Thread: Crossdressing and type 1 diabetes.

Crossdressing and type 1 diabetes.

Hi all

Im a type 1 diabetic and just got a insulin pump that administers my insulin, and it is connected to me all the time via a canula line.

Question is there any other diabetics here that use a pump that could help me with how you store your pump while dressed and while sleeping with bra and boobs and so on.

I bought a belt that has a pockets but find it hard to use, thinking i may just stick it in my bra without clip attached.

Thank you
    Mell

Melissa,

I'm not T1, but I have a family member who is, and also has a pump.

Having the pump is a real pain, but it's far better than many needles per day.

I wouldn't put it in your bra for a longer period. With it sitting right against your skin, you'll warm the insulin, and that's not good for it. If the insulin starts reaching temps above 30c, you will have less effective insulin and run higher during the night. You could counter this with a higher basal rate, but the insulin will be increasingly compromised the longer it is warm.

If you want to sleep crossdressed, you might consider clipping the pump to a girdle, whether open bottom or not. It's firm enough that the pump shouldn't go swimming around the bed during the night. Some pretty pajama bottoms might be an option as well.

How much do you move around during the night? If you don't move that much, you can let the pump rest on the bed or under the pillow near you (depending on where your infusion site is).

Question for you; I know virtually nothing about Australian health care. Is the pump covered by national health insurance? How does that work? What about supplies?
    Last edited by JulieC; 11-12-2022 at 10:35 PM.

Hi julie

Thank you for info on bra that is a good point and also i think the girdle or garter is a great idea, i dont move alot but i do roll onto my side so laying it next to me worrys me a bit.

Also the cost of pump here in australia is $8,800 or so but with my private health insurance it is fully covered same with any ambulance call outs. I also get my meds alot cheaper as i am of abpriginal decent and we get subsidised on our medication so instead of $50 for 5 packs of 5 viles or pen fills it only costs me $6.80 which is great for me needles and all are free.

I've been using an insulin pump since 2009 so I hope my experience will be helpful. The first thing I'd suggest is using the longest canula tubing available to you. The ones I use are 43" long. I use a belt clip style holder for the pump. It's actually a part of the pump apparatus. When wearing a dress, I clip the pump to the front center of my bra. Depending upon which bra I'm wearing, I may clip it so the pump is on the inside of the bra or on the outside. With the DD forms I use, there is plenty of recessed storage between the bra cups so the pump isn't obvious. When wearing jeans or pants, I clip it to the belt as I wear tunic tops that cover it. I could also clip it to my bra; but, it's more convenient on the belt.

When I go to bed, I either clip to the front of my bra or lay it on the bed under the sheet and blanket. We have a king bed and I have enough tubing length I can lay it at the center of the bed. It doesn't interfere with my wife nor does it restrict me regarding movements in bed. In fact, when I lay down in bed, I lay on my side facing the side of the bed with my back to the pump. I happen to sleep on the right side of the bed and always (for 13 years so far) have the canula on the left side of my abdomen on/near my waistline. Thus, when I roll on my right side the tubing is going over the side of my body rather than under my body. I always shift in my sleep onto my back and basically sleep on my back most of the night. If I were to roll onto my left side (facing the pump) I would not be interfering with it in any manner. The first thing I used to do was slide the pump up under my pillow. That was before I started CDing and worked fine; but, clipping it to my bra works great. The pump I now have is a slimmer design that what I used to wear and the clip is different. The style I used to have would have been best in bed laying under the sheets rather than clipped to my bra.

If you'd like to see a picture, send me a message and I can send you a photo of how I clip to my 2 styles of bras.

Congratulations on getting the pump. From 1994 until I got the pump in 2009, my average A1c was in the 8.4 range. In the 13 years since using the pump, my average A1c has been 6.75. They are a God send. If you're half as happy with it as I am, you will be 100% happy you have it.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

Thank you heather

Ionly got mine yesterday have always been on needles(syringes) and been on same stuff for the last 28 years since diagnosed eith type 1 when i was 9 its a big change as i was use to having only 2 needles a day and had my average levels at 7.5 so yeah see what happens

I’ve been a pumper for 5 years now. Previously used insulin pens. Numbers were very inconsistent with pens. Went on the pump and A1C dropped from 8.5 to 6.0. It hovers between 6.0 and 6.5 now. When wearing pants I clip my pump to my waistband or to my front pocket. If I wear a bra I clip it to the center point between the cups or if a bra without forms I clip it inside a cup. I discovered that I have to wear a bra with a nightie for pump clipping because the pump is too heavy to clip to the bodice of the nightie or to the panties of a babydoll. I bought a pillow for pumps which is a small throw pillow with a pocket sewed on it for the pump to slide into. It prevents losing the pump in bed or rolling over on it. I find it difficult to clip a pump on when I wear a dress or skirt because it ruins the drape of the dress or skirt. So I bought a product called StashBandz Garter Purse which looks like an oversized garter made of a silky fabric with lots of lace. It was designed for women to be able to stash a phone, ID, and cash without having to drag a purse. It has two pockets to hold a phone and a pump. It just slides on your leg to upper thigh. It matches my lingerie perfectly (I’m a garter belt and nylon stocking girl). They come in black, white, red, or pink and are about $12. Check it out at www.stashbandz.com. Their customer service is great and they are very supportive of the crossdresser community using their products.

Hi jenniferr

Thank you for your help i was thinking something like that may be best or a garter or suspenders or something only thing is if you need to check your pump you need to pull the dress all the way up in public or go to the bathroom.

What would you do.

There is your million dollar idea- A utility falsie.

Good weight and bounce like a natural boob with a compartment for keys, ID, and insulin pumps.

In drab my pump is clipped to my pants waistband and I just check it there. Dressed fem it would depend on where I am. I don’t like to hide my diabetes in a bathroom and it’s not very hygienic but I will use one if necessary. I have never been shy about pulling my dress up in public but if I can demurely check the pump, like if I am sitting at a booth or table in a bar sometimes I can hike my dress enough to check the pump without drawing too much attention..

There is another company that might be worth checking out—PJ Creations (pjcreationsllc.com). If I remember correctly it is a company that got started by a young girl with diabetes who needed clothing with places for her diabetes supplies and couldn’t find any. So she started her own home-based company which has gotten bigger over time. They have pocket bras which are sports bras with a pocket to hold pumps, etc. they also have sew on pockets that you could sew on a piece of clothing yourself. I toyed with sewing some inside my dresses but decided to go with the StashBandz garter instead because it is more girly and I have no sewing skills. Hopefully I won’t be kicked out of the girly club for not being able to sew.