Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the "Clich?" of crossdressing?

What are the "Clich?" of crossdressing?

I was having a discussion about crossdressing(Of course) and someone made an interesting statement I thought.

They said "And of course I have a very nice French Maid Outfit, the great cliche'? of crossdressing

It got me to thinking, what ARE the great "Cliche'?s" of crossdressing. I absolutely have a FMO so guilty there. would the dressing in hotel rooms count?

What are your thoughts?

SJ
    Last edited by Sabine Janus; 01-29-2023 at 01:42 AM.

Banned Read only
    Definitely I think the general public would throw the French Maid outfit into the cliche category. Maybe wearing attire that would attract someone to observe more closely. Sort of being an exhibitionist; the short dress and spiked heels. Aside from the person being very tall, I wonder how many sister really go "unseen" because they dress for the occasion and location.

Cliches? Fishnets come to mind, as well as heels too high, skirts too short, boobs too big, hairy legs, dresses too tight, too much makeup, cheerleader and school girl and hooter uniforms, and exaggerated mannerisms, to name a few. (I don't consider hotel rooms, though I've never tried one for CDing, to be a crossdressing cliche.)
    Last edited by Taylor186; 01-19-2023 at 12:29 PM.

Blue eye shadow comes to mind.
    Fishnets
    French Maid Uniform
    Little girl outfits with ankle socks and Mary Janes
    Super long fake lashes
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    "No", on hotel rooms, Sabine. But, I'd say most of my T friends and myself dress in over the top sexy outfits!

Heavy on 1950's to 80's looks. Like; body con outfits, nylons, heels, makeup, legs showing, and long wigs!

I'll add a CD cliche of my own: Too many emphasize monster boobs but neglect a female figure from there on down!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 01-18-2023 at 02:00 AM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Pretty much anything that is sexualised on women, and then worn by crossdressers as if it's totally normal clothing... So...

Fishnets
    Stockings
    High heels
    French maid outfits
    Prom dresses
    Wedding dresses

I actually cringe when I read about how they do the chores around the house in a french maids outfit.

But, to each their own. I just don't think it does crossdressers or transwomen any favours.

Yes much of crossdressing is clich? but if you only wear the clothes alot of women today wear you'd be back to wearing trousers and sweat tops what would be the point in that.

Clich?s - like stereotypes - can often be insulting and disrespectful. However sometimes where there's smoke there's fire. My ex liked to go shopping with me and would sometimes suggest clich? items that she assumed I would like. She was the one who bought my french maid and naughty nurse outfits as well as patterned hose and high heels to accessorize them.

One time in a packed store she held up a tutu in front of me and asked if I wanted it. She clearly had a stereotypical image of what CDs desired... and she was almost always right in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteCD View Post
    Pretty much anything that is sexualised on women, and then worn by crossdressers as if it's totally normal clothing... So...

Fishnets
    Stockings
    High heels
    French maid outfits
    Prom dresses
    Wedding dresses

I actually cringe when I read about how they do the chores around the house in a french maids outfit.

But, to each their own. I just don't think it does crossdressers or transwomen any favours.
    Some of those are definitely sexualised (maid outfit, fishnets), but plenty of women wear high heels as "totally normal clothing", and wedding and evening dresses aren't particularly sexualised.
    In the case of those dresses, it's more about them being very feminine. I think many crossdressers (myself very much included) tend to want to go all the way with feminity, for various reasons.

In fact, I think in some cases, I'd speculate that even the sexualised items might be more about feminity than sexualisation. For historical reasons (misogyny), feminity and sexualisation have been intertwined in some ways, but I don't think it always has to be read that way.
    The crossdresser who wears a maid outfit might realise the connotation, but not wear it for that reason.

Though I agree with you that such stereotypes do make our struggle for acceptance harder.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    In my opinion the terms “passing” or “passable” are cliche.

My wearing of garters and stockings are definitely cliche.
    Last edited by alwayshave; 01-18-2023 at 07:25 AM.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

My image of a cliche crossdresser?
    short skirt, stripper heels, overly large boobs - often misplaced or oddly shaped, clothes that don't fit right and are poorly coordinated, cheap wig, bad makeup, deer-in-the-headlights look.

and all this at the grocery store, or something such.

but it is just that - a cliche. I've never seen this in the real world.
    Last edited by SaraLin; 01-18-2023 at 07:42 AM. Reason: site won't let me spell chiche properly.

Hotels are for sure especially for us girls that traveled on business with an extra suite case. French Maid Outfit for me would be a yes along with the house cleaning duties.

Platinum Member
    Yeah, pretty much agree with all the examples given. At some point, it dawned on me that I was buying clothes based primarily on what I found attractive when worn by pretty, slim, young models, without visualizing how the garments might look on me. At that point I was a walking cliche.

Sheer seamed nylon stockings, garter belts, OBG, waist cincher, push-up bras, high heels. All black. That?s the ticket.

Full length leather coat, leather skirt, over the knee high heeled boots, leather gloves. All in black of course.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Sabine, I had fun thinking about this, I am kind of like Robert, but I do actually have a wedding dress. LOL This post made me smile. Thanks. Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chantal View Post
    In my opinion the terms “passing” or “passable” are cliche.
    I wish this forum had a like button.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyJordan View Post
    Yes much of crossdressing is clich? but if you only wear the clothes alot of women today wear you'd be back to wearing trousers and sweat tops what would be the point in that.
    So, you don't know how much I agree with you. Where is the "rush" wearing clothing women have co-opted from the guy side of the store? My twenty-two year old granddaughter routinely buys young men's jeans and flannel shirts at thrift stores because men's attire is cheaper than women's and fit better. However, glancing at her and there is no doubt what gender she is. I do wonder what the attraction is for cross dressers to fly under the radar by wearing women's pants and sweat pants. To me, it's like under-dressing with outerwear; seen but unseen. That just my opinion and why I only wear dresses.

Maybe that in itself is cliche; The only person in the crowd wearing a dress is a cross dresser.

Reality Check
    I have no French Maid outfit and my highest heels are 2 1/2". I don't wear mini skirts. I try to dress like a normal woman in 2023.
    Krisi

Cliche? Too high a hemline, full makeup, false eyelashes, stilletto heels, dresses of silk, sheer, lace, or velvet -- all seem to be cliche's. Of course they all could be seen at night clubs, wedding receptions, and many stores on Sunday early afternoon.

I like to wear what makes me feel pretty, and happy. I'll risk a little cliche' for that.
    www.flickr.com/people/196660660@N08/

I have to agree. I find that because I don't look really feminine when not dressed, as some people do, I have to over compensate. But I like that. As long as it makes me feel great then that is OK. I don't go out dressed so it is just for me so I can wear whatever I want.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

I also always wear stockings, and garters, as I think they look and feel perfect. So feminine.

What's probably the saddest, is that these days, a crossdresser who simply feels best in pretty clothes (no 'thrill' or rush experienced), is looked at as a cliche, and so is the pretty woman who comes home from work, and immediately rips off all her pretty clothes in order to put on a grungy pair of sweats. Neither are happy with what society pressures us to wear, and we're both dealing with it in the only way we know how.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Well, I don't own a French Maid's outfit and I don't wear super high heels. I do love wearing skirts and dresses and I rarely ever go out. So I guess I'm a bit of a cliche. But I don't worry about it.

Drag shows??????isn't that the pinnacle the answer your looking for?
    Last edited by mbmeen12; 01-22-2023 at 03:00 AM. Reason: ?
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.