Thread: Crossdressing and Autism Spectrum Disorder

Crossdressing and Autism Spectrum Disorder

Hi,

I'll not go into how the situation has come about, however, I think I'm heading towards a mid-life diagnosis of mild Autism Spectrum Disorder (certain OCD traits and overly methodical with simple tasks) accompanied by mild AD-HD (variations in my energy levels plus occasional losses of concentration on and memory of tasks - I tend to remember later on).

As regards the ASD, that in the past would have been covered by possibly the terminology "high functioning" (I've high IQ and gone quite far as regards education) and "Asbergers". These terms are not in regular use anymore as they are considered non-PC.

I used to take things more literally (I tend to hold back now just to assess if someone is being sarcastic and not literal - though still can be caught out), with humour, sociability and people-reading traits properly developing more so later in life, which I've been told may be due to mimicking, a coping strategy used by ASD people (I'm not going to use the term sufferer). Lone activities (I like long walks on my own to get my head straight), not liking noisy atmospheres without preparation, etc. are all there. In the latter respect, I might prefer a quieter pub where I can talk or be able to think rather than a noisy bar.

This has got me to wondering if there's a link between crossdressing and ASD. I understand certain tastes and textures can be preferable to ASD people, so was wondering if the textures of women's clothing may lend itself to this. Say when we were young, our early memories are of the mother figure being the key person of our lives and hence we subconciously remember the feel of their clothing. Crossdressing gives us that feel perhaps?

I'm also reading circumstantially about a greater tendency in non-binary and trans people to be diagnosed with ASD. That said, this latter observation may apply more to those born as a woman (I may be wrong on this).

Thoughts?

Sue

Banned Read only
    It's been discussed before how there is a link between transgender and autism. I'm on the spectrum, and like you am on the high functioning side - if I am actually doing something I'm interested in.

The problem is that it's often easy to find some sort of statistical correlation between any two activities/symptoms.

There was the case not that many years ago of a supposed link being made between autism and children getting the MMR triple vaccination, later debunked, that however had the effect of stopping many parents getting their kids immunised.

It's a bit like CD'er =Gay. Look and you'll find a proportion of the community who are Gay but most likely not more than in the general population. Same could be said for blue, green or brown eyes.

My suspicion would be that if you are somewhere on the autism scale it is more likely to effect how you dress than causing your desire to dress.

My wife thought I had ASD but I didn't spend the $1500 for a diagnosis. At the time it wasn't covered by insurance.

But, I read and interact with body language just fine when I'm presenting as a woman! I don't think someone with ASD can do this. I don't have to think about what I'm doing. I can do it and realize what I've done a few seconds later.

Marion

Impossible to know for sure, but if there is a link between ASD and CD I?d guess it is weak. I am not on the spectrum and am a committed CDer. Helen is probably right in her analysis.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Not everyone thinks that Aspergers syndrome and autism should be linked together. This can depend on which camp the Psychiatrist sits in. Use your British health care system to your advantage and get a proper diagnosis, then any doubts can be removed. A good book to read is by Tony Attwood, A Brit who has his practice in Australia. The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome, is considered one of the top 5 books on this subject. Doctor Tony is one of the top 3 in the world regarding Asperger's and autism.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers by a Psychiatrist only a few years ago. After a long life of frustration and confusion many of my life's quirks and difficulties finally made sense to me. Many Aspergers people have very high sensory perceptions. A couple of examples, I had my hearing tested many years ago and it was off the charts, the technician had to test twice because he had never seen such results. Another, my sense of touch is also off the scale, clothing tags can drive me crazy. I can literally feel mosquitos and flys land on me. I have been an underdresser for well over 25 years because of my choices in fabrics that give me better tactile comfort.

I still see my Psychiatrist twice a year, the last time I was dressed to my comfort level. That level being a camisole, panties, hosiery and skirt, as some would say, a miad. She has been a great help to me in accepting my quirks and understanding them.

Many Psychiatrists also believe there is a strong correlation between CD'ing and being on the spectrum. More study needs to be done on the subject.
    Last edited by Gillian Gigs; 12-22-2022 at 10:44 AM. Reason: grammar
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian Gigs View Post
    Not everyone thinks that Aspergers syndrome and autism should be linked together. This can depend on which camp the Psychiatrist sits in. Use your British health care system to your advantage and get a proper diagnosis, then any doubts can be removed. A good book to read is by Tony Attwood, A Brit who has his practice in Australia. The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome, is considered one of the top 5 books on this subject. Doctor Tony is one of the top 3 in the world regarding Asperger's and autism.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers by a Psychiatrist only a few years ago. After a long life of frustration and confusion many of my life's quirks and difficulties finally made sense to me. Many Aspergers people have very high sensory perceptions. A couple of examples, I had my hearing tested many years ago and it was off the charts, the technician had to test twice because he had never seen such results. Another, my sense of touch is also off the scale, clothing tags can drive me crazy. I can literally feel mosquitos and flys land on me. I have been an underdresser for well over 25 years because of my choices in fabrics that give me better tactile comfort.

I still see my Psychiatrist twice a year, the last time I was dressed to my comfort level. That level being a camisole, panties, hosiery and skirt, as some would say, a miad. She has been a great help to me in accepting my quirks and understanding them.

Many Psychiatrists also believe there is a strong correlation between CD'ing and being on the spectrum. More study needs to be done on the subject.
    Asberger's to me seems to be somewhere in the middle. You can be high functioning with any traits not immediately obvious. In the UK, we have some notable figures who have or may be Asberger"s. I think of naturalist Chris Packham (confirmed) and Professor Brian Cox (very likely - I know he's discussed it).

This describes me better than Autism to be fair. The problem I have with the Autism label is that I read social queues just fine and I have a fairly normal although offbeat sense of humour. Autism just doesn't quite fit.

Sue

hello Mackem Sue,
    I am dyslexic. Some people think that dyslexia is on the autism spectrum. we are certainly "neurodiverse".
    I have often wondered if there is a connection between my dyslexia (a gift not a disability, I think) and my cross dressing. Dyslexia is considered to be right brain dominant; the side of the brain that is more intuitive, artistic, imaginative and "typically associated with the feminine".
    If only there was some research that would confirm or deny this!
    stay healthy!
    luv J

Reality Check
    When I was growing up, we didn't have these "conditions". We just dealt with how people acted and got on with our lives.

I suspect that if you stopped being concerned with these things and just lived your life, it would be simpler and more enjoyable.
    Krisi

I?m dyspraxic (diagnosed, which is often found alongside autism) and think I’m probably on the spectrum. I’m on the waiting list for an autism diagnosis but that can take up to two years on the NHS.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    The problem is that it's often easy to find some sort of statistical correlation between any two activities ?
    There is a correlation between any two of things you can name, not necessarily human related. Example: the number of birds hit by cars every month in Iowa vs the number of pigeons sitting on a statue in Washington DC. The two things don?t have to be related in any way. Correlation is one of the weakest possible relationships. Most correlations don?t mean anything without an underlying cause-and-effect relationship.

(Longish post disclamer)

I must confess to feeling connection with this thread.
    I am diagnosed with A.D.D. (Attention Deficit Disorder). This may be an older term, but, as I have learned, it comes from a deficiency in the frontal lobes / executive centers of the brain.
    I was able to function as a teacher for most of my career, right up until the principal of my school at the time decided to try and drum me out of the teaching profession. (Much longer story here, won't share more for now)
    Connection here is that when she applied all that pressure on me, I feel that it did trigger / unleash a whole host of PTSD-activated reactions....midlife crisis level stuff.
    As I regained my emotional/psychological balance, my deeply buried interests and curiosities regarding femininity began to surface.

Slight change of focus...
    One of the most helpful facts about ADD that I have acquired is the fact that our "neuro-divergent" brains are, in fact, motivated differently than other's.

Neuro-typical brains generally process things via: "IMPORTANCE, REWARD, and CONSEQUENCE."

Neuro-divergent brains process things via: "INTEREST, CHALLENGE, NOVELTY, and URGENCY."
    <Okay, sorry... I will try to get back on track here...>

It took me discovering my neuro-divergence to recognize how much of a gurl I actually am....and how much peace and happiness expressing my feminine side is starting to bring me.

To all of you who identify as "Neuro-divergent", please feel free to drop me a line if you ever need a listening ear that actually understands / a shoulder to cry on / etc.
    You are not alone.

Much love....
    XXOOXXOO

Jenny

Yes. I am an aspie too. I fit the profile for crossdressing gender questionability at around age 5. One thing for me that has made my crossdressing so spectacular is that I am hypertactile which means things that feel bad feel really bad and things that feel good feel really good. Satin panties, stockings, womens leather highheels. Its an added treat for me and I would say is a wonderful form of autistic stimming.
    Last edited by Brianne_bc; 01-06-2023 at 02:07 AM.

No Heel is Too High.... When it's Pointed at the Ceiling

After seeing many of the posts on this thread I really feel this speaks to me too. I was 17 when I was diagnosed with Asperger?s syndrome. My main problem has always been with social skills but it?s gotten better over the years but it will never be great.

As for a link between autism and crossdressing I don’t think there’s any evidence. But maybe it could explain why I never liked boy?s underwear growing up because they were so uncomfortable on my skin. When I wore my first pear of panties they felt so good and soft.

I've long suspected I'm somewhere on the spectrum, and I'm toying with the possibility of going for testing. It wouldn't change anything, I'm sure, but it would be fascinating to find out. As to how my CDing ties into it, I'm seeing the comments here about certain items of clothing feeling really good, and I'm sitting here nodding sagely and saying "Yep!"; for me it's hosiery, and it's been that way since I was little. But when I'm fully dressed and made up, I feel fantastic. And it's not necessarily sexual. It's akin to being in a big pool of warm water. And my clinical depression seems to take a hike for a good long while, even when I'm done. A former girlfriend told me that my personality changes when "Justine is visiting" (as I've come to refer to it); she said I get cuter and flirtier!