Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CD's: Do u, "Dress to blend so no one notices me." Why?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Question CD's: Do u, "Dress to blend so no one notices me." Why?

Ok, you're just beginning to dress and want to see how going out dressed feels. I think we ALL experiment at first and do that!

But, if u identify as a CD and a long time dresser? What's the thrill of dressing in plain, homely, clothes u don't feel pretty in when u go out?

Ok, trans do this because they r women inside and dress as women all the time. I totally get that. But, what about us MIAD's? CD's don't need to dress up all the time.

I dress to look good! So, dressing to blend is like a root canal!
    As I have no compulsion to dress every day I much prefer to visit vanilla venues in drab. No hassles, embarrassing situations, or distractions!

Can u CD's who don't identify as females explain why u feel the need to go out dressed everywhere yet don't want anyone to notice u?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I guess this thread would not apply to me since I may as well have a neon sign over my head ; )

Sandi

But I am curious about the replies as well.

After decades of denial, I have acknowledged that I am trans, a woman that was cursed with a man's body. Although I would love to transition, my wife would be uncomfortable with that. My compromise is to be myself occasionally out in public doing shopping etc. I dress like all the cis-females since that is how I would dress if I transitioned. I am out to be treated like any other woman, and that has been my experience. Would I love to dress up more? Yes, however, I do not have the opportunity to dress up for those special occasions, such as weddings etc., because I am unable to attend those events as a woman.
    My goal is to be seen as, and treated as, any other woman, and dressing like the cis females my age seem to be the best way to experience that.

-peace
    -Gracie

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    You can look good without having to stand out. Unless going to a club, the hooker look is not appropriate. I'm not going to have a skirt barely covering my butt in the supermarket. The dressing down looks are for inbetween times when nothing special is going on. I still love and do the fancy stuff. The rest is instead of drab. It creates its own fun and satisfaction. I still get to be me.
    Last edited by Genifer Teal; 02-02-2023 at 05:16 PM.

Platinum Member
    Why? As Genifer and other suggests, one is not necessarily going out to stand out. Yes, on an evening out in a friendly, clubbing environment, I may want to ramp up things a notch, but mostly to fit in with the crowd. Granted, these days, I live in a lake country resort and recreational area, so you will often stand out if you are not wearing camo.

Most of the time I just want to put my best foot forward, recognizing that I am most likely going to be perceived as a mature transwoman. I want to give the most positive possible impression.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

There are times and opportunities for dresses, skirts, heels and such, as well as slacks and flats. You can dress attractively and appropriately. Blend in with style, that is what I aim to do.
    www.flickr.com/people/194195593@N05/

I also like to blend in with those my age. My goal is to dress in classic style. I love dresses and skirts, but want to dress appropriately for the situation. I want to blend with style and taste.
    "When you come to a fork in the road, Take it!" - Yogi Berra
    I guess I did!

I always fully dress in a dress. I'm not trying to dress like my sisters.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I have that "MIAD" look but just want to blend in and not be noticed so bad...just want normal middle aged woman look.

I dress pretty conservatively not because I don't want to be noticed but rather that I want to be noticed as a woman. Maybe I'm truly transfer deep down inside?

My desires, or goals if you will, are to dress in women's clothes with accessories, makeup, jewelry, etc., and be able to present as an attractive, elegant professional woman. If I get noticed, that's okay. I don't want to be noticed with an appearance that looks ridiculous, which could draw totally unwanted attention. I've had that happen in the past and hated it. What things could get that undesired level of being noticed? A number of things could, most have already been discussed on this forum. Breast forms so large as to be totally disproportionate for one's height and build, ridiculously high heels, hosiery that is so gaudy it's at the level of being extreme or simply inappropriate for the venue. Makeup in shades that are completely mismatched overall and become a poor presentation. Clubbing makeup worn to anyplace other than a club. Gaudy makeup in a grocery store, for example. Any extremely short skirt or overly tight dress that screams "JUMP ME!". A wig that is more representative of an unkempt woman that's never heard of a comb. I could go on and on but I think I've made my thoughts clear enough.

Thanks and hugs,

Linda

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    To Gracie and others:
    My thread was aimed at CD's who r not compelled to present as women all the time. I could if I wanted to but I don't. But, for those that like to dress up to the 9's like me, it would be way too much work to do that every day!

And, it was NOT directed at CD's/trans who would dress as women all the time if they could.

Quote Originally Posted by GracieRose View Post
    After decades of denial, I have acknowledged that I am trans, a woman that was cursed with a man's body. Although I would love to transition, my wife would be uncomfortable with that. My compromise is to be myself occasionally out in public doing shopping etc. I dress like all the cis-females since that is how I would dress if I transitioned. I am out to be treated like any other woman, and that has been my experience. Would I love to dress up more? Yes, however, I do not have the opportunity to dress up for those special occasions, such as weddings etc., because I am unable to attend those events as a woman.
    My goal is to be seen as, and treated as, any other woman, and dressing like the cis females my age seem to be the best way to experience that.

-peace
    -Gracie
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 02-03-2023 at 01:01 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Aspiring Member
    I dress to enjoy the experience, drab or femme. Doc is right from the point of view of someone who has long passed the point where the thrill of simply being out and about is enough. Just as I usually dress when in drab, I tend to dress when en femme to err on the side of being overdressed. I wear a necktie and sweater or jacket at work when few others do. Mr. Rogers would be proud of me. I wear a jean skirt and tights when en femme when other women are in jeans and a t shirt. Blending gets me into the crowd of women seamlessly but sooner or later, that is not enough. Adding little twists when blending adds just enough spice to keep my interest and often theirs as well. Studying fashion carefully teaches me what those details are. Red heels when in black pants and a gray sweater and gray moto jacket.

It adds fun to what Doc correctly assesses as otherwise either too much work to do daily or vanishing into a sartorially slothful crowd that lowers boredom to a sad nadir indeed. In other words, slightly overdressing adds just enough of a twist to what otherwise would sooner or later degenerate into a disappointing affair when the initial excitement of being out and about en femme wears off. A little folly now and then is treasured by the wisest men.(Willie Wonka). I found a comment by a GG who feels the same way.

Maybe I haven't actually mastered fitting in as much as I think I have, but I haven't completely embraced standing out either. I do know this much, though: being overdressed is fun. You have to pull it off with confidence. You have to walk with your shoulders back, like you planned it. Like you're dressed up because you live a dramatic, impressive life. I mean, why not? Maybe you do. I spend too much time feeling self-conscious about little, unimportant things. Maybe I'll buy a peace sign. Nah. I'm over those. How about a bright red dress? I'll wear it to the grocery store. ? Kate Fidkis, Huffington Post, May 28, 2010
    Last edited by abby054; 02-03-2023 at 04:44 AM.

ok then why does a cis woman not go out during the day in her clubbing gear ?, why does she want to blend in and wear the same as everybody else during the day ? Answer because thats what the majority of women do, so to make me feel like a woman I do what a normal woman would do during the day, and yes it works, I do feel part of the female society when I am dressed shopping, because I am doing what any normal woman would do during the day. Then at night time I dress in my more daring in the pubs and clubs, also Im following the trend of what normal women do when they go out at night to pubs and clubs, so I suppose once again you could say I blending in.

Aspiring Member
    The old Talbots advertising slogan from three decades ago may explain the perspective of GGs who have a reputation for dressing well: Standing out but not sticking out. They have their own style and fashion goals. While blending in, they stand out in ways their peers admire. From your post, Debs, it is evident that you have a much better developed style than I do. But I continue to work and improve.

The fashion pros define their style as their ability, carefully learned and practiced, to blend yet still be seen as better at fashion than most. They are normal women yet a cut above. That is what I am learning, studying, practicing to achieve despite being merely an occasional CD. I am improving, as my vacation last month showed. Two simple examples I described in my previous answer, I would not have considered a year ago. Maybe someday I will succeed. More likely, I will develop an improving style but never arrive.
    Last edited by abby054; 02-03-2023 at 05:34 AM.

Doc, Good question. You seem to ask questions that really make me think. Maybe more than I want to, but lets see. Why do I dress like I do? I always like to "present" like the "the girl next door" jeans and top, dresses, but I guess to look good (with out being ****tish, old fashion or prudish), skirts and blouses. Hugh... No answers here, maybe I am a little trans and just haven't faced it yet, hugh. Maybe I dress to look good just not great, or over the top. I don't know, it makes me feel good about myself. Kind of funny and probably not what you were looking for. "Get used to disappointment". I will be watching this thread. Brenda

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Can u CD's who don't identify as females explain why u feel the need to go out dressed everywhere yet don't want anyone to notice u?
    I'll take a stab at this, if I may...

And I suppose I'm a good-enough candidate as any, as there have been phases in my life where I would consider myself as a CD'er.

Sometimes, as a CD'er? It's not about other people. It's not about being noticed in *any* kind of way, good or bad. It's not if you can see if you can "fool" someone, or if they end up treating you as a woman in some way.

Nope, it's about you. Wearing what you want. And just going about your daily business, like anyone else would. No one bats an eye.

Maybe it's just something some of us of feel we need to do to really experience life how we want to?

As some of you may now be aware, these days I oftentimes wear a skirt & tights, in guy-mode, in public.

However, here's the catch, if there has to be one: I only do that in my large, multi-building apartment complex that I've lived in for a while now.

Going out like that, to like the grocery store & post office? Yeah, not happening.

And why is that? Because I already know from similar prior experience that I'd be drawing way too much attention from way too many people -- when perhaps I just want to be left alone in my own thoughts & little world.

So, I keep it closer to home. Much more enjoyable that way, and it's turning out that it's definitely been the right path for me at this point in my life.

I see in the responses that a lot of them eventually come back to personal preferences of a match between the way they feel and how they look. I am not certain you can actually separate CD from Trans by how they dress. The distinction comes from self concept and sense of self in the context of the environment in which they live. It appears that many do draw a distinction as to whether they are CD or Trans which presumes they do recognize a difference. And that is fine. But how does one tell the difference when you pass on the street? You really can't most of the time because the clothes each wear overlaps in expression so much with the vast diversity in female dressing. Perhaps in their mind there is a distinction but when you see someone there is no way to accurately identify how they conceptualize themselves. So, I think your question, although fundamentally fine, is a bit confusing as to what you mean by CD and Trans and how you separate the two when it comes to expression of each through dressing the part.

Perhaps the problem is where you say that Trans people are women inside which presumes CD's do not sense any femaleness inside. To me that makes no sense. First of all almost everybody's identity contains behavioral characteristics of the opposite sex - pure males and pure females are extremely rare in humans. Some have a lot of the traits of the opposite sex, others less, but almost everybody is a blend in terms of identity even though they are opposites in terms of anatomy. So, that initial motivation factor is critical to the expression in clothing. That motivation is derived from the concepts held in the brain that defines identity and those concepts have little to do with your anatomy. In fact, dressing hides your sexual anatomy to make it parallel with the primary decider which is the brain. It is a bit like trying to distinguish between a Transgender person and a Transexual person - for the most part Transexual has been merged into Transgender because nobody can really tell them apart. Pretty much the same thing is happening on the other end of the scale with CD and Transgender. They all tend to form a spectrum under the Transgender label, but the spectrum also tends to have bumps here and there when some show a bit more clustering than in other areas.

Most people, including my guymode self, don't bother w/ how we look in casual settings. Cds don't get out as much and so we tend to over dress. Dressing is something I do for myself and nothing external. So I'm ok w being anonymous. Putting together a look, an outfit is the challenge. No one can deny the appeal of club wear, but if provocative is the goal, it can certainly be had without mini garb. Doc, you simply don't acknowledge casual fashion

I have wondered at what "blending" really is. I have gone out in leggings and a top that covers my hips and butt, so I suppose that would be my blending look. I really don't do that much. I dress and go out for the experience, for a fun time. I like feeling feminine at such times, and a sweatshirt and jeans just won't do it for me. I prefer to wear nylon or tights with a dress or skirt. Conservative for me is the hemline down around the knee.

It is a strange mix in which I don't want to draw attention to myself, but I do like the concept of being seen and perhaps taken to be a woman at first glance (and maybe second or third). I guess I try to hit the happy medium of dressing pretty, but not so pretty as to get too long a look (I don't fool myself into thinking I pass). However, if I am getting out with other "ladies," I am more willing to wear something a bit more eye-catching. In that regard, I blend in with my companions.
    www.flickr.com/people/196660660@N08/

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    I get the point that you want the pageant beauty feeling every time you go out. I challenge the fact that you may not feel the same in more typical clothes. You would be surprised how much fun it can be to just be out and about like everyone else. I suppose after a while it can get tiring and boring. Let me tell you from experience that's a long while. I will always respect the Privileges I've been granted regardless of whether I belong there or not. Acceptance never gets old.

Ive only ventured out a few times under cover of darkness. For decades my choice of outfit was only for wearing in the home and was to some extent controlled by what my wife was prepared to see me wear. In going outside my home en femme, I don’t want to stand out too much - certainly until my confidence grows. I therefore dress to fit in as much as I can with my presentation but that does not mean forgoing hosiery dresses and skirts. It does mean thinking about heel height though which as most on here will know is very different outside to inside.
    Paige

Great question. In thinking about it, I?m not really sure. Granted, I seldom go out, but when I do, I definitely dress to blend in which means no heels, hose makeup, etc. or wearing the things I?d really like to wear. Could it be part of the pink fog complex? I do underdress, hose, panties & bra daily, which is nice.

Reality Check
    Not all of us have a desire to be noticed and not all of us are willing to go through the hassle of being noticed as a crossdresser by those who may have an objection to men wearing women's clothes (and wigs and boobs).

For me, being seen by others as a normal woman is the goal. It's not hard to dress outlandishly and be noticed as a crossdresser. All you have to do is buy the clothes, put them on and walk out the door. It's much more of a challenge (for me, anyhow) to walk down the street or through the shopping mall as a woman and have people not notice that I am really a man dressed as a woman.

The bottom line of course is, we all get to do this crossdressing thing the way we want to do it. Your way is fine for you, my way is fine for me and other ways are fine for other crossdressers. As long as we don't do anything illegal or anything that hurts other people we have the freedom to do it our way.
    Krisi

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I am a part timer, I call it my Hobby. I under dress with panties 24/7 but I only dress on my days off from work. I work in a male dominated department, I work in security for a major time share company. Every other dept. is female dominate. I wear a uniform with a duty belt with radio, flashlight and other things, and I try to project an attitude and appearance that is unmistakably masculine and authoritative. I try to look the part. And I've gotten many compliments on my professional appearance. I use the same approach when cross dressing, I want to look the part. Dressing everyday doesn't fit into my life, it's way too much work to look the way I want on a daily basis. I don't have the time or desire to get up early and get dolled up before work, take it all off go to work and come home and transform again. I don't need that. Anyways, I'm NOT trans, I don't want to be a girl. I am a grown man playing dress up and make believe and I want to be the Princess not the scullery maid. Why anyone playing "dress up" would want to dress up like every other poorly dresses hausfrau is beyond me. The bar is set low so it's easy to stand out. As a man I get very little attention and cross dressing is my outlet. I want to be seen as an attractive middle aged woman that has style and great legs. I put effort into my outfit for the supermarket. I don't care if I'm clocked as long as I'm seen and treated as a woman, as long as I look good and can turn some heads. I like the attention, I'm sure a therapist would have a lot to say. That said, I do not wear club wear to the market but I do wear mini skirts, dresses, shorts, definitely somethings a younger woman might wear, but as long as I can pull it off reasonably well I'm gonna flaunt what I got. Rambling post over. lol.

Peace & Love
    Gerri