Thread: GG friend asked me to take her shopping

GG friend asked me to take her shopping

My wife and I are close friends with another couple. I am out to them as of maybe 6 months ago. The four of us have been out to a bar with me dressed. We have known them for 30 years.

The wife of the couple, while not masculine or butch, is definitely not a girly girl, and is on the plus-size end of things. My wife (who is not plus-sized) and I both shop at a local thrift store, with me sometimes dressed and sometimes not, and we have been telling the friend about our finds.

Last week she called me up and said "My birthday's coming up in a few weeks. For my birthday, I'd like you to take me shopping at [Thrift Store]". Of course I was thrilled. Bottom line -- she's picking me up Thursday morning to hit that store which is local, and another in a town about 15 miles away. She came over today and mentioned that she assumed I'd be dressed for the outing.

So now I have to decide whether to wear a black denim skirt, which I love, or black denim capris, which is, of course, the kind of thing most GGs will be wearing. I've got nice purple toenail polish to wear with my slightly heeled sandals, and a new (to me) green top that I got from that local store.

It sounds like fun. Have a great time. I suggest that you stop at a restaurant and treat her to lunch for her birthday.

Joan, That's wonderful. Enjoy your shopping trip.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Joan, u didn't mention whether or not this will be your first time out shopping dressed!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sherry,

There is a hint secretly hidden coded into the message ...

Joan: My wife (who is not plus-sized) and I both shop at a local thrift store, with me sometimes dressed and sometimes not, and we have been telling the friend about our finds.

A new gig for you - personal shopper - have a great time

I wouldn't' wear black in the late spring warmth ......just saying and enjoy day trip.
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

What a wonderful friend to ask you to go, I agree with Gracie Rose to include lunch. Let us know how it goes.
    Crissy

Um, not to be a wet blanket or anything - but did you get your wife's "OK" for a one-on-one shopping trip with another woman?
    My dear wife would slam the brakes on that idea, real quick.

Other than that - I hope you both find some treasures to bring home.

@SaraLin no problems with my wife. I could travel overnight with my GG friend, and neither her husband nor my wife would bat an eye.
    @Sherry I have indeed gone shopping dressed at many, many thrift stores, not to mention Ross, Target, TJMax, etc.
    @MBMeen12 I still see GGs wearing black pants even at this time of year. I'm pairing with a purple top and brown leather sandals. Maybe I'll look out for some white or khaki capris, though, now that you mention it.
    @GracieRose the birthday lunch might happen. I have been to nearby restaurants dressed, so that's not a new thing.
    Last edited by joanstickley1956; 05-24-2023 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Clarify

My motto is "Wear What You Want To Wear", so if you want to wear the skirt, wear the skirt. Nobody is going to care one way or the other.

Shopping with someone is a lot more fun. I've been out shopping with my GG friend Michelle maybe 10 times.

Enjoy, and feel honored that she asked you.
    I'm Sun-Dee at Kandi's Land; read about my outings here:

https://www.kandis-land.com/author/dee/

Always the skirt. Forget the capris

Well, I wore the capris. It turned out to be a wonderful day. My friend picked me up at 10 AM, and we headed to the first thrift store. She picked out several things to try, and sought my opinion on some. She mostly wears long pants, and almost never wears skirts or dresses, but after I said how comfortable I found skirts, she wanted to try them again. (She used to work as a tech writer in the 80s, when women were expected to wear skirts and hose to work). She ended up getting a dress, a nice blouse/skirt combo, and several tops. I got a blue top with an elephant and rhinestones, which sounds very Vegas, but it's actually very pretty. The volunteer in the store had a Tina Turner playlist going. I've been to this store many times, and it was fun to sort of show my friend the ropes.

Then we went to the next store, about 15 miles away in a small town. She again found quite a few things to try on. I found a sleeveless dress with a bolero jacket, but it was a bit too snug, darn it. I hung out in the dressing room area (a room with curtained-off cubicles for privacy), so I could offer my advice to her. Two different women asked me (and also my friend) our advice on a couple of things. That made feel very accepted. When it was time to check out, the middle-aged lady checking us out referred to us as "ladies", and referred to me as "she" when saying something to my friend about me. The lady was super friendly, and whether she read me and was just being nice, or not (surely she did), I really appreciated that. I found another short-sleeve top on their sale rack which was outside, and bought that for me. My friend bought several things, including another dress and a couple of tops.

My friend was super happy with her purchases. I think she spent a total of $75 for 2 dresses, a skirt, a nice button-up blouse, and 4 tops. I might be forgetting one or two things :-).

Then I wanted to take her to lunch, since this was a birthday outing (I did NOT buy her clothes), so I called my wife to suggest a place to go. We ended up at a nice little restaurant on the main drag of the smaller town. It was a beautiful day, so we sat outside and basically had a ladies' lunch. When I went in to use the facilities, the hostess specifically directed me to the ladies' room. She dropped me off at my place around 2 PM. When I went in, my wife said "Where's [FRIEND]? -- I wanted to see her haul", so I called my friend and she brought her purchases back to our house so my wife could see them.

All in all, it was a wonderful girls' day out. My friend said she had a great time, and we agreed that we should do it again from time to time.

To cap off what was already a great day, then my wife and I went out (with me still dressed) around 4:30 for early cocktails and had drinks and a couple of appetizers at a downtown bar we've been going to for many years. This was the first time I had gone there as Joan, though. No one, as usual, cared who I was or what I was wearing. I used the ladies' room there. We had a very nice time and afterwards walked up the street to an art and craft gallery -- just a couple of women enjoying life. Finally we walked back to the parking garage near the bar and headed home. I went into Target to buy a multi-pants hanger for my wife, and used the Target ladies' (too much iced tea all afternoon) without a problem. When I checked out, the young woman clerk admired my earrings, which were just silver hoops. I think she just wanted something nice to say, but I appreciated it.
    Last edited by joanstickley1956; 05-25-2023 at 08:57 PM. Reason: typo

Joan, What a wonderful day with your friend and then to continue on with your wife. I am sure you will be doing this again.
    Thanks for sharing
    Crissy

Joan, I'm glad your shopping trip went well and turned into an all day event.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Avatar: not me (I wish!) racquelr's Avatar
    Joan - I see you are in North Carolina. Good thing that your using the women's restroom is not longer a crime there.