Thread: Heels and steps

Heels and steps

No, not the going up, coming down sort of steps, I mean the number of extra small steps I've noticed myself making when heel wearing.

For example, I go to get something out of the fridge. As I get to the door I'll put in an extra little step to bring my legs together as I stand. Same when standing at the kitchen counter. I drab, walk up, left foot, right foot down and stand. In heels it's left, then right and then slightly reposition left ( or visa versa).

Once I noticed it I found myself doing it all the time. Stopping to open a door, it's the same little three step shuffle.

I know we all walk differently in heels than we do in drab. They alter your posture and stride but I'd not noticed this small change in just how I not so much how I walked, as how I came to a stop.

Is it just me or do you find yourself making these what up to now have been subconscious little changes to how you move?
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Ill have to check and see. If it's truly as you say, subconscious, I guess I wouldn't really know until I try. But if I try it while thinking about it ahead of time....that may not be truly SUBconscious. Now you've got me thinking too much.

Interesting.

Linda

I do that. I think when bending down to open a fridge or something I do it to make sure I'm steady on my heels and balanced.
    "She snuck up on me from behind. You'd think women would make more noise with those big high heels, but they don't, they've got this stealth thing going..."

Yes I definitely do that Helen.
    It’s something I noticed quite early on in my heel wearing life

Sometimes I?ll catch myself doing my girl movements in guy mode and have to adjust if there are people around. If there?s nobody I just let it go

After Ive been away dressed full time for a few days, shopping during the day and pubs and clubs at night, when I return home and have to wear flat shoes I find my stepping is way off in flats for a few hours until they feel norm again. Im still using the same stride that I would do in heels and it feels like youve missed a step, its really weird, lol

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Ive studied so much how women walk. I've also noticed how they stand with legs close together. I never really considered how they naturally stood that way. This is interesting information. I will be paying closer attention to how they get there. Thanks!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    2 points, Helen.

The height of your heels makes a big difference! In 5" spikes if u don't change your cowboy stance and gait? You're on the ground!

Hi spikes and carpeted steps have nearly spelled disaster for me! Going down, it's very easy to catch a heel tip. Which I have done twice! Once, falling down and the other catching myself on the railing. Both times tearing the heels off my shoes!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Platinum Member
    Hi Helen after years of dressing & Walking in Heels becomes Second Nature,

Your mind makes the Changs for you, >Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Frequently I wear dresses and heels to church. I'm also in the choir (I sing bass). The choir, along with the priests and some lay people process to the front at the beginning of the service and recess to the back of the sanctuary at the end of the service. With heels I have to take shorter steps. When I wear a coat and tie outfit or men's business casual I notice I continue to take shorter steps out of habit.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Hello. So, in drab mode I can cross the house in 3 steps where as in heels it takes 20. Not really but you get the point. I take so many more steps wearing my heels and yes I too have a little shuffle at the end. I read the how to walk in heels somewhere and you take smaller steps, try to put one in front of the other and it will help create that sexy strut. That will run through my mind just crossing the living room.

Another funny thing is when I am walking down the side walk. I spend more time avoiding the gap between pads of the concrete to prevent sinking my heel in there. So I am strutting, judging my stride to the gaps and cracks, gotta keep your head up, and on and on...guess that's why I love a wedge heel. lol

When I have the apartment to myself while dressing (happened once recently), I have the occasion to walk in heels for practical reasons (going from point A to B rather than checking my look in the mirror). When I do, I walk in strides and don't make significantly more steps than when in drab shoes.
    If you look at women walking in heels today (we can see quite a few in our city), they do the same, strides, not steps, even with high heels (reasonably high). And that makes sense since women, much more than men, go from point A to B when walking in the city (there are studies about this, analyzing the gendered occupation of public space).
    As a CDer you are entitled to whatever walk you fancy. But it may not be necessarily feminine other than in a stereotyped sense, and talking about girl steps may have more to do with internal representations of femininity as dainty and fragile things than actual observation of females. These boots are made for walkin'.
    Last edited by DianeT; 02-25-2023 at 03:16 AM.

Hi Helen. I too find I step so different when in heels. With a pair of sneakers I can cross the living room in a few steps. Try that is my favorite three inch heels and it will take forever to get across. I read somewhere to take smaller steps or a stride ensuring to place on foot in front of the other for that perfect femme walk. It is fun walking that way too.

Yes, I too am a neophyte at walking in heels. To me, that's the most feminine thing that we can do. I'm getting better with very limited practice but still have a long way to go.
    Our stride definitely shortens as we have to keep the heels under our center of gravity. Which is not a natural clod hopper male gait.
    I'm getting there slowly but surely. Much shorter steps, legs closer together etc.
    My hope is to one day emulate that woman that we've all seen strut in 4 inch stilettos like she owns the place. That's my Holy Grail!
    The most common form of despair is not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard

I can't help but walk differently in heels -- well, higher than 3 inches. And yes, the little step when coming to a stop is common, but then again I notice my AFAB partner doing the same when they're in heels.

And @CrossKimmy -- I used to have trouble switching modes, too, but since I've come out as nonbinary/genderqueer/gender fluid, I'm trying to lean into femme behavior at all times.

Undoubtedly we walk differently when in heels. As someone who now considers themselve to be fully confident when walking in heels I know it's possible to walk with a stride length not much shorter than my natural male stride. It is easier and less tiring however to shorten your stride especially if tackling uneven surfaces.

This post isn't dealing with that. It's not about the getting from A to B but what happens at the time of arrival and more specifically when engaged in doing those little tasks around the home. I've also realised these extra little steps are more prominent when I'm doing things quickly, on the hurry up. They tend not to happen when doing things at a normal speed.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Just want to say I noticed how specific your initial observation was. Also waiting for more people to comment on your actual question. Trying to remind myself to notice this IRL.

It's always necessary to adjust our steps to the terrain we're walking on, regardless of the footwear we have on, in order to maintain balance, stability and remain upright.
    In my younger years I played a lot of ice hockey, and I've found that walking in heels is a lot like walking in skates: balancing one's weight on a narrow blade, elevated at the heel can be just as challenging, especially for the beginner. Off the ice, it's natural to take tiny steps in your skates, making micro adjustments with each step in order to keep your balance and avoid tripping.
    Many years of skating have very likely made it easier for me to adapt to wearing heels, but I do agree that it's necessary to adjust one's stride when doing so.
    Marsha Louise
    Fashion liberated and loving it!

Banned Read only
    I love wearing heels.. there was a time when I used to get a thrill out of wanting to be seen.
    I had worn a really skimpy costume and walked out on the road from our home...it was pretty late at night...
    Somehow I panicked the last moment.. had high heels on.. tried running, wasn't used to it and had a bad fall spraining my ankle in the process

I noticed that when going down the steep steps in 7+ cm high heels, I usually walk a bit sideways. It feels safer. Especially when wearing stilettos.

Hi Helen, Yes, all those little "adjustment" steps that I think would be overcome with practice, but YES those little extra steps. That's half the fun of walking in heels. I think we (guys and gals) all have that learning curve. I had the pleasure of noticing a young (early teens) woman practicing in new red pumps (3"?) walking down a residential street getting the feel for her brand new adult heels. Brenda