Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's Talk Voice!

I think its important to mention the practice component at this point, as it is often misunderstood. How do you practice, and what are you practicing? Are you just doing the same things over and over, essentially practicing errors? Having a goal in mind as you practice is essential - are you trying to develop pitch? Projection? Articulation? Resonance? In teaching music to folks, so often they will do the same things over and over, expecting to improve, but in fact they might be just practicing what they are doing wrong...so the development of good practice habits is essential component in having success at this not at all easy pursuit.
    www.flickr.com/people/194195593@N05/

Personally, I harass my cat, begging it to share it's magic(cats are magic, you know that right?)

I was blessed with one of those FM disc jockey voices, low and resonant that I truly love except that there is just no way to feminize it and not sound contrived.
    Just one more reason that I am forever destined to live my life as a man in a dress... There are worse fates

But who knows, maybe one day my cat will share her magic...

Oh, yeah. I bought lottery tickets, too. LOL
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post

If asked the time a man will say "12-30. A woman, "Oh let me look, oh my is that the time, 12-30 already". It's as much about what you say, how you say it as the actual voice you use.
    Yes, a woman will use many more words than a man to convey the same information.
    Krisi

Sorry hun , I would love to provide some guidance but I am what I am....I do try to lower tones while speaking instead of larger ones..
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

We talk about people watching, getting familiar with femme mannerisms well picking up on the "it's also what you say " point, we need to eavesdrop into conversations between women and take note of just how they phrase sentences and the intonation contained therein.

One important point, make eye contact especially if talking to women. Non verbal communication is a big part of how they interact.

Empathy is far more prevalent in women's conversations. Agreement and affirmation play a real part.

Sign Language

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    even with voice changing software, I sound like "Sandy" the squirrel from SpongeBob. Normally my accent is not a problem.

Senior Member Emily in the south's Avatar
    That is so funny Marina!
    I almost spilled my morning coffee reading that.. I'll bet your girl voice with your southern accent sounds just fine.

Emily
    Last edited by char GG; 11-08-2022 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Not necessary to quote the post directly before yours.

I definitely feminized my voice. Eight years later it is still a work in progress. But even though I will sometimes get called ‘sir’ on the phone, in person, my voice only rarely outs me.

I felt that I seriously needed to feminize my voice, if I wanted to pass at all. I’m tall for a girl (5’ 10”), with an inverted triangle body shape - relatively wide shoulders, narrow hips. Yet my facial features started out fairly androgynous. With good makeup techniques and the right padding and clothes, I was able to pass pretty well as a natal woman who just happens to be built like a buff Amazon. But my voice? Well, my adult speaking voice as a guy was the rich, smooth Bass you would expect from a male classical radio station announcer. My singing voice ranged from the low end of Bass to High Tenor. I could have sung any part in a barbershop quartet. But if, as a girl, I spoke like that to order a drink, everyone would be looking behind me to see which guy was playing ventriloquist tricks with his girlfriend! My biggest advantage, however, was the vocal control I learned with a lifetime of singing.

Like others, I also found some helpful trans voice lessons stuff on the Internet. Spent a few months practicing what they said, and got good enough results in three months that my first attempts at speaking in a feminine voice didn’t raise any eyebrows or cause immediate suspicions. After four years of social outings en femme, and four more living full time female as I committed to actually transitioning, I can now sing Karaoke performing songs by female artists ranging from Karen Carpenter to Katy Perry, and my cisgender female friends say I sing better and can hit higher notes than they can!

Here were the main take aways:

* Pitch is important, but as others mentioned, you often only need to upshift by a couple of notes. Don’t start with falsetto, or aim for Lyric Soprano. Many women speak and sing in the Alto range, or even lower pitch.

* Resonance control does much more to feminize the male voice. When a boy’s voice changes to that of an adult man, his voice box becomes a larger, more resonant cavity. Tightening the throat when you speak, and ‘speaking from higher in your throat’ can reduce that resonance significantly. Think of what you need to do to sing as a high Irish Tenor. The vocal control is the same. So… practice by singing what you want to say!

* With a higher pitch and less resonance, you are making progress, but you need to use feminine vocal patterns as well. Don’t speak in a monotone. Women usually modulate their pitch and inflection a lot more than men do.

* But women also phase things differently. They use longer phrases, and tend to ‘ask permission’ rather than clearly demanding. A guy ordering at the bar will say, “Gimme a whisky on the rocks.” A girl would more likely say, “Hummmm, let’s see… Do you have any Jameson Whisky? Oh! You do? Yes, I think I’d like that, if I may? Oh, and light ice, please? Thank you!” Pay attention to how natal women speak, and copy their patterns. That will, seriously, do far more for enabling you to speak convincingly as a woman. Gretta Garbo had a smooth, deep voice, but still spoke like a woman. There are many popular female actresses and singers today with lower pitch voices. Their vocal patterns are what makes a good feminine presentation succeed.
    Last edited by Ceera; 11-10-2022 at 07:30 AM.

TL;DR. This TS person is apparently an audio engineer / musician or something, and has it down.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/TransVoiceLessons
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

My voice is too deep to be passible en femme. I try to talk in a more softer tone, but even that isn't good enough I'm sure. Good thing I'm more of a quiet person and let my mannerisms speak more for me than what I say, I guess!