Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen the new Virgin atlantic dress code

Anyone seen the new Virgin atlantic dress code

PerthNow: Virgin Atlantic introduces gender neutral uniforms for flight crew alllowing skirts and heels for men.
    https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/avi...-men-c-8393504

I love it! (Maybe it's time for me to consider a new career )

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth G View Post
    I love it! (Maybe it's time for me to consider a new career )
    HaHa...Me and you and everyone on this forum. We'd all be queuing up in our high heels...

I would love to be on a long flight with a male flight attendant dressed to the nines.

Thinking about how some passengers acted out (to put it mildly) over having to wear a mask... It's one thing (and a great thing it is!) for this to be officially sanctioned by the company. Quite another for it to be accepted by the flying public.

I think this will affect a lot of young people's career choice. I would have affected mine! This is bound to spread to other airlines, too. Flying may be about to become fun again!

It's nice they allow everyone to wear what they want, but I don't think it's really "gender neutral".
    To me that evokes more of everyone wearing the same thing but nothing reflecting gender. Guess I'm old fashioned.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Hmmm. Maybe if I ever get let go from my current employment. I always thought that would be a pretty neat job, but never seriously considered it because I knew the jealousy I would feel everyday, for what my coworkers got to wear, would be too much of thorn in my side. Does that make sense? I don’t know, maybe that sounds dumb.
    So I like dressing like girl. BIG DEAL!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    It's nice they allow everyone to wear what they want, but I don't think it's really "gender neutral".
    To me that evokes more of everyone wearing the same thing but nothing reflecting gender. Guess I'm old fashioned.
    Hmmm. I guess gender neutral has usually meant that girls could wear what the boys wear, but this is the first time I've seen I've seen that the boys could wear what the girls wear, especially since it's such a highly gendered uniform and especially in a job that is entirely dealing with the public. I think the fact that there are only two choices instead of no dress code at all makes it all the better. I think this is a big deal.

I think this is a big deal, too.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

The bean counters figured out skirts cost less to make than trousers.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

I would love to buy one of those uniforms and walk through the airport. Kind of like the female version in Catch Me if You Can!

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    Am just too old fashioned. To me, gender neutral uniform presentation comes off as gender half-way.

A man in a uniform dress outfit would be more appealing with long hair or wig to complete the feminine look. Too, the ladies in the uniform suits would be more appealing losing the overly butch or closely cropped hairdos.

I am in no position to judge, yet I can express my 'druthers'.

This is how wearing “feminine” clothes becomes acceptable in society. We have made huge strides and I am happy to see changes starting to occur on larger stages in the world. I see you Virgin Atlantic Airlines, way to be a leader in inclusion. Thank You!!!
    Rebecca Bas

Platinum Member
    It would not interest me. Whether I am wearing a skirt, shorts or slacks, I am trying to present as a woman. How others perceive me is another matter altogether.

Platinum Member
    When I have flown I have never seen female flight attendants wearing a high heel. It's always flats. It may be a cross dresser's dream to wear high heels, but, really? On a non-stop six hour flight? Pushing carts up and down an aisle? I do agree with Kim. A man wearing a skirt is a man wearing a skirt. How about the rest of it; the breast forms, the butt and hip pads, full makeup, etc. I think the European Union (or whoever) has some rules and regulations protecting the rights of trans flight attendants; whether male or female.

I find it interesting that we're not all of one mind on this. Not that one or the other is wrong, just interesting when we have some divide like this. I also assume that the boys that wear the girl's uniform would also wear makeup and maybe long hair. If someone was wearing a beard or was otherwise masculine, that'd change my mind. Someone could make a mockery of it. Now that I think about it, that might happen, too.

Not quite on the level of Virgin Atlantic, but I think about the guys we've probably all seen at Ulta. I've yet to see one (that I know of) fully cross-dressed, but most of them wear at least a little makeup. Those that I've seen in full face makeup I think are gorgeous! They'd probably make beautiful women if they wanted to go that way, but since they don't they make gorgeous guys. Those guys are very brave and are trendsetters.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisthebride View Post
    This is how wearing ?feminine? clothes becomes acceptable in society. We have made huge strides and I am happy to see changes starting to occur on larger stages in the world. I see you Virgin Atlantic Airlines, way to be a leader in inclusion. Thank You!!!
    Inclusion, yes. Acceptance, yes. However, I do feel a certain let-down that we might be becoming mainstream. I like the uniqueness, feeling a bit different, feeling like I am doing something over the top that not everyone would do, something that would surprise people if they knew. I just got here; I miss those days already!
    www.flickr.com/people/194195593@N05/

I guess we can assume that Virgin Atlantic does not fly to the UAE or other place where religious dogma passes as law.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Burton View Post
    Inclusion, yes. Acceptance, yes. However, I do feel a certain let-down that we might be becoming mainstream. I like the uniqueness, feeling a bit different, feeling like I am doing something over the top that not everyone would do, something that would surprise people if they knew. I just got here; I miss those days already!
    I understand what you are saying, and it is a valid feeling. But I also think about the CD’s who only dream of being able to dress in public and not feel ashamed or afraid. Being able to dress fully en femme or as a boy in a skirt and blouse should be available to everyone.
    Rebecca Bas

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Burton View Post
    I dunno. I say we let it go mainstream and deal with the mediocrity problem later.

I think the truly committed will always have an edge on the amateurs and the people who are now in the closet would be less restricted as well.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

A current tele ad for Virgin Atlantic already features a male with a mustache, wearing full make up, including red eye shadow and lip stick.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    A small step in a big world. But that is just so cool.

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...ew-commercial/

Interesting. Virgin ad and accompanying article from April 2022.

It will be interesting to see if the policy lasts - and if there are more than one or two who do it.

It'll also be interesting to see what kind of pushback comes from the customers, and if it affects the company's profits.

Sadly, I'm skeptical and I suspect that it's more of a "look how inclusive we are" campaign by the company, than an actual policy. In a year of two, I bet that it'll be like it never happened.
    I HOPE I'm wrong.

I think it's fantastic and should help pave the way for other companies to offer the same. The only issue I see is that although the airlines are ok with it, the general public is a very mixed bag.
    Younger people tend to be more accepting but there are far too many gammons who will object, kick up and fuss and complain. They are the problem. Hopefully they stick to easyjet and fly off to marbs or benedorm where they can crisp up and eat full english breakfasts.
    Foxy Roxy has entered the building