Thread: Blending

Blending

A few observations from my en-femme shopping trips a few days ago and last Sunday.

I try to dress like the other women my age out shopping so I can blend. Although my clothing probably is at the nicer end of the spectrum of retired women at the store. I wear enough makeup to somewhat distract from male facial features, and appear more feminine without over-doing it. My goal is to operate under the radar, hoping to pass, but wanting to at least blend. V-neck lavender t-shirt, capris and flip flops with toenails painted to match the t-shirt. I move about with confidence (Kandi-s wonderful advice) and try to blend in.

So how did I do? As I opened the door to Panera, there was a guy approaching the door with his arms full of bags and drinks. I politely held the door that I had opened so he could pass through. He absolutely refused to come through the door being held by me. I take this as at least blending, if not passing. The preschool girl in the next booth was bored with sitting there while her mom and grandma talked so she started playing peekaboo over the seat back with me. Her mom stuck her head over the seatback to apologize for her daughter, and I told her not to worry about it, it was not a problem. No reaction from her.

At the grocery, in the self-checkout lane. I called the attendant over twice to correct a price that didn't match the shelf tag. So I talked with him at least twice, in my best nasal feminine voice with some lilt in my speech, my usual feminine voice. After some talking back and forth, and after he corrected the price, I said thank you. He responded with "I have to take care of my girlfriend". I like to think that even with talking, I passed there.

On my shopping trip on Sunday (Mother's Day in the US), I was overwhelmed with wishes for a happy mother's day from cashiers, other shoppers etc. I don't think that I ever hear happy father's day that often on Father's day when I'm in drab. I may have to pay better attention this year to see if that observation holds up.

-peace
    -Gracie

Isn't being assumed as a woman great!
    Putting the 'Fun' back in dysfunctional.

As I've gotten older, I've found that taking the time to blend in by wearing similar styles that other women are wearing - hardly no one gives a second glance. I don't recall the last time I've been misgendered, which is great considering that I'm a transwoman...lol!
    Life is too short to wear ugly panties!

Gracie Rose, I love your post and how you aim to blend. Sounds like you did an excellent job of blending in every one of those instances! Congrats!
    Crissy

Being just one of the girls is such a great feeling, isn't it?
    "Care about what other people think of you and you will always be their prisoner" - Lao Tzu

Banned Read only
    Always nice to read stories of acceptance. Thanks for sharing your day.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Years ago I was coming home from work and on the station platform where I got home to.
    There was a young girl waiting to go out to the city she was dressed for clubbing in a very short skirt I could just see all the eyes. Looking in her direction surrounded by people commuting?
    She definitely stood out if you dress like that you will too.
    You will get the attention and not know if it's for who you are or how you are dressed if you don't want that scrutiny then dress. To blend in granted she will blend In where she's going this shows how much it makes a difference..

wow what a great post, sounds like you had many wonderful interactions.

Wonderful post and great success in your shopping trip. You must of come home on Cloud 9. Passable or Presentable really doesn't matter in this case. For the most part you were accepted as a woman. I suspect there were some doubters - there always are. But who cares; they kept their thoughts to themselves and that is a major step toward full acceptance.

I enjoyed the feeling of acceptance you shared in your post. It's more than just one outing - the people you encountered found they could interact politely with you as a woman and just leave it at that. Even someone simply observing the interaction might learn something. Thank you so much for this!

GracieRose , That is wonderful. I'm glad that you are blending in.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".