Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics - Too Pretty?

Pics - Too Pretty?

I've been around the block a time or two. That's no brag, that's a lament. Picture-wise I started with a Polaroid (the only camera we had) when I was a teenager. I got my first 35mm SLR when I was 20 and upgraded for the next 20 or so years until I got my first digital. I'm not into taking or posting pics of myself anymore (another story), but the point is I've done a lot, including a Glamour Shots in about 1980. In all that, nothing that approaches what I see commonly online today.

What I haven't ever done is FaceApp or any of those enhancements, so I could be easily fooled. I'm not going to talk about any of the pics on this site to avoid singling anybody out or leaving somebody out. I'm talking about Reddit, and I'm sure there are lots of other cd picture sites. I cannot believe the pageant queen beauty of so many girls on those sites! It is shocking to me, and I don't say that lightly. I often come away wondering if it's a ruse. Somebody (many somebodys) posting pics of beautiful girls and claiming that it's them, or using some kind of computer enhancement to erase imperfections and add, well, perfections. My first (and many later) photos are not in my possession, but I remember some of them, particularly the very first ones. Even the ones where my wife did my hair and makeup... horrible, really. These girls have incredibly feminine bodies, in most cases no trace of beard shadow, they have beautiful clothes and know how to wear them and how to pose. I find it all incredible, maybe unbelievable, and sometimes depressing.

I'm curious what everybody's take is on this. You who are tech-savvy might explain. Have we experiences some kind of incredibly fast evolution to where boys today are prettier than most of the girls from a generation or two ago?

I was curious and used mtf gender swap filter on headshot I used at work - I was impressed at the results but I would rather keep working on my makeup skills to try to look better in real life (perhaps only a dream - part of why I do not post pictures of my fem self here - but I sure admire the people do post pic here they look great)

It is part of our culture. Magazine covers have always been altered. Before Photoshop artists used airbrushes to make women look better.
    Movie stars have dental work to look better. I'm sure a lot of them wish they didn't since those old veneers weren't as good as their original teeth.
    But, it is part of the job of being a movie star. Taylor Swift has been very vocal about the unrealistic demands placed on GGs.
    She has the advantage of being rich and powerful. She literally has an army of Swifties to protect her. But not when she was starting out.

Hi Rhonda I agree many pictures look amazing and can make you feel inadequate but many are computer generated and completely fake. I personally don't see the point in doing that as its then not even a picture of yourself. My pics are of me with no computer manipulations just help from my wonderful wife and continuous practice, yes we all like to think we look amazing but we have to accept we're never going to be gorgeous. I once printed out some amazing photos using Faceapp and my wife threw them away saying 'it's not you' so back to practicing.

Platinum Member
    Hi Rhonda , I have often thought about some of those pictures,

Hi Amy , Your pictures are always very Beautiful,

>>>>>>>>>>>Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

New Member from Scotland paulinescotlandcd's Avatar
    I would have to say i do agree with you that you are right to be just a tad cynical. I am the same age as you and followed the same timeline photography wise. Up until a few years ago i used to post photographs online on Flickr but i had to stop due to a change at home. Anyway, i have tried Face app a few times and they were fun but not real. At most all i did on my Flickr photographs was to just lighten then up due to the flash on the camera not being too good. Waht you see on my Flickr photographs are the results of my fantastic makeup skills and nice dresses to distract the viewer...lol. At the end of the day i suppose you can't blame people for trying to look as best they can but in the final analysis I reckon i can spot those people who post pictures where they look frankly incredible. I just take it all with a large pinch of salt and chuckle

I see them on Instagram, too. Some are up front and some aren't. As for FaceApp, Check my avatar or profile to see what it says I would look. I just wish...
    Last edited by ShelbyDawn; 05-09-2023 at 10:43 AM.
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Face App here HAS to be acknowledged in the thread .

https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...76395-Face-App

Other side from a member

Just my two cents from a partner of a CD that loved taking pictures and videos .

I know you were not accusing anyone here but people used to and it was hurtful to her .
    I would point out to said people HELLO look at her music videos..we are not Disney studios this is her singing, dancing and no difference from her pictures. One thing she did have was killer makeup skills- as before we met and while she used to be married she locked her in the bathroom for hours learning everything- the results from years of doing that her girl face transformed.( contour, beard cover ,brows, shading, her eyes - things to make a male face female)
    We had a durn cell phone and that is it. She was 5 ft 7 and very fit, had her fantastic makeup skills ( makeup on GGs and CDs is not the same ( hiding the guy)
    We had no fancy equipment and certainly no face app and do not think that was around then.
    Just wanted to give the side from a wife and her photographer.
    Guess this reminded me of unfair accusations in the past.
    Nothing you said .
    Also
    I have met many CDs with my partner at events and not calling them out but most look just as fabulous in person.

Mod Hat on

ADD
    Please no pictures in this thread, we are trying to keep picture threads in the gallery and the OP did not post one or ask for pictures. Thanks
    Last edited by Di; 05-09-2023 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Add mod note
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I unappologetically wear masks. As someone who never thot to dress before age 50, I never had the chance to present fem when I was young!

I don't use any face apps or Photoshop my pics. When I mask I look like my photos in person. I like looking good! And, think any other trans who wants to should be able to without criticism!

I have entered a couple of those online photo contests on a lark. I once won 3rd in the, "Super cougar", catagory for dressers over 65!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I agree that lots of people like to do what they can to look better in photographs. I have no problem with that, because at least on these forum, they are upfront about using FaceApp. I tried it a couple weeks ago. I was kind of impressed with what it did to my picture but have no plans to use it any more. What you see in my avatar and profile pic is what I looked like in Mar at the Girls Nighrt Out in OKC after having a professional makeup artist do my makeup. I wish I could look that good doing it myself. I understand it's gong to take time and practice and time is something I have plenty of since I retired last Jul after my wife passed away.
    The Pink Fog will be with you, always!

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    I think it waters down the unaltered pics. I usually assume some amount of alteration or filter.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I have not been questioned about altering my own appearances via apps and etc. I guess my makeup skills and feminine appearance are not worthy of it. However, I have had emails from folks accusing me of cropping and layering myself into the pictures of some of the interesting backgrounds. My running joke with my partner Vanessa and close friend Mutt while we are somewhere awesome is a statement by one of those emails - “get real, no crossdressers will go there”.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    The only things I have ever done to alter my pictures was to erase an "inconvenient" mole or replace a missing tooth.---- But I have fixed both of those problems long ago in RL. Part of the whole FUN of this CD thing is to display our artistic talents and take PRIDE in our ability to use makeup and clothing to show what we would look like as women. How can you take pride in faking it with Photo shop? And why should we have to compete with those who USE extensive computer enhancement? Still, I am OK with it and various filters so long as we are told.

I think that altering photos with filters has been normalised for quite a while now, so it's definitely likely that some are altered.
    However, there are certainly some young people who do just look that good!
    And I think it's much easier to learn makeup skills and to share online than it used to be - and remember that you are only seeing their very best picture!

Banned Read only
    90% of what you see on Reddit is fake. There are telltale signs if you know what to look for.

Platinum Member
    My take is that too many people (of all genders and ages) seek validation through social media sites, and its common for them to embellish their appearance in order to garner more likes or whatever. Its unhealthy.

I know its tempting to employ various gimmicks, in particular FaceApp, to present a more appealing image. I have not attempted this. In the end I would ask what is the point? If I manipulated image, I know its not me and I know that when I face the real world that flattering image remains nothing but pixels.

I think its pretty (sadly) obvious that, other than extracting the backgrounds ocassionally, my images are not retouched in any manner.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 05-09-2023 at 04:09 PM.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Whenever I think I look great in the mirror, and then take a picture, I wonder ?what the hell happened!?? so I guess some people understand lighting and posing to get a good shot. Think of all the hundreds of pictures are taken, to get that one good one to put on social media. And then on top of that, the apps and programs than alter things too.

Or course, make up is essentially what was created to change appearance before computers.

we can just enjoy the process when on our own and the hope we look as good as possible when out. *shrug*
    Jessica BF

Sense I was very young I loved to dress up and pretend I was a girl, I feel FaceApp is just an extension of that. I know I'm pretending to be a girl(woman)and I know my FaceApp profile photo is pretend also.
    That said never thought it mattered to anyone but me.
    I realize this thread is not about me but it's opened my eyes to the fact that FaceApp altered photos can have a negative effect on others.
    As soon as I figure out how to do it I will add "It's a
    FaceApp photo" to my profile photo. Have a great day Ladies!
    Last edited by Amanda James; 05-10-2023 at 12:07 PM.
    Please Call Me Mandy

Understand a few things. First, many pictures may not be of the person claiming them. Next, know the pictures can easily be altered/enhanced by someone who knows what programs to use and how to use them. Finally, remember if a person has the money to hire makeup artists, most any donkey can be made to look like a thoroughbred. I never compare myself to others as I know I'm just an old man trying to enjoy his feminine side as much as possible.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

I wish I were tech savvy and knew how to use FaceApp. I would have saved a fortune in makeup!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    We had no fancy equipment and certainly no face app and do not think that was around then.
    Just wanted to give the side from a wife and her photographer.
    Guess this reminded me of unfair accusations in the past.
    Well, since you brought her up I'm not going to miss the opportunity to talk about Sher. I think I can follow the rules and keep it more or less on the original topic.

When I joined this forum in 2006 the whole world was a very different place for us. For those of you who weren't around, Sher is THE legend around here. She didn't need computer enhancement and she didn't need to embellish her story. Her beauty and her story are what others are embellished to even resemble. To be as hot as Sher and be married to someone who truly celebrates and encourages feminine beauty boundlessly, that, my friends, is hitting the lottery! Sher and Di invented honesty and openness. In fairness (in a self-serving way) I must point out that it must be easy to be open and honest with a wife who as enthralled with your femininity and beauty as Di was with Sher! I was in an accepting marriage at the time, but not THAT accepting. I could only dream! I think that's called ENVY!

Oh yea. The topic. FaceApp and the like aside, everybody is a photographer now. I remember quite well setting up an SLR in a hotel room on a tripod with a bulb shutter release or a timer and having the film processed, knowing that people saw my pics before I did. 24 pictures was a lot. Film and processing was expensive, not to mention that even the expensive equipment was archaic compared to today's cell phone camera. My pics from when I was 15 or 25 or 45... yes, that's it! Bad equipment!

No. The difference between Sher's pics and mine (aside from the basic fact that Sher was just prettier than me) is that mine were taken in lonely cheap hotel room and Sher's were taken by someone who loved her. There's no app for that.

We are about the same age and I have to admit as I look in mirror, I see an older and older person. I can not do anything about that other than to do the best I can do with what I have to work with.

There will always be prettier CDs out there, so I do not spend a lot of time lamenting over it. But I do wish the aging clock would stop sometimes. Anyhow, it has not stopped me from getting out there and having some fun and pretending to be younger. Many will respond to a positive attitude better than even having the best of appearance.

Sandi

I've been told not too long ago by my GG friends that I could pass for someone in my 20s if I dyed my hair.
    Some of us have lucky genetics and don't age as fast as normal. I'm sure that some of it is wearing a wide brimmed hat to keep the sun off my face since the 1980s.

Marion

First off, I agree with Rhonda's comments about Sher. Such a lovely girl who was very fortunate to have Di at her side. As far as today's young ladies and their photos, I, too, wonder if some aren't passing a GG off. Or a GG isn't pranking us. Or if some technical wizardry hasn't been used. No matter what, there are some gorgeous girls on the internet, including this site. Fact is that I do get a little envious. However, I realize some of those charms have left the building as I get older.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

I have no doubt that ALOT of the pictures we see are heavily Photoshopped/FaceApped, or are actually of GG's. I will never understand the need/desire to perpetrate such falsehoods, but it is clearly common. Mind you, I'm not against people indulging in their fantasies, as long as they are honest about it.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".