Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trans or not, has the public conversation about gender dysphoria impacted you?

Absolutely it's disconcerting, for example, their is an event coming up. I've gone in years past and but with the public reteric etc I am reconsidering. It has nothing to do with being in the closeted or not. It's very sad and it actually increases my dysphoria.
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

I have not had any trouble travelling around in the UK, everything seems just fine.

While I don't go out dressed, the way things are has made me put any such ambitions back in the box. I'd never come close to passing anyways, and the risk is high with my male-dominated-lots-of-bigots-workplace. Too many years in and too close to retirement. Overall I'm pretty disgusted with the current state of things and how trans people are the current "punching bag". Hopefully this too shall pass soon.
    -Cheryllynn

Yes, it has. By wording of some of these misguided regulations, I am a "drag queen", and may be subject to arrest if I appear in public. And I can't believe that were right back here, but in several states, I could be arrested for using the correct restroom. This. Is. Madness.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

hello Shelby.
    Here in the UK there seems to be a lot of discussion about trans people and "women only spaces".
    It has become political because in Scotland it has become easier to obtain a Gender Recognition Certificate this year and some think this is in conflict with the UK Equalities Act.
    Several feminists I know and respect seem to be saying things that may be considered transphobic.
    Although I crossdress in private this does not have any direct impact on me, I do feel very sad that this situation has evolved so badly.
    stay healthy and safe!
    luv J

Shelby,

This does not impact me directly since I live in a very accepting part of New England. I have recently started dressing again after a long time away. I cannot say for sure that I suffer from dysphoria or at what level but that is a conversation for another forum post.

When I think about all the trans issues in the news recently it has had an impact on me. It makes me feel frustrated and anxious with the whole situation and wanting to find a better way to help the trans community. As for coping I have talked to coworkers about trans issues (when they bring them up) to try and provide an alternate view if they see or hear something controversial. I do not try to forcefully persuade people's opinions but instead provide any missing information from a trans ally perspective.

For a while it felt like the public sentiments on trans and crossdressing was changing for the better but I feel like things are spiraling out of the good direction.

I live in a very liberal part of the country so try not to worry about it too much. So far I have never had a bad encounter or reaction.
    "Care about what other people think of you and you will always be their prisoner" - Lao Tzu

Not trying to be political. My honest answer is.. I am pizzed. My gay and trans friends have been unfairly villainized. People in my area are being threatened with physical violence for hosting a drag show. Cruelty against those who are different is once again in fashion.

At many family gatherings on one side of my family the subject of transgender comes up and they will be so judgmental and mean. If they only knew I was wearing panties and pantyhose under my pants and that I accept and love being under the transgender umbrella. I will sometimes say something to defend the trans community but alot of the time I stay silent when I want to scream. I love my family but they are so wrong. Let people live the way they want to live and dress the way they want to dress and love who they want to love.

So your all just going to step back after all the progress thats been made in the last 8 to 10 years, yes I go out a lot and have seen a massive diffence in accetance in a good way, and now we have a few woke people offering there dislike, lets all hide again !!!, not me, I will stand up to these keyboard warrior bullies, if they want to confront me, bring it on. I aint going backwards after all the progress that has been made. The number 1 thing you all forget DRESSING UP AS A GIRL ISNT A CRIME, go to a stag do loads of guys dressed as girls, do they get arrested, no. The difference is when you are serious about it, 9 times ot of ten your alone. but your still not breaking any laws. Your not going to get arrested, believe me. ok Rant over, see you out there in the real world and not on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Debs View Post
    So your all just going to step back after all the progress thats been made in the last 8 to 10 years...
    No. Not all.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Quote Originally Posted by Debs View Post
    So your all just going to step back after all the progress thats been made in the last 8 to 10 years
    Honestly, and I know this is the wrong answer, probably so. I guess I'll have to see what comes up and decide at the time, but that's the honest answer.

Years ago when Target announced their restroom gender policy I was at Target, not fully dressed but polished nails, women's shorts, women's top, and I see a dad, mom, and daughter about 8 or 10. I kind of got a once-over look and a smirk from the dad. Later I walk near the restrooms and I see that dad apparently standing guard at the restroom while the mom and daughter were in there. I got the same "try me" kind of smirk. I did not need to use the restroom anyway and I probably wouldn't have gone to the ladies room if I had needed to (although dressed as I was that's another problem). Target corporate policy... progress. Dad standing guard... reaction. Some of you would have strolled right in there. Not me. Not in a million years. I'm not a fighter, not a crusader, and damn sure not a martyr. That's kind of the vibe I get now, just no personal experience to back it up.

Since I'm a closeted man in a dress type, I'm not affected as much as those who go out dressed. But, my inclination to dress came just as Katlyn Jenner emerged to the national limelight. So, on a personal level, my wife's perceptions of crossdressing is synonymous with transgender and there's a constant knowledge of her disapproval bordering on disgust at times.

So, it's at a personal level that the publicity and the debate is affecting me.

I Recently got an email from a film festival i was involved in for a while that described this powerful new acronym:
    LGBTQIA2S+ Geesh!! I had to go look every letter up. How many more can we add before it's the entire alphabet?
    When I saw this alphabet soup of trans-diversity, I about fell over. All I could think of is that's a lot of bathroom doors
    at the Airport to choose from! How will I know which is for me?

As for Myself, I'm not trans, I'm just a simple guy that loves dressing, looking and feeling like a woman sometimes. It is so amazingly freeing
    it's as simple as that. Dressing somehow gives me power over the clothes and styles that at one point I only admired in women I respected, but could never be myself.
    Those clothes had Real Power over me really somehow. But when I am dressed that power over me all goes away.
    I have taken some of that power back for myself and enjoy dressing in the fashions and styles I feel good in, at least in the closet ( I have gone out in public, but rarely).

And it definitely is NOT drag, That is a whole different thing. I recently learned the term "drag" came form early stage scripts in vaudeville and silent films
    where the male character listed in the script was to be "drag" (or simply "dressed as a girl"). My personal opinion is I fine drag kind of insulting to women, where
    crossdressing is more in awe of women. I once asked a close female friend, if she was insulted by Drag, since its such a caracature of women. It's almost like how early minstrel shows
    presented people of color, drag is doing the same thing to women - caracaturing them. Sure, Drag Queens are trying to entertain and in no way try to "pass", where crossdressers are ALWAYS
    trying to be subtle enough to pass. That's a big difference.

Lastly, I apologize for prattling on so, but something touched a nerve I guess. (I'm still trying to figure out what the "+" is in that sequence of gender identity)

Love to you All! - Annie