Thread: X marks the spot

X marks the spot

Today I went to the DMV to upgrade my driver's license to RealID. A year ago, I had promised myself that when my license came up for renewal in 2024, I was going to check the "non-binary" box that Virginia has on their application form. It seemed so far off in the future. I asked the clerk if I was allowed to make that change on the reissue that I was requesting today, and she said yes. She did kind of pause -- here's this reasonably masculine old guy saying he's non-binary -- but that was it. Fifteen minutes later, I was walking out with my temporary paperwork that said "SEX: X"

One side note: I'm "home alone" for a little while, and I considered going over to the DMV in full femme presentation. It was, after all, a reissue, so surely they wouldn't be taking a picture, right? I'm glad my good sense prevailed, because I'm not "out" yet. I can't say whether I would have sat for the photo or not. Gathering the documents and scheduling the visit were so much hassle that I might have done it.
    Nancy
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life that you love, you have to find the courage to live it." -- John Irving

Good for you, Nancy. You may not be out to the general public; but, you are now out in some manner to the State of Virginia. I am out to the VA which I'm fine with. That way, whenever a VA care giver is checking my heartbeat they won't go nuts when they feel my bra straps (or bra) as they search on my chest and back to position their stethoscope. I'm always underdressed for my appointments.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

Nancy, I'm glad you made that step forward in your gender expression.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I went 3 years ago to the DMV dressed casual fem makeup lipstick and all. I had my renewal and pic taken and now fem on my dl got to love it.

Platinum Member
    Glad to hear you found the resolve necessary to acknowledge yourself. In a sort of similar vein, a few years ago I listed myself as transgender on my medical records and discussed the matter with my provider. It took a little bit of courage, and honestly, the world did not change in any meaningful way, but at least I acknowledged myself and was able to speak openly about it with my primary care provider.