Thread: 10/31/22 NYT "Why Are Men Now Wearing Lace?"

10/31/22 NYT "Why Are Men Now Wearing Lace?"

I found an interesting article in yesterday's New York Times about how much lace is appearing in men's fashion. There are some great photos of men in lace shirts, gowns and capes. It seems things are slowly changing. If you search "lace" in the NYT website the article should pop right up.

-Nancy
    Last edited by NonbiNancy; 11-01-2022 at 02:06 PM.

I?ve noticed the same thing. Several recent articles in the WSJ along the same lines. Other interesting articles included how working women are banning underwire bras, heels & hose. What?s new. It?s all about comfort. Not me. It?s still underwires, hose, and shapewear. I agree, it?s Cole Porter, Anything Goes. Got my vote.

Haven't noticed that much out here in the Rocky Mountain West - in fact, not at all. But it will likely get here in due time.

This is one of those articles that report on trends that show how much our society's attitudes toward gender are shifting - not just in the U.S. but many other places as well. And I suspect some of the negative actions toward gender variance in some parts of the country is an attempt to maintain the long lived perspective of a traditional broad boundary line between male and female gender. Not uncommon when new thinking appears in a diverse society - there are those who resist and with something as important as gender identity the resistance can get heated. Often an amicable middle ground is reached when people realize it is biological and very often not a choice. Acceptance Happens!

Back in 2012 the NYT ran an article about how to deal with young boys who wanted to wear dresses. I was one of those, but in the 1950's there was no way that was going to happen. To make a long story short, reading that article showed me that my early desires were a normal variation that persisted for the next 60 years in spite of my hatred for it and all the trouble that internal push caused because I resisted it.

The article allowed me to open the forbidden door and step into the world of accepting that I am a type of transgender person and always had been which is why I could not eliminate it from my life no matter what I did. I wonder if such a widely read article about lace on men might provide that breakthrough for some men who are struggling with their own gender identity? It is a beautiful thing to set all that needless resistance aside and find the real and fundamental YOU. And then make the choice to be YOU, whatever that means for YOU.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    "Man bites dog!" Is big news when it happens because it rarely ever does!

When I actually SEE a man wearing lace? Then, I'll think about it!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Thanks all for your perspectives. Gretchen, I resonated with your story. My experience was a bit different in that I didn't hate that part of myself (some self-acceptance). I was afraid to be found out and deeply hid it from everyone but I loved it (I couldn't wait until my parents would be out for the night!).

I do hope these small strides we see will slowly make a difference. On the west coast I do see more and more young men dressing in a gender neutral fashion. I know I feel more comfortable dressing in a neutral way these days (I'm still not fully "out" in public).

And NancySue, I'm with you on tight clothes. They're the best!!

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    "Man bites dog!" Is big news when it happens because it rarely ever does!

When I actually SEE a man wearing lace? Then, I'll think about it!
    Well, Shoe Lace/s is actually quite common.