Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you dress?

Feels right and have always felt the need to feel feminine. Love the look and soft and silky textures available.

I dress because I always have and always will. I'm not sure why, I have done it since I was 4 or 5 years old. I do love the colors and feel, but I'm not sure I understood this when I was a child.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Aspiring Member
    It's like a drug. Once you start you can't stop.
    Sara

Why do we do this? The full, absolute answer is still somewhat unknown. But a great deal is known about it. Without writing a book about the reasons here please allow me to give you the simple answer.

Everybody is configured differently when it comes to the details of your sense of self, your sense of who and what you are in terms of your social role. It is now known that most people have a brain configuration where the behaviors that are most common for them is the sense of self that is consistent with that generally expected and in accordance with your sex. For most, males behave like males and females behave like females.

But that does not mean they do not have other brain structures that generate behaviors and a sense of self that does not have a component that is more characteristic of those of the opposite sex. But a smaller percentage have an abundance of behavioral neural structures that are characteristic of the opposite sex. It is just a normal variation on the general theme of having various degrees of not only male-like behaviors if a male but also female-like behaviors.

When those opposite gender behaviors are active the person senses some degree of somehow being of the opposite gender. That is true of perhaps 5% of the population. But somewhere around 1% of the population experience feelings that they actually are of the opposite gender almost all the time.

This all develops as a result of both genetic configurations we have and also a lot of adaptation to experiences we have had that are interpreted by our brain to produce opposite gender behaviors.

There are a lot of excellent evolutionary reasons why this blending occurs in humans that produce an ability for males and females to collaborate in social and familial matters. We are successful because males and females can work together toward common goals and that is because we each have a bit of the other in us; some just have more than others. Just plain old natural variation that produces a very positive outcome. Nothing really freakish about it, irrespective of what social and political customs think is the case. To deny that is to block that which has made our species so successful.

It is customary in human cultures for us to wear some kind of clothing or other things that express who we sense we are personally. And if you have a lot of opposite sex neural networks then you tend to naturally express that because that is a major part of who you are as an individual.

But that does not mean you are always fully aware of that configuration. Much of our behavior motivations never reach our consciousness but still occur and have an influence on us.

So there it is - you do it because if fits the fine details of who you are whether you are consciously aware of it or not. It is not really a choice at all but is a natural outcome of how your brain is configured as a result of your inheritance (genetics) and your vast array of experiences that are dealt with in the context of your genetic configuration. Very, very complex subject, but it applies to everyone and is expressed in different ways by each person.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Primarily, I am an ESCAPIST. I dress to "take a vacation away from myself", even if it is but a few hours. I can become "Marina", who is a different person and a woman, so I am escaping both my self and my gender and the the obligations and worries that go along with them,--- I can completely relax and unwind. Stress melts away. And Dressing has it's bonuses too, things that initially got me started around puberty. It turns me on, I enjoy feeling "pretty", I like the clothing and makeup and have another "creative outlet". I discovered the ESCAPIST element some years into my dressing, and now it is the primary "driver" that makes me continue.

I find it fascinating how there are so many "drivers" to dressing with us straight crossdressers. Dressing in Transsexuals and Homosexuals is (Generally) easy to figure out and speculate upon, but straight CDing motives range from complex fetishes, to escapism to "taboo-tripping" to "s/m humiliation" to the challenge of getting away with it, even simply liking the feel of the clothing fabric.---and MORE and several combinations. It gives me all kinds of clues to study in one of my "side hobbies" of figuring out how the brain works. Even "Furries" (people dressing as animals) seem to be related, but having a human vs animal vs male vs female element, with other patterns being similar. Yet another important clue.
    Last edited by MarinaTwelve200; 05-02-2023 at 07:38 AM.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    It started as a curiosity. Then it became a challenge. Then I got special attention for it. Now it's just normal. I always say I wasn't "supposed to be" a woman, I'd just rather be a woman.

Banned Read only
    "Why would a man wear a bra when he has nothing to pack into it?" my wife said just before we had "The Talk. Decades ago I gave up trying to figure the answer out. I did blurt out something to the effect that I was trying to contact my feminine side to which my wife responded, 'When you can have a baby, tell me about your feminine side!" Finally, I said "I do not know why I do what I do!" Does it make any sense that a man would willingly don women's attire and potentially suffer all of society's negativity? No.

So, what effect does dressing have on me? To don a pretty dress affords me the opportunity to escape the pressures of my wife; work (now retired), military inflicted combat related PTSD, stresses of family life. My former PTSD counselor's opinion is each man or woman has some degree of the opposite sex within their dna; in some it is more than others. That seems plausible. It seems at time the maleness dominates; others the female asserted herself. Whether is male or female mode I have always been drawn to expressing myself with colors and prints. Right now I am wearing a knee length dress with a bright floral print in pink, blue and white. It makes me feel at ease and stress free.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Name something else an 80 y/o man can do that's half as much fun!?
    Dolly Parton's personal bra fitter and manager?
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

It just feels right.

Because I feel like me when I do.
    It feels almost like a masquerade when I don't.

It took many, many years for me to become comfortable with myself and my dressing. Ever since I was little I was drawn to women's clothing and although society said otherwise it always felt normal to me. Personally I believe it's a genetic thing that's just not understood yet. Yes, I love the fabrics, the colors and patterns, the styles and all that. But mostly it's how I feel when I'm dressed. It feels natural to me.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Well let's see...

As a kid I always got into my mother's or my aunts' things and I developed a curiosity towards it. Then somewhere during my mate teens I had a girlfriend who liked to dress me up and I was hooked. After we broke up I managed to put the dressing behind me, although the desire never went away. Bye the time I hit my mid 50s my desire to dress came on so strong it was either accept this part of me or go crazy. I decided to embrace my feminine side. I absolutely love this side of me and I'm happiest when I have my girl on.
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

Banned Read only
    For me it's simple: I enjoy the process, and if it's something one enjoys and nobody is getting hurt in the process then I have no reason not to do it.

I love the way it makes me feel. A complete escape and stress relief.

Non-Binary Princess Britney Summers's Avatar
    It lets that inner female out to show her self. Thats why I do it.

I?ve asked myself the same question since age 6, starting after my first experience (nylons). I?m still not sure, but I know it?s permanently within me. It?s so enjoyable and relaxing. Neither my supportive wife or I understand it, but I/we know it?s here to stay. I?ve underdressed for years. Now retired, I dress daily. My wife is very helpful especially with makeup.

Platinum Member
    Simple the reason is because I am two personalities in a shared space if Wendy was not dressed as Wendy than we would all be dressed as a male and Wendy would be a female to male cross dresser and I have enough issues with him doing it

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Why not.

It makes me happy.

Self-validation?
    Giving myself permission to express outwardly what I feel like inside.

Why I dress. Life shaping experiences, desires, Lynda Carter, the 80's, fabrics, styles and patterns, deep in my soul hard core passionate feelings, peace to my being, an unexplainable urge a powerful draw as a moth to a flame.

This question comes up on the regular. You could almost set your calendar by it.

The short answer is that no one really knows. Credible studies of crossdressers are even more scarce than those done on gender dysphoria.

The somewhat longer answer is that there are several possible reasons. For some, it's a fetish. They get a sexual rush out of it. The fetish thing is not always sexual, though. For some, it's the fabric, color, and texture. For others, it's a form of expression, a way for those who still identify as male to periodically let that feminine side out into the light for a bit.

We do know a few things for certain. The urge will wax and wane over time. The urge will probably never go away. Yes, those with enough willpower can suppress it, but that's not the same as having it disappear, and more importantly, the suppression often has undesirable consequences.

Finally, the old joke is "What's the difference between a crossdresser and a transsexual? About two years." I can say with authority that there is some truth to that. I identified as "just a crossdresser" for decades. I don't know if the "peace" that many crossdressers speak of is the same for all, but for me, if finally made sense when, with the help of my therapist, I put together the rest of the pieces.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sienna_cd View Post
    Why do you dress? I know many of us have the urge and maybe have even tried to stop, but why do you prefer panties and other female cloths? My wife can?t understand it, I know for me I like the material and color options. Really the options in general. What is your why?
    Yes, this question has been asked and answered perhaps hundreds of times. I would suggest that there are reasons that we might ascribe to the desire to dress, such as liking the materials, or the styles are more interesting, or that we just adore women so much that we want to be like them. These seem to me rather superficial explanations or justifications. Perhaps we get closer to the truth when we acknowledge an early experience or possibly adolescent sexual association, a positive endorphin response, or for some of us even an enduring sense that we are more or less wired differently, that our brains might be more feminine that masculine.

Unfortunately, these are all speculations that may satisfy some personal need, but are supported by meager and contradictory evidence.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

If I look hard, I can find men's attire that is solf, colorful, and even somewhat feminine in style, but that's not what women wear.
    Last edited by Teresa.Smith.VA; 05-08-2023 at 08:02 PM.

because I am me!

I feel complete inside. So pretty and soft I cant get enough. its a part of me it cant be denied .till i die i will always dress