Thread: An evening at the theater

An evening at the theater

I've written here before about having bought myself a season subscription to a local theater. The first play opened Friday night, and I went there. This was the first time I've ever had the courage to take public transportation en femme, and it went well. I had been afraid I might run into some transphobe on the subway, but -- as I well know, intellectually -- no one was on the train looking for crossdressers, and I was comfortable enough both from a safety perspective and dealing with the novelty of being out in public that I was able to read my Kindle going and coming without being distracted.

This was also the first time that I've dressed up while my wife was home and knowing that I was dressing up. We discussed it beforehand, and I agreed to IM her when I was ready to leave so she could go to another room away from the route to the garage. (She doesn't want to see me dressed up.) That worked well enough, except that she messaged me around 11 that she was going to bed, and when I arrived at home, she was in the kitchen getting hot chocolate -- so she got a full dose of Nancy.

At the theater, I had no worries about mixing with the other patrons. I had ordered my ticket under the name Nancy ____, and I had the receipt on my phone just in case, but I didn't need it. Using the ladies' restroom wasn't as nerve-wracking as it had been in March, partly because I waited until the traffic seemed to have died down during the intermission, and so I didn't have to stand in line like last time. I had several occasions when I needed to speak, and my attempt at a female voice didn't seem to raise any eyebrows.

I learned from this outing that I need to do a better job of prepping my wig. I spent over an hour getting it ready, and I didn't get downtown in time to have dinner. As it was a rainy night, I didn't want to get it afterward and ended up with a burger from a McDonald's drive-thru.

All in all, though, it was a pretty good excursion. My next show is in November, and I can't wait!
    Nancy
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life that you love, you have to find the courage to live it." -- John Irving

Sounds like a marvelous outing. I hope you enjoyed the play and weren't too distracted about how much fun you were having just being there as Nancy.
    I hope that all goes well (or improves) after your wife "got a full dose of Nancy".
    Last edited by GracieRose; 10-02-2022 at 09:04 PM.

Nancy, Great you got to go out as Nancy and that everything went well. Any residual effects from your wife seeing Nancy?
    Crissy

Very nice I would love to go to a play or concert dressed

Hi Nancy, isnt it wierd that your brain tells you all sorts of nasty things are going to happen to you, then when your out there the reality is it doesnt, and you start to thing what was all the fuss about. Glad you had an amazing time, it only gets better as your confidence grows

What a wonderful way to enjoy your Nancy time! I too am interested to see what happens after your wife had seen you full en femme. That was an early boundary with my wife also, but after having been "caught" similarly she warmed to the idea, and now it's no problem. I hope it goes that way for you too.
    www.flickr.com/people/194195593@N05/

The theatre is on my bucket list of things to do enfemme. Your experience has made me more determined to do it.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Platinum Member
    Great evening! How was the play?

What was your wifes reaction to seeing you in girl mode?

Sounds like an awesome outing it also seems like your wife is warming up to see more of Nancy you are a luck girl!

Nancy,

Sounds like you had a lovely time. Being out in public en femme is such a unique and wonderful experience, isn't it?
    "Care about what other people think of you and you will always be their prisoner" - Lao Tzu

Nancy, I'm glad you had a good time. Like Kim, I'm wondering what your wife's reaction was.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

A lot of you have asked about my wife's reaction when she saw me. She said, "Echh!". Then she went into the bathroom, and since I hadn't stopped in the ladies' room one last time before leaving the theater, I rushed upstairs to the other bathroom. When I came back downstairs and hadn't changed, she said she was surprised that I hadn't done so. I pointed out that I was hungry, and my burger was getting cold. She went to bed. (I didn't point out that I wanted to enjoy the experience just a little longer.)

The next morning, we did have some little bit of conversation. She said that she hadn't realized I was taking the subway, and so when I took longer to get home, she started worrying that I had had an accident or gotten beaten up. At some other point -- maybe the afternoon before I got dressed -- we talked a little bit about why she doesn't want to go out with me, and she said that while she wouldn't object to being out in public with someone else like me, she didn't want to be out with her husband dressed up like a woman. She still holds a number of judgments and stereotypes about crossdressers and people's reaction to them that are kind of outdated, IMHO.

It's kind of interesting that in our DADT relationship, she is very supportive of transgender people as well as the rest of the LGBTQ spectrum. She knows that I care about transgender issues and regularly forwards me articles, etc. As she puts it to me, though, if she had wanted to marry a woman, she would have married one. Generally, she likes the kind of man that I am, but this part of me, introduced to her 13 years into our marriage, wasn't part of the original bargain. I can certainly understand her point of view.
    Nancy
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life that you love, you have to find the courage to live it." -- John Irving