete maniac with a knife for all they know, so they will stay away , lol

Just to clarify, when I say no one cares, I am speaking of the general public. Of course, we all have our personal circumstances and our relationships with family and friends. That is a whole different discussion and is one I am sympathetic to very much.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Senior Member Emily in the south's Avatar
    Thank you for the post Kandi. Like Kris, I too am about to go on my first major out of town trip next month. Four days of adventure.
    Your words will be in my thoughts as I attempt to enjoy myself.

Emily

Reality Check
    People do care. They may not make comments or threaten you, but they do notice. If they are strangers, it doesn't matter, but if you are recognized by a neighbor, someone you work with or go to church with, it can be a big deal with serious consequences.

Don't let the pink fog cloud your thinking.
    Krisi

Sign I saw in the window of a psychotherapists office in Milwaukee many years ago:

"People spend too much time worrying about what other people think of them when they don't"
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Kandi, like Kris and Emily, I appreciate your post, too, as I'm about to make my 1st journey out where there will be lots of people who will see Heather. It's a Pride festival so I certainly don't expect any issues; but, I'm still nervous about being out in public fully en femme. I've been out 2 other times but had very little interaction with others.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

With respect, I disagree. We do not see these things "every day". They do happen, of course, but with nowhere near the frequency that should give us pause because most of us are not sex workers. That group is virtually always in danger. The TG person who comports herself as would an average cis woman, including her choices of route and venue, need not worry.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

I do not like getting clocked but it does not bother me that much. It just means I did not work hard enough on my appearance.

A very interesting post Kandi. I've been wondering about something that is similar vein. Does our "male" competitive streak rear its head here? Wanting to be better at looking good?
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

Platinum Member
    Honestly, I have been out a lot in both major cities and rural communities, daytime and after dark. I have no illusions about passing, (although I wish I could), and I have NEVER had a bad expereince.

PS: but for spending some time at Houston trans-friendly night spots, most of my outings have been daylight or early evenings at places where the general public goes. And on the nights out, I made a point of parking close to the door, and limited myself to two drinks and then soda water. Simple precautions.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 09-20-2022 at 08:26 AM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    #1. If u think u passed? U probably didn't . Because people treat u quite differently when they believe u to be a female without a doubt!

#2. Because EVERYONE treats me differently, (see #1 above), I get stressed going out to vanilla venues dressed!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 09-20-2022 at 01:03 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Kandi,

So true! thank you for your post.

Davina

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    The TG person who comports herself as would an average cis woman, including her choices of route and venue, need not worry.
    My point exactly.

Statistically, if you move out of your immediate locale, I en of you pass someone who knows you, they are unlikely to recognise you,

Kerry, correct, I was in Manchester and one of my work collegues walked right past me, and i'd been working with him for several years

I?m in warrington. We could have passed each other in the last week😂

Kandi,

I was somewhat nervous the first 2 or 3 times I went out in public en femme but not as nervous as I expected to be. Since then I get out an average of 4 days per week and absolutely love it. I pass in most simple situations with a small amount of verbal exchange but I've reached the point where I don't care if I do or not. I've also been clocked and again really don't care. I'm just happy to be Fiona. I use common sense about where I go and have been out somewhat less than 100 times but have not had a bad experience so far.

Fiona
    Last edited by Fiona_44; 09-19-2022 at 07:22 PM.
    "Care about what other people think of you and you will always be their prisoner" - Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    With respect, I disagree. We do not see these things "every day". They do happen, of course, but with nowhere near the frequency that should give us pause because most of us are not sex workers. That group is virtually always in danger. The TG person who comports herself as would an average cis woman, including her choices of route and venue, need not worry.
    Bingo.

I've been out probably 500 times in the last 6 years without issue. Kandi can attest there are worse things that can happen to you than being outed, and told the story recently that a few hours after running 14 miles with someone, that person did not recognize Kandi when they met face-to-face.

Saturday Night I went to a rock concert with about 2,500 attendees and zero issue. I'm sure some noticed that I probably wasn't a GG, but if I cared I wouldn't have gone. And with all of the security, my personal risk because I was dressed was zero.
    I'm Sun-Dee at Kandi's Land; read about my outings here:

https://www.kandis-land.com/author/dee/