Thread: Polished Nails Around Family

Polished Nails Around Family

As part of my slow return, this...

GF and I like to get our nails done together. We sometimes go separately, but when we can, we go together. I keep my toes polished, but I typically wear fingernail polish until we've got some family thing to do or I have to go to work, whichever comes first. Until then I wear polish in public wherever we go. She's told me for a long time that I didn't have to take my polish off to be around her family, that it was no big deal, but that was my choice. BTW, they all know I wear nail polish, they've just never seen it. I decided some time ago that I was going to put on my big girl panties and brave it. I've been off all week, and we got our nails done Monday morning. Tuesday afternoon we had to go by her parent's house. No comment from her dad, but her mom was effusively complimentary, which is her nature. We just got back from having lunch with them. Compliments again. The compliments are nice, but I must say I look forward to the new wearing off and getting no comment at all. We'll be there with the rest of the family come Christmas. I'll take this polish off for work in the meantime, but I'll get my nails done again just for that, which is probably when my step mother will also see them.

I've done my share of this kind of reveal in my past. Usually (maybe always) there was no point to it. Kind of a temporary insanity thing that I usually regretted doing. This time I have a reason. Whether or not it's a good reason is debatable. The #1 reason is I like it, and GF likes it. #2, it's not cheap to get my nails done, and if I'm going to do it, it seems kind of crazy to take it off after only a day or two. #3, it's about time. #4, this is nothing like coming out. Not even close. It's just nail polish, and I figure I'm in good enough standing that nothing bad is going to happen because of it.

It's kind of silly that after so many years of doing this, that something as trivial as this feels so important, but it does. I figure I'm getting just a tiny taste of what it must feel like to completely come out, and that thought does make it tempting. The coolest part of it for me is not in the initial reveal, but the fact that the reveal only has to happen once. After that initial reveal, from then on it's less and less of a thing, until it's just normal and expected. Now, I'll leave room for the possibility that I'll wake up tomorrow and look at this differently. It's happened before. But, for right now I'm looking forward to Christmas when I'll get the reveal over with with the rest of her family. I'm pretty sure I'll get the reveal over with with my step mother, too, but I do feel a little more apprehensive about that one. She, too, knows about me (from my ex), but hasn't seen much. She certainly knew me when my hair was long, and I once wore my big hoops over there (one of the reveals I later regretted). I don't worry about rejection from her, it's just the whole "family" thing that makes me a little queasy. I'm not comfortable with all the tentacles of that one. BUT, back when she and my dad first got married 30+ years ago, she had him looking like something from Studio 54. All kinds of necklaces, bracelets, rings and long, clear-polished nails and LONG GOLD PINKY NAILS that freaked ME out! She should probably be the easiest reveal, but she's not. That's just the way it is.

If she knows about you from your ex and has seen you with hoop earrings, she knows you CD. Your reveal will most likely be a confirmation of what she knows/suspects.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

Yep. She knows. It's one thing to know and another thing to see. If I stay with my decision to not take my polish off when those encounters are inevitable, it'll happen soon enough. The biggest problem I have with showing her (step mother) is that she still talks to my ex. Not that it really matters, but it would bug me for my cding to be the subject of conversation again. Sometime I think it about time I grow up.

Rhonda, I don't think nail polish is a sign of much that anyone would freak out about it.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Jamie,
    IN my case I expect them to have a little fun with it and then let it go. I'm sure it'll cause some talk behind my back, but there's nothing I can do about that. All of these people who will see it for the first time have already heard about it, so some of the reaction has passed. At this point it's more important to me to be able to wear polish openly around them than it is to keep it hidden. I don't know why I've had a change of heart on that now. I do think it'd be a pretty big deal in a lot of households, though.

Not to delve into a bunch of self-analysis, but the tells start adding up, and maybe consciously or subconsciously that's what I want. I do know that I have a history of doing this dance of "I want to come out, but I don't", and I kid myself that I can push that envelope and then retreat at will. It didn't work before, and it probably won't work now. I think the cat is pretty well out of the bag. I probably won't ever let them see any more than they're seeing now, but they're not stupid.

Nail polish on guys is not a big deal anymore. Google "men wearing nail polish" and you will see recent articles (within the past 2 years) regarding men wearing colored nail polish in Esquire and GQ magazine. It is just like earrings on men. It is not a big deal. It is easy to make it a really big deal in our own mind. People that get visible tattoos, piercings, or stretch their earlobes to the size of a silver dollar don't make a big deal about it. Why should nail polish be any different?
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

I have mentioned that I work at a concert venue. Nail polish on male employees and patrons is very common now. Enjoy your nails. I doubt anyone else will care.

Same as Char and Jaime said.. plus I love polished nails on guys any color besides purple ..purple just screams CD'ER !!! to me ..If they do have polished nails then its a bonus for me..I've loved that for alot of decades but I usually prefer artists and musicians and that's fairly common within those groups. A non cd'er/tg guy who's taken an interest in me recently has polished nails and I also really have to have my fellas with pierced ears also
    IG : Knightress Oxide

Char, I see that too. Different on a 25 year old than a... whatever. But, I love that boys are wearing nail polish and even acrylics now. I think working from home emboldened many. Still depends on the work place, though, and your position on the totem pole. I'm still working on "everywhere but work".

I'm surprised that nail polish hasn't taken off as a male thing before now. Every year when flip flop season arrived I'd see a few and think that this was the year. I'd see a half dozen or so and that'd be it. For the past year or so I probably see one guy a week wearing nail polish. If it becomes too common it'll lose it's feminine identity and I won't want to do it anymore!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Careful, Dutchess! You of all people know where the nail polish and earrings lead!

Haha oh you!!! Yes I do lol that's what got me in trouble in the first place
    IG : Knightress Oxide

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm not sure why you're doing this, Rhonda Jean? But, you're very brave, break a leg!

I've been out dressed to the 9's too many times to count!

But, coming out in ANY WAY to peripheral family would be a nite mare on the scale of being suddenly naked on stage at Carnegie Hall for me!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Doc, my only tangible reason is so I don't have to spend money and time getting my nails done only to take it off a day or so later because of some typically brief interaction. Of course, I already had a pretty good idea that this was a pretty safe space to do it. I'm definitely no daredevil when it comes to stuff like this. If it turns out to be misguided, it wouldn't be the first time.

The first time we got our nails done and then the next morning had to go to her parent's house I said I had to take off my nail polish, and she said, "Why?". Still, for years I've continued to take it off when we were going to be around them. It was kind of a no-brainer. I'm not used to that kind of acceptance. A few years ago when I was fairly new to carrying a purse in male mode we were leaving her parent's house and she asked me in front of everybody, "Where's your purse?". I said I left it in the car. I wanted to crawl in a hole, and I told her I wasn't ready to let them know I carried a purse and that's why I left it in the car. She said, "I just don't think it's a big deal". Still adjusting to a new way of looking at things.
    Last edited by Rhonda Jean; 12-11-2022 at 08:03 PM.

Hi Rhonda,

Soon I will be taking 2 weeks off work to use up my vacation for the year (use it or lose it). But my wife has to work still. I figure this would be a good time to polish my nails, with clear nail polish. I'm not out to the rest of my family, and my wife and I are DADT. So this might go over like a lead balloon with her. But assuming I go through with this the next question is do I remove it before my son comes over for Christmas. Sure, it is not uncommon for men to use nail polish, but that doesn't mean anything when your family sees a ~60 year old for the first time with nail polish. BTW, I have a son-in-law who has nail polish, but I think the expectations are different for my age group, at least for those who are not musicians or such.

My dream is to go on vacation (not the stay at home kind) and have color on my nails (not the boring black you see many men with).

I wish you success.

Its a whole new world out there now, acceptance is on the rise, at least where I live , I wear nail polish all of the time, nobody givs a hoot abaout and all of my famly know about my dressing, except of course my son, yes he does know and cannot get to grips with it plus I am not welcome in his house any more
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Nyla, I don't think anybody would even notice clear. Enjoy!!

Bobbi46, That's a heartbreaking thing with your son! I hope you're able to repair that. I think people do care and they do talk behind our backs. I know they do because I've heard about some of that talk after the fact. We have to decide if we care, and in some cases I do. I sometimes wish I didn't. I'm probably not as out or as brave as this post made me sound. I pretty well know where acceptance and non-acceptance is and choose accordingly. I do not and have not taken advantage of all the areas of acceptance that I could have, and I'm making an effort to move toward that. I'm not 1% as motivated as I used to be, so this is moving at a snail's pace. I could easily get to a point to where "that's it and there ain't no more".