Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone seen the new Virgin atlantic dress code

This is so cool, can you imagine this, even ten years ago?

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    I see flight attendants all the time at a train station connected to a major airport. Many of them do wear heels but certainly not high heels.

The company I work for in Australia is very inclusive. So much so we have a people and culture division and regularly have gender briefings as well as other minority briefings.
    Lately we had a 2 hour seesion provided by the company on how to respond to trans individuals within the workforce and included a webinar with a respected trans lecturer on how to navigate the potential problems surrounding gender and pronouns etc.
    Now we have the option to wear anything we want to work but - from a management point of view they have ticked the gender box but I hate to think what would happen if I turned up to work in a skirt and heels. All the talk in the world doesnt get around the bigotry and sexual inuendo that goes with ignorance by the people you work with or are around you.
    Still we are making progress and one day - Ill be retired by then but one day maybe it will be accepted and normalised.
    I have to give Virgin a high 5 for their attempt at inclusion but I fear itll fail in near future.

Several years ago a male wore a womans flight attendant uniform and served as an FA on a Virgin. Atlantic flight?Richard Branson. I think VA is the first company to press the ?Its Okay? button in the Customer Facing Hospitality vein and I doubt the last.

The guy in the skirt looks stereotypically gay, the women in the suits look stereotypically butch. It would be a lot nicer to see "real guys" (sorry, don't know how else to put it) in skirts. Women of all types in "male" clothing, of course, is already mainstream so it won't be a shocker.

I'm also wondering if there's a middle ground. If the male pilot wants to wear a skirt does he have to wear heels as well, or makeup? Personally I'd love to fly in a skirt (haven't had the chance yet, but I bet I will eventually!), but I'd be hesitant to wear heels with the rudder controls as they are.