Thread: First Time Flying Crossdressed (or very nearly)

First Time Flying Crossdressed (or very nearly)

This past week, I was finally able to travel across the country to visit relatives for thanksgiving. It had been a long time coming, especially since I hadn't seen my grandmother in 5 years and she is of a quite advanced age.

Since it was also the first opportunity I had to fly while dressed, I took advantage of the occasion. I packed a dress, as well as my recently acquired B-breast forms and my hip pads. I would have liked to wear them on my way to my destination, but was afraid folks would feel my boobs when I hugged them upon arrival. Furthermore, while I considered wearing my hip pads on the way, I thought having them on while passing thru security might be a hassle, not to mention humiliating, so I just took everything in my carry on luggage, which weighed quite a bit thanks to the silicone parts. The pads and breast forms went thru the x-ray machine without a hitch, but they did search through the bag and confiscated my shaving cream.

The family visit was very pleasant and necessary, as was Thanksgiving dinner with the family. Today, I traveled back and put my plan into action.

After passing security with my hips and forms in my carry on bag, I went into the men's room and put on my forms and hips. I ended up not putting on the dress, so I stuck to the jeans and sweater and baseball cap I was already wearing. Putting the padding on my person made my bag considerably lighter.

Once I arrived at my boarding gate, I put on my large hoop clip-on earrings and that's how I boarded my return flight. I had a middle seat , but was seated between two women. The flight was quite pleasant, though, as I was in the first economy row right after first class, which happens to have more leg room than your average economy seat.

This was only the first leg of the trip, though, as I chose a flight with a 50-minute layover in Chicago to get some fresh Garrett's popcorn, since they don't have stores where I live. I also had to locate my gate, as it had been unassigned at the first stage of my trip and the Chicago airport is quite large.

Walking quickly, my head somewhat consumed with worry I might not make it to my flight on time, I overheard a male voice asking Are you using the boy's or the girl's restroom? I just kept walking, thinking the question was rather bizarre and directed at someone else, as I wasn't engaging anybody in conversation. It took a few seconds for me to realize that that question had been directed at me. I looked slightly over my shoulder and saw, among other people, some bubba-type fellow in a baseball hat. I thought he might have been the one who asked the question but wasn't 100% sure and although I had considered answering, my not knowing who asked it, coupled with the fact a good half minute had already passed and no further engagement was attempted led me to conclude the best thing I could do was pretend I did not hear.

I found my gate and the popcorn store nearby, so I ran my errand and proceeded to wait. However, as most of the seats at the gate were taken, I opted for an empty-ish bench on the main thoroughfare.

As people passed by me, I heard the usual chuckles and clearing of the throat we all know so well. I ignored them all and the fact I was wearing a mask helped to hide my facial expression.

As I entered the plane, the flight attendant at the door called me "sir". I ended up in an aisle seat in the penultimate row of the plane, next to two guys. Better than in the middle. We did not exchange a word. For the in-flight snack, I requested cookies and got two packs. As mybag was hard to reach, I stored the extra one in my bra.

By the way, I believe I saw another gender non-conforming person sitting in the middle of the opposite aisle, one row ahead of mine, but I did not engage her in conversation.

Before landing, I removed my clip-on earrings and used my heavy jacket to hide my boobs. It was quite the adventure and quite eye opening.

Next time I pass thru Chicago, I'll be even more enfemme. **** the nosy dipshits who can't mind their own business.

Thanks for reading.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Flying en fem can be nerve wracking - but as you found out often there are no real problems
    Last edited by bridget thronton; 11-26-2022 at 10:02 AM.

What an adventure. But you did it well. Yes, ignoring the naysayers is the best policy. Acknowledging them just encourages their knuckle dragging behavior.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Sad to hear but it happens all the time why do they say sir? I get it maybe it was apparent to them what was going on. When there is an obvious disconnect in your presentation versus what they might think I don't understand why they don't omit declaring your gender. Why is it more polite to address someone by announcing their gender? especially in today's day and age. it's about as outdated is music on hold which no one really needs anymore. I've got so much on my phone to entertain myself instead of having to be annoyed by whatever you want to tell me or some loud distorted music. Times change and Society should adapt.

I’ve flown while crossdressing, but since I dont dress fully its a but less nerve racking. I havent worked uo the courage to wear a short skirt on a flight, have worn leggings (no shorts over them) on flights since 2012. No bad interactions. I worry about someone I know recognizing me and there is zero places to hide in a skirt!

One time was with my girlfriend going to visit friends. We got to the gate early and ate, and when I got up to use the restroom an older couple commeneted after seeing me in very clearly womens leggings said, ?Does he know this isnt California?!? (Said it kind of under his breath just to his wife). Which made my girlfriend chuckle to herself. Once we got to our destination I changed before getting our luggage. I underdressed for most of the rest of that trip. Will definitely do it again!

Patience,

Even if you were 100% sure who said it best thing is to pretend you didn't and not engage him in any conversation.
    "Care about what other people think of you and you will always be their prisoner" - Lao Tzu

Bridget - You're right. All one needs is to be committed.

Gretchen, I have to agree. Innocence is its own defense.

Genifer, I see where you are coming from, but in their defense, the entire encounter lasted a little more than a second. I was in a line and the crew were greeting folks as we were coming into the plane. My only truly outward femme feature were my earrings. The flight attendant saw a tall person in trousers and defaulted to "sir". In honesty, it reminded me of those SNL skits where David Spade and Adam Sandler played jaded flight attendants saying goodbye to the passengers: "Buh-bye".

Pantyfan - I don't think I could have mustered a dress that day, even though I brought it. On the plus side, I know how to challenge myself next time.
    About the older couple, if they said it loud enough for your girlfriend to hear, maybe the comment was meant to be heard. Anyway, In spite of his feelings about California, I'm sure he loves the Beach Boys.

Fiona, I wouldn't have given that man the time of day. I couldn't anyway, I had to fly, lol.

Thank you for the reply.

Platinum Member
    I have to give you a lot of credit for traveling mostly en femme. I have never attempted it although it remains on my list. I wonder if you will elicit any reactions at all when traveling fully en femme. The comment you heard was uncalled for in any case, but I suspect that an mixed presentation might be more likely to evoke such reactions.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I think that was very brave, Patience. Something I would never do!

But, everyone should remember when u present an androgenous image u confuse everyone!
    Those both well intentioned and those not!

If u had worn a wig and makeup it least the stew could have "ma'am"ed u!

Otherwise, it sounds like u could have just as easily been a gay man!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Patience,

More power to those of you who find some level of enjoyment flying while crossdressed. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Personally, I have no desire to, but it is probably because I have taken as many as 100+ flights in a year. The cramped spaces in shuttle buses, trains, and waiting areas alone make me feel filthy by the end of a long trip. Couple that with people who are more focused on looking at their phones or playing with the entertainment systems makes the environment less than ideal as a social place. I just want to be as comfortable as possible.

To make matters worse, I have been stranded in the DFW and ATL airports overnight with NO luggage. That would have been bad to be dressed and have no change of clothes - in my case. I realize you were carrying your clothes.

- just pointing out that flying is not quite as fun as it used to be for people who fly a lot.

Sandi

work for Virgin and you can wear whatever you are comfortable with

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia...1d0e4752614384

Patience, You handled things correctly, no reason to be drawn into a no win situation
    Crissy

You handled that beautifully! Stand tall and be proud of who you are!

I have flown many times in leggings. No shorts. No issues. But makeup and a wig might present some problems. Although I think I can pass reasonably well going through security might be a problem.

Sorry...spaced on my own thread. Lol.

Angela, I don't think I would go as far as makeup and a wig just to catch a plane. Not nearly glamorous enough, although passing through security might be amusing, albeit for the wrong reason.

Thank you, ErikaH. I like to think I do.

Crissy, I'm not sure the dude even wanted to have a conversation. Maybe it was just the offhand remark and that was it. '

All I can say is I felt a lot safer having that happen there instead of before check in.

MissSixties - It's tempting on paper, but I would only take a job with an airline if I could be part of the ground crew. No flying around for me, thank you.

Sandi, yes, being stranded in a strange city with nothing but female clothes would be awkward. but what a story afterwards, eh?
    Flying crossdressed isn't something I particularly wanted to do, but with the opportunity presenting itself I just thought "why not?" and got it done. I enjoyed it a lot, considering.

Doc, like I told Angela, I don't think a wig and makeup would have made the journey more enjoyable and there's a good chance I would have been called "sir" anyway. As far as being taken for a gay man, I'm okay with that. I don't feel particularly obligated to clarify my sexuality to strangers, not that they would want to know about it anyway. I'd find it a bit creepy if they did.

Thank you, KimDl93. Are you a Pixies fan?

I know I will be even more certainly enfemme (or try) next time I fly. Hopefully I'll be able to make a more convincing presentation.

Just another 'Gurl'
    I am impressed Patience. Lots of courage. flying while dressed is something I have always shied away from.
    Just another man in a dress

I have made the 5-hour flight between Anchorage and Chicago several times fully dressed including makeup and wig with generally positive reactions. I usually wore comfortable slacks, a tee with cardigan and flats so I could be comfortable and flexible. I have often gotten comments from the gate agents reviewing my male ID documents like "Love your new hair" or "This must be an old picture." One TSA agent sternly looked at my ID then me, then held up the ID in front of my face and said with a big smile "It's the glasses, they really make you look good". At the boarding gate, the Alaska Airlines agents usually announce your name as it comes up on the ticket scanner "Have a nice flight Mr. Smith!" When they did mine, I usually just got "Have a nice flight!" although some agents called me "Miss" and my surname on my documents.

As for TSA security, the first time I was afraid my forms would trip the density scanner, so I stuck them in my carryon. Of course, they pulled my bag aside and went through it, but their only interest was my large bag of trail mix. The only agent who came even close to being unfriendly was also at the TSA line. I was trying to juggle my carryon, my purse, a jacket and my shoes. At the absolute most inopportune moment the top button on my new blouse came undone exposing my bra for all to see so I also had a wardrobe malfunction to deal with. I kinda held up the line a little getting myself back together, so she was getting a bit impatient. She just looked at me a rolled her eyes.

Patience congratulations on your trip, you handled the idiot well by ignoring him. On sort of a related subject, gender identification, I was an air traffic controller in the Air Force for 20 years. There were times when I would give a pilot an instruction over the radio and part of his reply would be "yes ma'am" or "thank you ma'am, at which point I would immediately correct him by saying "that's sir" and get an apology. My voice is kind of hig and I guess the radio made it a little higher so that was why they thought they were talking to a woman.

Thank you, Diane. It seems like, of all challenges you may face with your femme presentation, your voice might not be one of them.

Claire, good on you for going all out on a flight. I might do so myself, but I have to get better at applying makeup first. Shame about the wardrobe malfunction. At least one of your boobs did not fall out and roll across the room!

Kitty Sue, thank you, although I don't know what you're worried about. You look good enough to fly!

Platinum Member
    I have a slightly different goal for 2023, which is to pilot an aircraft en femme. Kinda looking forward to building hours in girl mode.

kimdl93,

Go for it! How many hours do you have so far, or are you just beginning pilot training?