Thread: Blast from the past 80s cards

Blast from the past 80s cards

I was a 80s child and I collected Garbage Pail Kids. I was looking threw my collection and found some crossdressing cards. Whats your opinion of how we are depicted then?
    IMG_20221024_211818019.jpg
    images.jpg

Well the first one is Tim Curry's over the top drag character from a cult movie, so, loosely CD-related. The second one is more like it. Since it's Garbage Pail Kids, a countermeasure to save poor innocent offspring from the insufferable cuteness of the Cabbage Patch Kids, it had to be provocative, hence crossdressing was apparently deemed provocative, which makes sense for this era. It is a bit odd to see these sexually suggestive ("Kinky") pictures in a collection targeted at kids and young teenagers. But not that odd when you know that figures from the underground artistic scene of the 70's like Art Spiegelman were involved
    Last edited by DianeT; 10-25-2022 at 12:46 AM.

What was in The 80s wouldn't fly today....I'll bite my tongue now lol
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

There is a lot that "flies" now that would not have in the 80's!

I never got into the Cabbage Patch stuff. I was too old, and our daughter didn't show up until the end of the decade. It is a bit weird to see kinky stuff intended for children! The first card I get with the Rocky Horror reference, but I wonder I there isn't some hidden reference in the second?

Platinum Member
    My daughter collected those cards. Her collection is still around on a shelf in our store room. They are actively collected. Check out ebay. Check out the sales prices for "Atom Bomb." There's money in those cards.

Obviously not done by someone trying to promote good crossdressing...

They're both funny to me. Got to keep a sense of humor, or you might as well quit breathing.

Since I can laugh at myself, I can laugh at these.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Silver Member
    Being a 1980s kid, I was a huge fan of GPK cards, had a near complete set of all of them at one point (they were later stolen by one of my "friends" I had at the time, along with some of my NES games.) The first card I had was "Half Nelson". Prophetic I suppose.