Thread: Should I audition

Should I audition

On Saturday I went to a music shop to get some new strings and maybe see if there was any new foot pedals. While I was waiting for the strings I was looking at a bulletin board of bands looking for musicians. I don't usually look at this because I'm not looking to play in a band but something caught my eye. "Ugly Brides looking for guitarist". I asked the guy at the counter if he knew anything about this band and it must be a girls band with that name. He really didn't know much besides there a heavy metal band with a girl singer and the band dresses as brides or bridesmaids or something like that.
    I got home and I was curious and I called and a women's voice mail came and I left a message. A while ago she called me back apologizing she was on holidays and just got back. I asked about what type of band they were and that I got there number from the music shop and I couldn't find them on Instagram or anywhere. She explained they are a local hard rock heavy metal band that plays mostly after hour clubs. Jokingly but curiosity I asked her if I audition do I need a brides dress or bridesmaids dress because I'm sure I could borrow my wife's and I'm sure my daughters have many bridesmaids dresses. She was really nice and she laughed, and I asked her what was that all about. She told me her brother is also in the band and the thyme came about because her mother works at a Thrift store and wedding boutiques and bridle stores would bring in there discontinued stock and her mother buys them for nothing and she alters them and sells them on the side. She told me that they were jamming and drinking and smoking one night and one of the members put on one of the dresses and they all thought it was funny and great idea and maybe something that would stand out. She then told me that I could understand why they are having a problem finding a second guitarist because not to many heavy metal guitarist are very thrilled about wearing a dress. I told her I just called because I was curious and I don't think they want a sixty year old playing with them, but she laughed and told me if I could make my guitar scream I could come with a walker. We laughed and she told me I have her number if I'm interested to jam with them.
    She seamed very nice but I don't think I'm going to but I believe it would be fun and I would fit in because I would make a ugly bride. Would anyone here go try out? I believe it would be exciting to play dressed.
    Last edited by Maria 60; 05-22-2023 at 09:14 PM.

Where's the harm? If you like the music, like the fun of it, then why not put on a wedding dress and go for it? Though, I think I'd go for the Klinger look (guy in a dress) rather than your best femme look.

What're you waiting for? Go! You have an opportunity to dress the way you want in public without anyone questioning your morals or sexuality.

Although, I'll have to say that I take my crossdressing too seriously to do that. I don't want to give people a chance to ridicule us, so, for example, if I were to dress en femme for Halloween, it would have to be as a woman dressing up as. . . whatever. . . , not just dressing as a woman.

Maria you could go audition and if you don't like the music say thanks but no thanks. No harm, no foul.
    The Pink Fog will be with you, always!

The problem is... I doubt if you would be expected to wear a dress at the audition. That would be kept until you had joined the band and were playing actual shows
    People try to put us down
    Just because we get around

I don't get it. Almost all of us would love to dress in public and if you ask here, who is going to say no or wait? Are you worried you can't make the instrument sing?, or Are you afraid of your brother and his like and what they would say. I can't imagine your SIL or wife saying no. Just pretend you have a desire to be on stage, and if it means wearing a dress, well your role models are like boy george, bowie and kiss. It's better to be remembered than to be forgotten.....

Sounds like it would be fun to play with them

Maria,

Why not? If it isn't for you once you've tried it fair enough but at least you won't be in the situation in years to come of thinking, " I wish I'd....."

Nothing to lose, much to be potential gained.

Just being true to myself Jolene Robertson's Avatar
    I agree with everyone else here, give it a try. Might be a lot of fun and who knows.

Maria, where's the harm in trying?
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Maria, I think u should ask your wife if u would like to do this? She'll know!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

The only definitive NO is not trying. Go for it girl.
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

If I could play guitar, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But save the dress wearing until after you win the audition and start performing with them.

I'm actually contemplating entering an amateur night vaudeville/drag show next week. If I only could remember the lyrics to the song I want to do....

Sounds like a great excuse to go out and buy a used wedding dress! Go for it!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

This seems like a no brainer. The clothes are the least of your worries, you already know you’d be fine wearing a dress at a gig. The real question is do you enjoy the music and fit in with the rest of the band. Worst case, things don’t work out and you go your separate ways. Best case you get to jam out and wear a dress.
    Rebecca Bas

Makes me wish I could play better.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Life should be fun. If you are almost retired and love to play, go for it and have a blast.

The retirement comment means you have the time to do this activity, not an age thing.

Gracious Colleague looking_good's Avatar
    ...But what if they want to play "Freebird?" I mean, there are limits...
    Simply an avid clothing enthusiast...

First thing that came to my mind, was 'Some Like it Hot', where two guys obviously in drag, join an all girl band. Looked like fun to me! Well, other than the part where they're being pursued by mobsters trying to kill them, anyway.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.