Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who adopts feminine mannerisms

Who adopts feminine mannerisms

Hi everyone. Just wondering who of us take on feminine movements or mannerisms when dressed or who is just comfortable and content to simply wear womens clothes. At the start of my journey my wife made it clear to me that she didn't just want "John Wayne in a dress" she wanted me to emulate a woman as much as possible to match the appearance, so I spent many hours learning to walk in ever increasing heel heights, posture instructions, sitting legs together, bending at the knee legs together or at the waist legs straight to pick something up, I don't put on a female voice as such but have found that in time I spoke much more softly so it is much less manly. Do you live the life when dressed? and what have you found difficult.
    Last edited by Di; 01-18-2023 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Topic against the rules

Amy, as a transwoman, a lot of this came naturally! Worked up to 4" heels! Learned the walk and that made me forget how to walk like a male! Picked up posture and bending at knees/waist, etc quickly! Female voice is hardest!
    After coming out to my daughter, she said well you put your hands on your hips like a woman! She also stated that her mom thought I would have been happier as a girl! I was not dressing yet! It is a wonderful journey! Enjoy! Hugs Lana Mae
    Last edited by Di; 01-18-2023 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Against the rules
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

It's an interesting question! There's a motion lab stick figure thingy on the web somewhere that allows you to see how women walk and men walk, and use a slider to move between the two. It's interesting to see the differences. From that, I've consciously taken on more feminine characteristics in walking. It's a mode shift, a conscious thought. Men's bodies aren't designed to walk like women, but I try to emulate the walk. Other mannerisms? No, and I haven't put much thought into it.

Amy,
    I’ve definitely started picking up female mannerisms since I’ve been dressing regularly.
    During my working day when dressed at home I sometimes lapse and find that I tell myself off.
    The voice is the hardest bit for me. I’ve been practicing since the urge to go out has arrived, but it’s hard work!
    Like you I think I’ll end up just speaking more softly

Call me a cab...ernet!
    Yes I definitely try to perfect feminine mannerisms and speech. I practice walking and when I travel, my long walks through the airports allow me some time to work on my stride, hip movement, arm swing, etc. There are 2 challenges for me. First, is perfecting a more feminine voice. I have been told my voice is OK, but want to improve. Second is when I?m out for a while and comfortable, I feel like I forget and revert back to my male ways..only to catch myself. I think I just need more practice out in the real world!

I?ve absolutely adopted these traits and movements. I?ve even caught myself doing them in guy mode. It definitely comes naturally to me.

Do I adopt feminine mannerisms? My first answer is nope, I'm still me in a dress.

But, I do:

1. Sit with my legs together
    2. Put my hands demurely on my lap just sitting
    3. Pull my skirt under my butt when sitting
    4. Walk into a room standing tall, "tits first"
    5. Moving my hands when I talk
    6. Bending down to pick something up off the floor, not bending over

Sometimes it's even forced by what we are wearing, for example

1. You have to get out of a car differently when wearing a skirt or dress, spin then move both legs together, no one leg at a time
    2. Keep a stride length commensurate with skirt spread. I still remember how I had to shorten my stride length when wearing a midi jean skirt.

Probably many others that don't come to mind.

So, do you think that I'm adopting girl's mannerisms?
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 01-19-2023 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Removed the one against the rules
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I didn't think I did, but according to my wife my mannerisms do change when I am dressed up.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Zip, nada, nunca, zero! Except for walking, dancing, and sitting in heels and skirts!

Unlike u, tho, I started with 5 1/2" spikes and worked down!

(I can't get my feet into 6" heels!)
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I know I do. Sometimes it's a conscious effort, but more often than not it's just a reflex from the clothes and getting made up. How I stand is often by choice, but my hand gestures are just how I am.
    www.flickr.com/people/196660660@N08/

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    It seems I , subconsciously, have limits. The MORE I make my self LOOK like a girl, the LESS I can make myself ACT or move like one.---I only can go so far. Oh, I can pose for photos, but the walk, movements and speaking are beyond me.

I act totally feminine when dressed and even when not.
    It has become part of my life now.
    It is natural now for me to be a fem as I can where ever I am.

I suppose I must do, but I'm not sure.

I feel that if I try to act more feminine, it'll look like I'm trying to act more feminine. I don't want to come across as phony or some kind of caricature. I feel doing that would defeat the purpose of presenting one's true self.

The one element I feel I can feminize consciously is my walk. I try to take shorter steps and walk more gracefully, although this is also partially affected by the kind of shoes I might be wearing at the time. I just let the other elements fall into place organically.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Yep, that's me, I am very concuss of how I walk, sit, get into and out of the car, how I hold my purse..... Yep in girl mode I do the best I can, and at times I practice in guy mode.

Undoubtedly, I have an automatic switch that operates the moment I dress. Walking, sitting, just standing, all are done in a more femme way.

If out and about and interacting with muggles how I speak, not just voice but just as importantly what and how you say things alters. I've written this before:

Q. Have you got the time please?

Male; it's twelve twenty five.

Female; Time. Oh yes, let me see, oh goodness me is it really nearly half past twelve. Where did the morning go?

Females are ar more likely to have those little conversations. They will also are more eye contact and put far more inflection into what they're saying.

Hands play a big part in how women communicate using far more gestures when speaking.

So much for us to learn.

Yes consiciously and unconconciosly I think. I wouldn?t want to be in breach of the trades description act.

Undoubtedly some feminine mannerisms are related to the structure of the female body (walking gait, presence of breasts, etc) but I think others are clothing-related. I notice, for example, that with most women wearing trousers most of the time, they are less inclined to keep knees together whien sitting. Similarly when picking an item up off the floor, they are more likely to bend down in the same way that a male would do. When wearing a skirt, keeping legs together when sitting is a learned "modesty" behaviour (girls are taught to sit that way) and we all know that, even in an easy skirt, bending down can be uncomfortably revealing to anyone behind. Walking in a tight skirt - or even a powerful girdle and stockings - can force a different stride length. Women in trousers can get in and out of cars just as easily as men but those who grew up accustomed to wearing skirts and dresses will have been schooled about how to exit a car modestly.
    Cross-dressers can and do "enjoy" experiencing all these things and finding out what is required to be seen as female.

Durning the warmer months going for a walk with my gf she advise me how to walk to get the hips moving. Another time I needed to adjust my sitting at a gurls event. The gurl said I needed to cross my legs because of my short mini skirt ie too exposed....All teachable moments.....
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

When I'm out out and about dressed my goal is to present as and be perceived as female to the best of my ability and that includes mannerisms as well as clothing.

When I was at a trans feminine group a few years ago the moderator told me after, after watching me in class, that my mannerisms were totally feminine.

Over the years I have learned to walk one foot in line with the other when in heels, so automatically adopt this when out, this changes your whole manerism including how you hold your hands and move your arms, but have found that when Ive been out fully dressed for a few days say a weekend, when I remove my heels and go back to flats, I automatically change back to my normal walk, but it does take me a day or so to get used to the feeling of not wearing heels.so sometimes as your see your attire automatically changes your mannerisms.

I do experience some shift in mannerisms when I feel more feminine which may or may not result in more obvious dressing. But they are fairly weak mannerism patterns. Mostly hand motion but also a little bit of the walk. Not many women around here wear heels except for more formal situations. But even then it is not common. I suppose I tend to use the same things my wife uses and she uses the same things I use. After 53 years together we have tended to merge into similar patterns.

To me mannerisms are not as big of a deal as the way you converse with others, as Helen says. It is not what you say, but the way you say it. Some women tend to end some sentences with a question mark even when a period is proper. Women are very relationship oriented and question marks, whether proper or not, tend to trigger conversation which develops relationship.

The walk is a tough one because the pelvic structure of women is very different than men for obvious reasons. Their legs attach at points further apart than with most men and that tends to create more of a swivel of the hips around the center of rotation which is the spine. With men the upper thigh motion is more back and forth while with women it usually forms an arc and how much is dependent on the width of the hip.

Talking with your hands is a female thing, but men also do that. But the nature of the motion is different. It is usually a more graceful and pronounced motion in women. I have noticed that much more masculine men don't use much hand motion unless they are drawing in the air. Sometimes they keep their hands in their pockets. And more women are like windmills. Head motion and position is also a distinction between men and women. Men use less; women use more.

To a limited extent mannerisms seem to be a bit more innate, but I suspect most are learned. Walk is the most innate because it is a matter of biomechanics and anatomical differences.

How great it must be to have your wife pushing you to be as feminine as possible. I did notice recently while sitting in the steam room at the gym how different I looked with my towel wrapped around my body legs crossed and hands in my lap in a lady like fashion so i yes I have adopted feminine mannerisms both dressed and male mode.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyJordan View Post
    Hi everyone. Just wondering who of us take on feminine movements or mannerisms when dressed or who is just comfortable and content to simply wear womens clothes. At the start of my journey my wife made it clear to me that she didn't just want "John Wayne in a dress" she wanted me to emulate a woman as much as possible to match the appearance, so I spent many hours learning to walk in ever increasing heel heights, posture instructions, sitting legs together, bending at the knee legs together or at the waist legs straight to pick something up, I don't put on a female voice as such but have found that in time I spoke much more softly so it is much less manly. Do you live the life when dressed? and what have you found difficult.
    When dressed I always attempt to adopt graceful feminine movement and mannerisms, but sometimes ingrained masculine habits surface. My late wife, like yours always told me if I was going to dress like a women then I should act like a woman.
    Jill

My mannerisms are feminine most certainly. The last thing I would want is for someone to see me as "John Wayne in a dress".
    Also, since I've been dressing for so many years I actually must pay more attention to how I move when in drab than when dressed. My wife has even commented on how feminine I am as a woman. Since I retired and have been dressing more and more everything has become so very natural.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !