Thread: Shopping stories

Gender Undecided Fainne the King's Avatar

Shopping stories

So I went to the mall the other day, in my regular clothes, and I noticed a couple things. First of all, in one store there were a few effeminate men picking out skirts. No one looked at them strange, they were very nice and complimented my friends shoes. The salespeople were helpful to them and had no problem with them trying on the skirts in the store. I wanted to pat them on the back for being able to be so open.
    Secondly, I went to look for some men's clothes, so I was on the men's side of the store, and the salespeople were nice, asked me if I needed help, and let me use the men's dressing room. Now they probably thought I was a lesbian, but regardless, I found it much less of a big deal than I thought it would be to try on the opposite clothes while I wasn't crossdressed. Or maybe it's just that the stores I shop in are more tolerant of the gay community. (Hot Topic, GAP) Have you guys encountered things like this? Or on the other hand, salespeople being rude to you?
    I tried to be a boy
    tried to be a girl
    tried to be a mess
    tried to be the best
    I guess I did it wrong
    -Madonna

Platinum Member
    hiya Fainne,

I dress in male clothes all the time, and there was a time i would just buy the item of clothing and leave the store as i thought i couldnt possibly go in the men's changing rooms.......well a few weeks back i wanted to really badly to buy this shirt i saw but being large breasted i needed to try it on......so i thought im not buying it then returning it if it dont fit........so went to the guys changing rooms........tried the shirt on no problems, didnt even get so much as a raised eyebrow..........will i be changing in the boys room from now on????????? definitely yes

i always go shopping in the town next to ours where no one nos me and i always try on the items b4 i buy in the mens changeing rooms and noone has ever said anything just the other day i got myself new shirt and shoes and the assistant was well nice

Shopping is a funny thing at times ....I notice myself that no one pays mind to a women in the male section digging thru everything from undies to outies..however when I myself in guy mode enter the womens area ..and do the same ..i can sense being watched by male and female customers ..whys that guys ?

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlyn
    Shopping is a funny thing at times ....I notice myself that no one pays mind to a women in the male section digging thru everything from undies to outies..however when I myself in guy mode enter the womens area ..and do the same ..i can sense being watched by male and female customers ..whys that guys ?
    i think if what is seen as a GM is routing through undies/ womens clothes.....there is this automatic stigma of 'perv' which is so wrong, plenty of guys shop for their female partners........but if us FTMs look thru the mens section we're seen as butch lesbians.......

Must be us Tg's coz when I see.. either or.. shopping in the others section I think nothing of it ...just shoppers looking for a deal no matter which gender of clothing it may be ..its funny.. I will go to the Goodwill store in male mode to the women's section and its a sure thing I get looks from the ladies ..but when I'm in Sher mode ...no one cares ...tis a good thing tho in that respect ..lol

Sorry boys Girlie taking over your thread

I’ve always found it quite easy shopping for female clothes whilst in male mode
    yeah you get one or two funny looks. but mostly the assistants have been friendly and helpful. and have used the changing facilities a few time.. So guys just go for it

Caroline
    Ill go back to the girls department store now

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlyn
    ..but when I'm in Sher mode ...no one cares ...tis a good thing tho in that respect ..lol
    you must pass as a Genectic girl then...and from your pics i say you do

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline Simmons
    Sorry boys Girlie taking over your thread

I’ve always found it quite easy shopping for female clothes whilst in male mode
    yeah you get one or two funny looks. but mostly the assistants have been friendly and helpful. and have used the changing facilities a few time.. So guys just go for it

Caroline
    Ill go back to the girls department store now
    lol ello caroline....glad you could join us!!

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex
    Well, if my parentals are around then I use the women's changerooms, even if directed (by the salesperson) to use the mens.
    Otherwise, I usually use the mens. If they have the changerooms seperate then it's definately the mens rooms, because there's no way I'm going all the way over to the womens section just to stand in line for their chnagerooms and get glared/stared at. If they're together then I just go whichever direction the salesperson points me in, which is usually a good indication as to how well I'm passing. And they usually point me towards the mens.
    you lucky so-in-so........very rarely do i get seen as a boy.....bugs the heck outta me

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    I buy cloths from same company so i know they fit. But when I go out I pass almost all the time.

I only got the "this is the men's department" once, but I think it's because I was just being insulted for being a little girl laughing at things. So that doesn't count.

Otherwise, I have a feeling I live in a bubble of a city, I haven't actually noticed any difference between the men's and women's changerooms because everyone just uses any of them. No one makes faces, and it seems that to work in a clothing store as a male you have to be a certified flamboyant man. At least at the Gap.
    Two monks were watching a flag flapping in the wind. One said to the other, "The flag is moving."
    The other replied, "The wind is moving."
    Huineng overheard this. He said, "Not the flag, not the wind; mind is moving."

Quote Originally Posted by Wren
    Otherwise, I have a feeling I live in a bubble of a city . . . and it seems that to work in a clothing store as a male you have to be a certified flamboyant man. At least at the Gap.
    LOL! I guess that means if all else fails, I can always apply for a job at the Gap. :cheeky: Good to know.

I sometimes think I'd like to live in a bubble - away from all the hostility and discrimination in this world.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Woman of the Revolution Bridget's Avatar
    It's because a lot of women shop for other people. At least the gender stereotype goes that women are shoppers and browsers. If not shopping for SOs and children, they may be shopping for friends or whatnot. It's not conspicuous.

On the other side of the fence, although a lot of fellow MtFs say they feel watched when shopping, I don't really feel unwelcome. I think what it is, is that if you're not overly nervous and shifty, people will assume the simplest and most conventional explanation. A nervous person always attracts attention. And even if you do attract attention, they are more concerned that you might steal something, rather than wear teh womens clothing. But your results may vary.

Dressing rooms are another issue, however. People are more vigilant about the women's changing rooms, in my experience. There is a clerk inside to watch and count garments, the door can only be opened by an associate and other issues. Conversely on the men's side, the door is open and nobody is inside. But it's more related to theft deterrance rather than catching crossdressers. Although it must be admitted that also a woman in the men's changing room is considered less "dangerous" than a man in the women's chainging room, for obvious reasons. In that sense, it could be considered more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget
    I think what it is, is that if you're not overly nervous and shifty, people will assume the simplest and most conventional explanation. A nervous person always attracts attention. And even if you do attract attention, they are more concerned that you might steal something
    True. Thus I try to discount any uncomfortable vibe I think I'm receiving from bystanders. It's all in the head, it's all in the head.

Sweet as Roses CharlaineCadence's Avatar

sorry guys this gal wants to add a blurb

I know that when I go shopping esp at walmart, target, macy's , jc penny's, dress bard and marshels I anm takes right to the ladies dressing rooms and an attendent will normaly stand out side unless i have someone with me. then that stans outside the door for me. I have been treated very well excpt for one incident at fredricks. But it wasn't my fault. The clerk walked away and the door didnt lock right. then some woman walked in as i was fixing my dress and my hair was on the hook. she freaked out. I was mortified. i bearly got me hair back on right and left before someone caught up with me to appolijize. All in all i find that we as transgendered people are becoming more and more accepted as the thought of self exprission is alowwed to grow more and more. sorry to ramble.
    kiss kiss
    char
    Love is like the rose,
    Beautiful and Sweet,
    Move the wrong way,
    And be pricked by it's thorns,
    Painful it the wound,
    as the heart bleeds,
    Feeding the rose that is hidden,
    Feeding and growing till it is strong,

My life is like an open book to love me is to know me. to know me is to love me.

www.myspace.com/charlainecadencenord

Quote Originally Posted by CharlaineCadence
    All in all i find that we as transgendered people are becoming more and more accepted as the thought of self exprission is alowwed to grow more and more.
    I think you're right, Char. I think salespeople are becoming more aware and accepting - at least here in the U.S. Just last week I took a stroll through the men's department at a clothing store near my job and was especially looking at the suits and blazers. When one of the salesmen approached me, I thought he was going to ask me if I was shopping for my boyfriend, husband, etc., but he just smiled and pointed out to me that the shorter jackets (I'm 5'2") were on the other side of the floor. He made my day.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hot Topic rules!!! Anything goes in there. I love the place!! I feel more at home in that store than any other. Taylor