Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who adopts feminine mannerisms

I think it's the other way 'round for me. But, the male mannerisms have been in use so long, I'm not really sure what's what.

Dana

Aspiring Member
    Absolutely I adopt feminine mannerism when dressed. Smooth a skirt under by butt when sitting down, knees together, sit sideways with the legs to one side sometimes with one foot under the other, hands on the lap, flicking hair from the face etc.
    However, I am not sure about my walking nor my voice ? need to get practice.
    Vikky
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adventure before dementia

Banned Read only
    I think mannerisms come with the territory; some due to body structure and others acquired through the clothes you wear. Once at my local mall there were a group of young teenage girls who were wearing very high heels, and one was stumbling all over the place. They were having a lot of fun, but it was obvious they had never ever worn a super high heels. Maybe they were practicing for a high school prom. It was hysterically funny to watch.

Anyway, learning to NOT walk like a man is high on the list; Don't take long strides, throwing your big feel out there. Plenty of instructional Youtube videos for that.

Constantly, pushing that stray hair out of my face when I have my longish wig on.
    Smoothing the back of my dress when I sit down.
    Keeping my knees together when sitting.
    Crossing my legs, knee over knee rather than stretched out at the ankles.
    When getting into my car in a dress, sitting down facing out, first, then swiveling in, rather than sticking my right legs in first.
    Bending at the knees when picking something off the floor and making sure the heel of my shoe does not step on the hem of my dress.

Adjusting a strap of a bra or slip without consciously thinking about it. Once I saw a GG reach under her dress and pull up her falling down thigh highs without missing a beat in her conversation with a friend; right in front of a crowd in a grocery store. To me, that was the ultimate in subconscious womanly mannerisms/behavior.

If I can think of others, I'll amend later.

I definitely do as Jess, something about slipping into gorgeous lingerie that does it.

Not getting your skirt caught in your panties after getting up after going to the bathroom.

Politely warning a GG if she were to do the same. You're both on the same team now.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 01-20-2023 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I adopt some mannerisms simply as a function of being dressed. Things like sweeping the skirt underneath when sitting. Keeping the hair out of the way when eating. Walking in heels. Careful scratching a facial itch so as not to affect my makeup or poking an eye with my nails.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

Let's just say that I do not chew my nails.

Amy,

Yes, I do adopt some female mannerisms when out to help make blending in and passing easier.

- I walk okay about 90% of the time and walk slower with shorter steps. Sometimes I unconsciously slip into a male walk but usually catch myself and switch back.
    - I walk with the wrist of my free arm turned slightly outwards.
    - When standing, my feet are closer together with one foot usually pointed off at an angle from the other.
    - I always smooth my skirt/dress our when sitting down.
    - I usually sit correctly but have caught myself a number of times sitting with my legs apart. Three different times at CD gatherings someone has reminded me to close my legs!
    - My voice is what it is but I try to talk slower and softer. I also try to use my hands more when talking.
    - I squat down when picking something up, never bend over.
    - I always walk with an air of confidence anywhere I go.
    "Care about what other people think of you and you will always be their prisoner" - Lao Tzu

I make sure to practice all of these qualities whether or not I am en femme. They are becoming second nature.
    www.flickr.com/people/194195593@N05/

TRYING to walk femme usually looks fake. Just take small steps and keep your elbows in works

An interesting and useful thread.
    Bending the knees to pick things up or slide something into the oven.
    It's so unnatural and something I am now actively trying to achieve.

I mentioned this walk modeler earlier. This is fascinating stuff. Here's the link for it: https://www.biomotionlab.ca/html5-bml-walker/

I guess I do, after all, and I can give you a couple examples of things that surprised me when I did them.

My daughter-in-law came over to the house a few days back. I was dressed male - she doesn't know. As she and my wife were chatting, she mentioned that men sat with legs spread while women sat with the crossed. Yes, you guessed it, I was cross-legged. I made a big production of un-crossing my legs and we all got a laugh out of it, though I caught a quick, knowing, look from my wife.

I recently had the opportunity to fully dress (no makeup) at a friends house. I'll try to write about this in another posting.
    He's known me for years and it was no big deal at all, but at one point he made a comment on my sandals. I went to put one foot on the arm of his chair so he could take a better look. In the process, I noticed that I was very careful to arrange my skirt so that I didn't give him a "free peek" or to show too much leg. It was automatic on my part and it was only as I was doing it that I realized what was going on.
    H-m-mm. I guess I'm just not "that kind" of girl.

I don't think that I so much "adopt" these things as it it that they are just a natural part of my being Sara.

I've also heard a couple people talk about how women put one foot more directly in front of the other when walking, while men don't. If this is true, then I "walk like a girl" - something I have been accused of a couple times.

I consciously try to adopt feminine mannerisms when dressed. I do have a slight bow in one of my legs which frustrates me no end but I do think about where I place my feet when walking. I just don’t think it looks as feminine although I’ve spotted many GGs over the years with the same. My one strategy is to wear longer skirts/dresses to hide this fact. Voice is my biggest struggle.
    Paige

Hello everyone,

I realize I'm responding to this thread late in the game. It's been very interesting so far. With me, especially when dressing, I must keep in mind that feminine MANNERISMS are something I WANT to adopt when presenting that way. And if I WANT something like that, I will undoubtedly WISH to see what I WANT to see.

So, I think for me, WANTING and WISHING are a large part of it. Wish I could actually ACHIEVE the presentation I WISH I to present.

At 66, I'm still learning how all the changes that come with age affect both Linda and my cis male self. Neither can have the control of aging that I WISH for.

I hope I added a little.

Stay happy, stay safe,
    Linda

I have my fun but don't try to fool anyone. I think that helps me gain more acceptance when doing my cheerleader thing while officially volunteering for organized events. It also seems to keep participants and spectators entertained instead of offended. If I do display any feminine mannerisms, I do it in jest to be a good sport while playing the part.

There are a couple of ladylike things I do when dressed. One of those is sitting with my legs crossed knee over knee. There are some men who do that on a regular basis but most don't. Another thing I try to do is squat with my knees together when squatting. I'm pretty sure if anyone was facing me they could still catch a small glimpse of my panties but I think it's the proper thing to do.

As far as grooming goes, I most definitely make sure my legs are freshly shaved. I also shave my arms and pits if going sleeveless. I wear just enough makeup to look good and cover up my blemishes - again, being a good sport as a man dressing like a woman. I also do the tan in a can since I can't get a real tan and I'm quite fairly complected.

When I show up dressed to an event, I usually break the ice in my straightforward man voice by asking if my outfit makes me look fat. I'm surprised at how many people fall in love with what I do and sometimes want to follow me around like a puppy. Suits me fine!

Other than those things, I try to behave like a man. Despite that, I get a lot of comments that people thought I was a woman at first glance!

Cheers!
    Marcy

I noticed that when I dress and I am out I have those feminine mannerisms, then when I shift back to my normal everyday me I am a slob!

I?m in the process of learning female mannerisms as well as trying to keep my legs together when I?m sitting and getting up and standing from sitting and learning the hip sway when walking but it?s difficult with having the manly bits being on the large size.

When I was a teen, I tried to do my best to behave as a girl, and emulate their mannerisms as best as I could. But after a while, it just felt like a pursuit of something that had no purpose. I wasn't going to become a girl, and I would never pass as a girl anyway. So trying to adjust myself to a life I'd never have, was just a waste of time. I'm just 'me'. The closest I get to emulating a GG, is being more careful with my hair (so it doesn't tangle or wind up in my food) or avoiding ruining my stockings or nail polish, or losing an earring or something. But sitting as girls do, I don't have the skeleton for that.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

What a wonderful group of suggestions to enhance your female image out in public. All I can add is that to avoid trying to do this all at once, try in private a few at a time and keep practicing until it becomes more natural. When you are out whether at a small gathering or fully out in public it becomes easier to strut your stuff. Just be conscious of what you are doing.
    Sarah Adams, mature girl from NH. My photos are on Flickr under vintage4sarah !

Senior Member Emily in the south's Avatar
    I have found that some things come very natural for me. Walking, sitting, having more graceful movements. When in full girl mode, it changes my entire way of thinking, acting. When out dining for example, I tend to order smaller, lighter selections and different choices. I am always conscious of not messing up my lipstick when eating or drinking. Even my beverage selection changes.
    The harder things already mentioned take time and practice, practice, practice. I try to pay attention the women around me, very helpful and entertaining.

Emily

The mannerisms just come naturally for me when dressed, as do the voice and attitude. Years of walking in 4" to 5" heels have made my balance and posture better when I'm dressed as opposed to male mode. I definitely feel more "me" when I'm dressed.
    ” I'm hell on heels, say what you will ”

Amy, while I can understand the rationale, your list of what is required to emulate a woman as much as possible is much too stereotypical and superficial for any genetic woman to recognize her own femininity in it. This is a crossdresser's fantasy of how to emulate women, not how to actually emulate women. I think most GGs cringe when reading these kinds of posts. Sorry, it's nothing against you, just that I read so many similar posts and each time have a thought for my wife reading that the essence of femininity is being a fragile thing. The average crossdressing lore (and count me in since I am a heels and pantyhose lover) is terribly misogynistic when you think of it.

Hi Diane I don't take offence at your post but equally don't think I'm being sexist or placing women in stereotypical roles. I don't generally see women sitting with their legs spread or squatting to pick something up and seeing women walking in heels with elegance and posture is far more common than seeing them walk like lumberjacks. I apologise if any GGs may be offended if my perception of male and female characteristics are out of date. I myself love women, the way they dress, the way they move and conduct themselves and there femininity it is that which my wife likes me to imitate.

When I am dressed, my wrists naturally flare out and I sway when I walk. It is hard not to act feminine, after all, that’s why I do it.
    Honoring the woman within