Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you wear?

Chantal,

This is another of those posts that takes me back to my earlier days my first interaction with others of our community at a support group meeting. I can't remember if I wore a patterned crossover dress of skirt and blouse combo but I do remember wearing a pair of strappy white kitten heeled sandals that weren't the most comfortable as if memory serves they were a size too small.

Subsequent visits I stuck with smart casual and definitely more comfortable shoes, still heeled of course.

Going to the theatre is on my bucket list and were it to be a play or music performance then again smart would be the order of the day. I would love the opportunity to go to a gala performance and put on a few more sequins, something full length and figure hugging. Just need a years notice (at least) to get more weight off.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Well, if any of those things were happening right now I have pretty much one look. Black leggings, an oversize sweater, and either modest heels, ballet flats, or mules. I can dress it up a little by my choice of tops and shoes, but other than one sparkly sweater I don't have anything dressy. I'm quite boring these days. Now, it it was 10 years ago, or 20 or 30 or even 40(!) my answer would certainly be different.

A great set of questions. Obviously the answers will depend a good bit on where we all are (maturity, physical location, acceptance in the community, etc) in the overall scheme of things. I recently went though this process, having attended my first group meeting in September.

1. The group meeting I attended was in a function hall and was the first time Jennifer had ever been out of the house. I had been dressing for quite some time and have a tolerant wife so I was comfortable in the clothes. Before the meeting I enquired as to what to wear. The answers I go were basically "whatever you find comfortable". So, helpful, but not really when it comes down to looking in the closet.

I consulted with a GG friend and shared some pictures in various outfits. She liked many of them, and nominated a few. But again the response was basically "go with what is comfortable". So, ultimately I went with a leopard print a-line skirt and a black chiffon-type top. Added some platform wedges in a nude color and a black bag. I think the outfit worked well on me and was not at all out of place at the meeting.

2) So I did decide to continue going to the group's meetings. The next meeting was themed Halloween since it was in October. I thought about doing a real costume. But ultimately I just settled on a halloween themed tunic top over black leggings. Added a different bag and black flats for this one. Fun time. Some of the group came in full costume mode (maid, 50's housewife, hula girl) and some in just ordinary female clothing.

3) The next group event as a girls night out at a local restaurant which is attached to a large mall. Another big step for Jennifer as the previous two meetings were in a safe, controlled environment. Now Jennifer would be very much out in public. I decided to go fairly christmas dressy with a bright red top, pleated black skirt, black hose and black flats. Was going to wear heels but was afraid of the distances I might have to walk in them as well as the fact that I'm not adept at them.

So overall, I stuck to my comfort zone and basic casual/blendy style.

We have another meeting coming up next week and it looks to be a GNO at a restaurant yet to be decided. I'm totally up in the air about what to wear but that will somewhat depend on the actual venue. I suspect though that I'll stick with my same style.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

As one who has only underdressed in the big wide open this is on the bucket list someday. If I were to do it Im sure there would be a lot of communication so Id feel comfortable. The first meeting would probably be business casual either dark womens slacks with a white blouse and nice pumps. It?s chilly so maybe a feminine coat and of course jewelry. Or I could replace the slacks with a nice skirt.
    On future meetings it would depend on the theme and the weather. I could wear jeans shorts or LBD.

Silver Member
    In all of those situations, personally I would wear a skirt suit, or a professional looking dress and a blazer. In my experience, this look tends to always goes over well with people. It is dressy and formal, with a skirt, stockings and heels, without drawing too much (or negative) attention. I also found people in the general public tend to be a bit nicer to me if I look like a professional woman, even if I am technically overdressed and/or they read me.

1. My first group meeting was for Halloween so I bought a Dorothy costume (Wizard of Oz), so that was a special case.

2. For my choices to subsequent meetings, I didn't consider what the others wore. That doesn't really matter to me. I shop for things that I think look good on me. When I shop I always ask myself "would I wear this out?" and the answer is generally yes (and if I really like it I take my GG friend Renee's advice to buy it and find a place to wear it). Renee has also encouraged me to expand my comfort zones, and I have.

3. Absolutely, positively dressy. I bought a great dress and needed a place to wear it, so I bought a Hamilton ticket and wore it to that. My second play was Hairspray with another GG friend so I wore a pink dress I like. I've gone to three rock concerts and try to dress in rock babe style. The third concert was definitely more aggressive than the first two.
    I'm Sun-Dee at Kandi's Land; read about my outings here:

https://www.kandis-land.com/author/dee/

This is a fun thread with lots of interesting responses. I’d split the difference in these circumstances. I like the contrast of a a casual outfit with something a little sexy. Maybe jeans and a blazer over a lacey top? Add a choker, fishnets and heels if you feel like slicing it up a bit??

I think I'd go dressy casual, but I'd have my beard and ponytail. I am, and present as, a feminine styled male rather than female so I am not sure if I'd even fit in at a function like that.

A mid thigh mini dress and stilettos. And block heels to get to get to the party before changing shoes.

Marion

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Thanks for all the good reads folks! I loved all that was shared of your outfit presentations (possible choices and for some past choices). I am sure that the reading of the thread may help with someone picking out an outfit if they choose to do one of the scenarios in the future