Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heels and other ironies

Banned Read only

Heels and other ironies

The more time I spend observing women in a variety of environments, the greater the gap widens between what many of us (cds) view as appropriate attire and what contemporary cis women actually wear. One perfect example is footwear. Next time you are out and about, make a mental note of how many women you see wearing heels. You may be surprised to discover that most women today DO NOT wear heels unless they are going to a formal reception or a party. It's amazing how ubiquitous informal footwear has become among women, regardless of context. Professionals, blue collar, on the street, in an office, anywhere. Most women wear flats, sandals, sneakers, boots. Anything but heels.

I agree and do not think this is new, unfortunately it has been happening for years
    Crissy

It's just a clothing fad. Usually instead of heels, dress up is low height wedges. I fell into their situation. My last pair of shoes was a pair of boat shoes, for walking on beach as heels, etc would not work. It does make the what should I wear today question open with more possibilities.

Could be a regional thing. I know it's confirmation bias, but I see women in heels a fair bit where I live and work.

I was traveling by air recently, and had a bunch of hours to kill at an airport. I started doing a big walking loop at the airport, and to keep my mind occupied I was counting the number of women I saw in skirts, dresses, and/or heels. Dresses were the least common, heels the most. There was only one woman wearing pumps (my personal preference) though.

MOD HAT ON WITH A REMINDER

Per the rules-

NO Ridiculing or complaints on members/non-members wear or the manner in which they express themselves. This includes any complaint about the way females, males, transgendered, or any other cross-section of the membership dress.

Just a warning many times threads like these go down hill.

Now my answer as a member
    Depends on the job and or region.
    Both my daughters wear heels at work but slip into something cute and comfortable when they can.

Styles, fads change but some people get stuck in a certain style ??I am guilty of that with Gypsy skirts.
    I am not in the work force anymore so rarely wear heels anymore and I now have some durn cute shoes and boots .
    I wear what I like as everyone should.
    Last edited by Di; 05-06-2023 at 03:25 PM.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

I used to wear heals for evening dinners, but have gone to flats and open toed pumps, (something that lets my cute nail polish show, something I wear all the time) During daytime events, I am migrating to tennis shoes from flats, and 1" pumps. I am thinking of going from dress/ skirt & blouses, to caprices, shorts, and/or leggings. I am also reducing the amount of color I am wearing on my finger nails and face.
    Part of my reason to change my shoe types is that I have a balance problem, and it is getting worse.
    Last edited by Leslie Mary S; 05-05-2023 at 10:17 PM.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Women can and will wear whatever they like! And, so will I!

I want to see an attractive, sexy woman in my mirror. So, I usually wear 4"+ spike heels!

Otherwise, I won't bother to dress at all. But, I'm just a CD. So, when I see a sloppy, old man, wearing comfortable drabs, in my mirror? It's not the end of the world!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 05-06-2023 at 02:27 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sorry flats do nothing for my feeling of being a girl, its got to be heels with the clicks, even kitten heels do it for me, flats to me do not make you walk like a woman.

I love heels, not sure if I walk correctly in them but they are one of the main items that I associate with the look. Legs alway look better in heels as it defines the structure etc. If I dress at home it's heels all the way I have a few pairs 5" and 4". 4's I can manage quite well but the 5's are a new ball game lol. But saying that being in the closet and only ventured out a couple of times I would not wear them out (Yet) I'm in the camp of looking to blend and be obscure until I build up confidence. I have flat ankle boots that look good with a skirt or dress and currently looking at some pink trainers. If I was to go out in a group that were wearing heels then I would so want to wear them for sure. Safety in numbers I guess.

Unfortunately these days even if a cis wears heels as normal attire attract the looks (I know I always look esp as soon as you hear the sound) and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that type of exposure

This thread is getting off topic.
    Please keep responses in line with the OP.

Platinum Member
    I hardly ever see a women wearing Heels in Walmart,
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Monica,

I have to agree with your observation and while trainers seem to be the choice of many especially the young, as with most things the exception proves the rule.

During the daytime say grocery shopping, women in a low block or kitten heel will still be found but higher heels will usually be the preserve of an office worker out to buy a sandwich.

There again, many office workers will commute in flats and switch to more formal heels once at work.

This topic does of course bring us back to that old reoccurring topic of blending. We need to be aware of those around us if as so many of us seek to when out, hide in plain sight. Full on glam to buy a bag of frozen peas will help get you noticed.

Your observation while correct doesn't of course mean heels are dead. Look at any online fashion website and there's heels a plenty, same for shoe shops. It's a horses for courses, time of day and place thing. Women quite naturally want to be comfortable when out doing the daily tasks and who are we to criticise. I for one am happy to emulate.

Platinum Member
    Looking back in the women in my own life, and that is looking back over many decades, heels were mostly reserved for dressier occasions and in more formal office settings.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I work in an office with ten female secretaries. I have only ever seen one of them wear heels and she is a former model. Even then she only wears them on a rare occasion.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Well in my neck of the woods I can catch two sometimes three women in true high heels. Like they are stopping on their way home from work at the grocery store. When I hear them it's like I get all excited to try and look without looking...lol. For the most part flats and boots.

I prefer to wear heels when I venture out. A three inch classic pump is my go to. Don't want to be to tall as I am 5'9. I find them ever so easy to walk in. One foot in front of the other. Or as best I can.

I remember when I was younger and would go to work with my father doing deliveries. I couldn't wait until we had to go into the offices to get his bill signed. All the women were dressed in dresses and heels and always remember catching a glimps of slip. That is the difference why women don't wear heels because the dress code has changed to more comfortable wear. I barely see women wearing skirts unless maybe a law firm. My wife will wear her heels and will bring a pair of flats that she will change into after dinner. It's so sad and thanks Monaca to bring it to light.

I love heels, but they're a killer to wear all day long. Sometimes the event makes it worth the discomfort, though!
    Life is too short to wear ugly panties!

Yes, the office went too casual and they instituted a dress code.

Then they hired a girl who decided to be fully out and move to a brand new city to start over.
    She wears heels, makeup, dresses, and jewelry every day!
    When she came aboard I started seeing more women wearing dresses to work. Which I could see from fifty feet.
    Before it was just for special meetings.

Marion

Quote Originally Posted by Debs View Post
    Sorry flats do nothing for my feeling of being a girl, its got to be heels with the clicks, even kitten heels do it for me, flats to me do not make you walk like a woman.
    Lucky CIS women don't need shoes that deform their feet, to feel or walk 'like a woman'; while WE need every bit that we can get!
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

That is especially true in our area as it is quite rural. It's rare that I see a woman in heels unless it's in an office setting and even then it's rare.
    Most have opted for comfort over style and it's understandable, particularly following all the Covid lockdowns.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Kimdl93 nailed it.

Women typically reserve heels for a dressy occasion. Not for most work environments, not for the mall, not for the grocery store, or especially not the airport!

Wear whatever you like. Blend if you like. But I seriously doubt if women will go back to wearing heels just because someone else thinks they should.

Just like so many other things, It varies with the outfit and the situation.

I used to chuckle at women that would come in the door wearing sneakers, stop and put their heels on to get to their office and then switch back to the sneakers for running around the office unless it was to a meting with higher management or customers.

Now that I own more heels that I will ever wear, I totally understand.
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Banned Read only
    Shelby's experiences or observations are in-line with my observations when I was still working in the downtown business district. Many women, who still wore dresses at work, would carry their heels in a tote and change out of athletic wear. The business district was at the bottom of a rather steep hill. Negotiating that hill climb was brutal. It makes total sense to not wear classic heels unless the occasion warrants dressing to the nines. Also, walking around on outside concrete sidewalks and walkways is brutal on heels. Also, many heels are not supportive of maintaining good feet. I also believe societal expectations have been changed by women who do not want to get bad back issues.

Totally agree. I believe one could add hose and skirts and dresses to the list of MIA?s. In our rural area, most of what?s seen are jeans, yoga tights a tee shirt, flats, sandals?no makeup.

I have seen some really cool footwear on women in the clubs I have been to with way higher heels or platforms than I could ever attempt to wear. Where you will not see them is the grocery store, etc. There has to be a reason to put them on and to me shopping is not one of them. That is where utility or comfort is more important.
    I have discussed shoes a number of times with GGs in the clubs. Just because they may not be wearing them at the time, does not mean they do not like other shoes. When I told several that I like Jessica Simpson shoes, one said she loves, loves, loves them, even though she was wearing sneakers at the time. I am sure my feet hurt more than hers after we were finished dancing that night ; )

Sandi