Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy

Tragedy

So we came home to find 15" of water in the basement. Two containers of clothes wet. I have spread out in the attic as best I can. DADT is a real bummer in times like this.
    Susann_Gardener

So sorry to read this SuSann. Things like this is why I don?t go away during winter months. Was it a burst pipe or leaking basement from all the rain?
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

A cellar is a well that you try to keep dry. Please do not put anything on the floor.

New England old homes are big leakers for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JocelynJames View Post
    So sorry to read this SuSann. Things like this is why I don?t go away during winter months. Was it a burst pipe or leaking basement from all the rain?
    Sump pumps failed. Found problem and fixed.

Yah, holes in the ground are a problem.
    Susann_Gardener

is there no laundromats near by with dryers ?

I feel your pain. Our sump pump has failed twice in the 24 years we've lived here. The most recent time, just before the start of the pandemic, we had a pump with a battery backup pump professionally installed, and one of my goals in retirement is to move to a home without a @#$&%* sump pump. As Debs said, though, i would take the clothing to a laundromat. Launder first, since the washer will get most of the water out, and then dry whatever can go through the dryer, and hang the rest. Good luck!

Susan, I'm so sorry. I hope everything is OK after it dries.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

With some cleaver out-of-the-box thinking, I have found place to spread out all my clothes. They are drying.
    Somewhat riskier locations but doing what I can.
    Do not have time or opportunity to take to a laundrymat.
    Susann_Gardener

Reality Check
    Most likely, the clothes need to be washed before you dry them. Water in the basement is not clean.
    Krisi

Platinum Member
    Just a thought. To avoid such mishaps in the future, consider getting some of those large, Rubbermaid tubs with lids.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Appriciate all the suggestions. Washing will have to wait until a later time when time is available.
    A change in containers might attract attention, that may not work, but I will think on it.
    Current container was a 5 gal bucket, that floated, tipped and took on some water.
    Also a gym bag, which of course soked up water.
    Thank goodness a dress like my avatar wasn't involved.
    Susann_Gardener

Hi Susann, Sorry to hear about the flooding, it sounds like you already have two pumps, you might consider an alarm bell utilizing a water sensor. Again, sorry to hear about the mess and extra work. Hopefully you are able to salvage all of your clothes. Stay positive, Brenda
    PS Love the blue ball gown.

Brenda,

Have a water sensor with alarm, Trouble was it is inside over the sump. I have added another and extended it outside where my neighbor would hear it. Wish I had that gown!
    Susann_Gardener

Reality Check
    A simple solution would be to store your stuff up off the floor. On shelves, tables, etc.

An alarm only alerts you if you are home, it doesn't stop the water.
    Krisi

I recently noticed that my local laundromat has a wash service where they wash and dry your clothes (for a fee).

I used this type of service regularly when I was on a long term (month) out of town work assignment.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

OMG Susan, I'm so sorry to hear about you little flood. I had an inch of water in my basement a few years ago, and I remember all the cleanup of the things that got wet, and how the water would wick up through a box of clothing. Best of Luck Rach

What a good excuse to go thrift shopping. And buy all new clothes! Newer and better.
    Gather up your courage --find a day of the weed (week) when they are not busy--ask the nice lady up front if she minds if you shop dresses. Hint that you need some help. With luck and a big smile--she will likely help you pic out some nice outfits in your size. She will give fashion advice, if you ask for something suitable for a special event. Outfit for...wedding? Work? Symphony concert? Nightclub? And of course, take a careful look at the high heel shoes in your size. Try them on.
    Last edited by JenniferR771; 04-01-2023 at 03:03 PM.

I understand the feeling. I have irregular seepage in an old basement, so I try to keep my things up and in waterproof containers. I have to be sure they are mouse proof as well, living in the country. Had one starting a nest near where I stored my shoes.
    www.flickr.com/people/196660660@N08/

susann sorry to hear about your flood. I remember being stationed in S Illinois in the mid 80's. The house we were renting had a basement that flooded and there were lots of things that got ruined.
    The Pink Fog will be with you, always!

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    that sort of sucks, sorry to hear that

Just another 'Gurl'
    That's rough.
    Just another man in a dress

We had a fire a couple months ago that burnt our home/office/warehouse to the ground. Everything was lost. I miss the journals I kept w my kids memories & pictures, but I also miss my girly wardrobe.

I?ve got new panties I like. I bought new breast forms that are way too big 🙄

Sorry to hear about your flooding. Pumps alarms and power failure are a way of basement life we deal with. I have one too. Hoping things come out ok. No girl wants musty clothes!

Fortunately, all clothes affected are washable. I will just have to wait until the new washing machine arrives. In the meantime, everything is drying out. I don't know if mold is a problem as I am not home at this time.
    Thanks to all for the good wishes and helpful thoughts.
    Susann_Gardener

Nicole, that's horrible! Hope things get better!