Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Degrees of Transition, Honesty and Confessions

Degrees of Transition, Honesty and Confessions

When you think you have this all figured out, just give it a while.

I've thought about this for a long time. A recent post in the Loved Ones section where the husband said he was not interested in transition is the impetus to this thread.

I, too, said I'd never transition. Meant it. Still mean it. Transition to me meant hormones, surgeries, name change, and living the rest of my life completely as a woman. Now I think that to say "I'll never transition" with that being the bar is a bit disingenuous. Hear me out.

At the height of all this for me I had hair down to the middle of my back. I had been shaved all over for decades. I had very long natural nails (having had acrylics that were shorter). I had worn panties for decades. I was wearing a bra (no forms) every day in male mode. I incorporated a lot of mostly undetectable women's clothes into my daily wardrobe. I weighed 135#. I went out of town at least once a month to do my girl thing (often incorporated into work trips). I got my nails done every 6 weeks and got a polish change (cheaper than a full manicure even if you're not wearing polish) ever time I went out of town, and got my hair done more often than that. I got my brows waxed and tinted about every other month. I had a wardrobe probably 5X that of my wife, with everything ranging from hooker to debutante to Sunday School teacher and none of it was hidden. I had a ton of makeup and every type of hair appliance from curlers to curling irons and straighteners right there on the bathroom counter and underneath. I slept in a nightgown every night. I thought I had femininized my everyday appearance right up to the edge of not looking like a normal male anymore, but I'm sure I had passed that line. I had people (hairdressers, nail techs, SAs, makeup consultants that knew me only as a "female", others who knew me as "transitioning", and a couple who knew I was "only a crossdresser". Oh, no, I was not transitioning!!

Why in the world would I want to transition? If I fully transitioned, my girl side would inherit all the problems, trials and tribulations (and then some) of real life! I was, in a very real way, my own mistress. My mistress had no worries. No responsibilities, no family to be concerned about, no job, no bills, no household chores. What a life, right? My male side provided for all her wants and needs. She got a little mini vacation once a month. She indulged in all the salon experiences she loved. Hair, nails, facials, makeovers... and my male side paid for all of it. She was high maintenance. All she had to worry about was looking good, and that's all she wanted to worry about.

Still, I could honestly say I'm NOT transitioning. I'm sure the TS members here would agree because I stopped at the really difficult and painful part. My friends and co-workers probably thought I looked a little weird, but nobody thought I had transitioned. At the time I didn't think I was being dishonest, and technically I wasn't.

I used to give myself big pats on the back because I didn't hide anything, meaning I didn't hide any of my stuff. Really, I hid plenty. I hid the fact that there were quite a few people who knew me as Rhonda, that some of these thought I had already transitioned. Some of them thought I was dating men. Some of them thought I was completely out to everyone including work and family. I didn't talk about how I felt about being out and about as a woman and how accepted I was. I didn't talk about how thrilling it felt to wear the more daring things. I never talked about being approached by men, sometimes terrifying, sometimes butterflies. I didn't think it mattered, since I didn't do anything. I never told her about going to a support group meeting. I never told her about frequently getting my hair done during the week and washing it out before she got home. I never told her how much I loved just sitting under the drier with my hair in giant rollers or that my hairdresser was my confidant and a good friend. I never told her how it went straight to my core when a stranger called me ma'am, or when an SA asked me if I wanted to try on a dress

I was honest about what I'd done and where I'd been, if she asked (with a couple of notable exceptions). I was so proud of myself for being out in the open about it, but if half truths are half lies, I was a liar.

Most of this self-critical stuff I could only see in my rear view mirror. When I was so caught up in it, I could not see the forest for the trees.

I bet I'm not alone. I considered myself an honest person. Still do. But I carried around a shit ton of stuff that I just didn't divulge. There's more than this. A lot of what I carried (carry) around is more intensely personal, private, and embarrassing than what I let on. I didn't (don't) want to be dishonest, but I fear judgement. I still think I can be an honest person if I'm hitting the 90% mark. I know Miel and Diane will vehemently disagree. Surely everybody holds back something, don't they? It's just that mine has to do with this particular subject. So, I guess being honest about being dishonest isn't honesty.

Food for thought. YMMV.

Wow! There's a lot to think about in your post. I feel confident that lies are only significant if they are said to change another's mind about something that affects them. Everybody, to some degree or other, lies. It may be to protect another person's feelings. It may be to avoid an awkward or difficult conversation. It could be for any one of a thousand reasons. Often times people will claim another has lied to them by the act of omission. Does that mean we need, in order to be 100% honest, come out of the closet to everyone? No! There are things in our lives that simply are not the business of others. In my case, the only person affected by my CDing is my wife. With her, I truly do try to be 100% honest. At times, it takes me a bit longer to tell her something; but, I do tell her within a reasonable timeframe. Have I lied because I've not told my family or friends? No. My CDing has no effect on their lives in any way. I've also never shared the first thing about our (my wife and mine) sex life. It has no bearing on their lives. Some things are meant to be private. If someone were to ask me about our sex life, or asked if I had ever thought to CD, my reply would be simple and direct to the point - "I don't believe that is something I care to share with you."
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Everyone lies and all couples that remain together must eventually go thru the "tunnel of chaos" according to the preacher who married me and my ex.

If u haven't experienced that yet, Rhonda Jean, it's probably coming!

I find your post to be a good test. After reading it nearly everyone will more clearly understand if they r trans or simply a CD like I obviously am now. As I stopped worrying about most the things u mentioned many years ago.

All the best in your journey!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

If you don't want to live your life, the rest of your life, as a woman, then don't transition. You don't want to, and that's OK. Clothes, makeup, HRT, surgery... none of those things are "degrees of transition", so you're not being dishonest if you do any of those things and can't commit to living the rest of your life as a woman.
    My transition is in a holding pattern, mostly because of career and financial issues. I am fem >90% of the time, but it doesn't really help. I'm tired of pretending to be male. Every time I have to interact with a business, a doctor, anyone, using my dead name, I die a little. All the clothes, makeup and medical interventions in the world won't help with that. If you can get by at that level, count your blessings.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

For clarity, the peak of all this for me is WAY behind me. I'm not 10% of what I once was, trans-wise.

I'll throw out another little tidbit. I'm a better person for having done it to such an extent even if I never revealed any of it to anybody. I had my day and I'm glad I did. I've been out more in the last few months than I have in years. I still enjoy the anticipation of it. The actual going out is certainly not what it once was, but I'm coming along. Still, afterward I wonder if it was worth all the trouble. I'm working on that.

You did your thing and enjoyed it nothing wrong with that.
    Don't worry about not telling anyone about dressing because its none of their business.
    Trans ,CD whatever you want to call it there are no rules.
    I decided what was best for me was to go 24/7 365 and I am glad I did. Got the top surgery but don't plan on the bottom too risky in my case.
    99% of my friends have only known me as I am now so I don't have to explain anything, and I got tired of that long ago.
    Saying you are trans now is kind of a stain you can't get rid of because of the trans activist that start trouble.

Hi Rhonda,
    My first impression is that...I'm impressed by the amount of self-reflection. Good for you for being honest with yourself.
    Was it worth the trouble? I think so if it means you learned something about yourself. Sometimes we don't know until we try it.
    I hope you don't beat yourself up over this. We can't change our past, and we must live without ourselves for the rest of our lives. Forgive yourself.
    I hope you find peace.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - a valuable post

Throw this entry into your journal and as the adage goes, only thing in life is consistent, is change.
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

Gosh, I know just the insult to hurl at you: you're sane.

Sane in the sense that you know that even in 2023 people still judge harshly about gender transgressions and read into those transgressions all sorts of unrelated baggage.
    Such as "your trans because you're a leftist", your femininity is a mockery of a GG's femininity, this is mental illness, etc, etc.

The feelings that you, I, and hundreds (thousands?) here all share are intense and undeniable and didn't arise because we chose them. And this sense of being feminine even though biologically male occurs in all cultures and has all the hallmarks of a physiological condition that is present in X percentage of males (and is probably an inherited gene/s).

I too carry those same memories and desires that I am still unable to share with even my closest friends or lovers because as open minded as they claim to be, I've observed how harshly they can judge others that violate their personal norms.

There's no question that I can open up with and share the most with other transgender people like myself.

Be a little bit easy on yourself about not sharing everything with someone you love. You are a perceptive person, and you can accurately gauge how someone will react to something that is not part of their everyday world. We have enough friction in our lives as it is, and the opprobrium that someone close to you can throw at you isn't something you need.

You're trying to live your best life with desires that don't fit any of the playbooks we've been given. You're not being selfish.

You're sane (there's that insult again), and you're engaging life while making intimate connections and offering kindness to others. It is a huge effort with this weight upon us.

Rhonda, I think about my crossdressing all the time and where I would like to take it and who I am. What ifing ourselves is always a good thing.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Platinum Member
    So much to wrap my head around in the OP. It seems to me, by your actions, the lengths you went with your presentation of self, that you were pretty honest in the sense that actions speak loudly. There may have been a few omissions along the way, but nothing substantive. You came as close to transition as you felt you needed. You were yourself. Perhaps you were conflicted, but that is not dishonesty.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

What a beautiful post, Rhonda. In my view, the term "transition" is a very vague concept. Transitioning tends to be in the eyes of the beholder, including the eyes of the one who is transitioning. That throws a real big monkey wrench into the entire concept. We live in as society where gender is, for the most part, a binary concept and therefore we tend to think in terms of categories with clear boundaries whether those boundaries exist in Nature or not. Thus what constitutes transition is actually individualized, yet we deal with it as if it is some objective, well defined state of being.

However, gender, in fact, has little to do with a person's sex which is binary and far more to do with a person's concept of who they are and what their role(s) are in the social structure they live within. Thus gender becomes more a matter of behavior than appearance. But what behaviors constitute feminine or masculine? That is very difficult to define but is at the root of gender definition and "performance." It is some kind of an ideal that few ever actually fit, whatever their sex is.

I greatly appreciate your honesty and openness. I think it is a sign of a person who has a very mature and realistic view of their own gender identity and how it works in them. And then they live it to the extent they find possible in a society that is often not accepting of such a lack of clear definition as to what you are. I think such a state of being is what many of us are trying to achieve - a natural and comfortable blend of male-like and female-like behaviors that allows us to function in a flexible way within a society that tends to be far more polarized and focused on a concept of gender = sex and vice versa than we are or are attempting to be.

In that sense, transition is leaving behind the idealized male or female behavior patterns and embracing the blended patterns that allows us to deal with the world we encounter in a personalized fashion that avoids polarization. In the current state of our society, that can be viewed as a bit weird, but it is an example of the kind of behavior that allows for peaceful interaction on many different emotional levels that does not create polarization of opinion and attitude. You say, "I still think I can be an honest person if I'm hitting the 90% mark." Ya betcha and congratulations! That allows you to embrace the most honest you.

If you observe people you will find that somewhere in what they say or do you will get strong indications that they are simply adapting to what is considered fashionable and appropriate for the times and thereby constraining their individuality into social conformity which is so poisonous to individuality. Doing what is fashionable because it is fashionable is turning yourself into an automaton in a highly diverse world. Chimps don't even do that. I love your post.

RhondaJean, either I missed it but one thing seems to be absent from you description: identity. As far as I know, the only reason why one transitions to female is if one identifies as female. There are all shades of transitioning, and many degrees, but while you may do a lot of things a MtF trans person may do too (female hair styles, clothes, etc.), does that alone make you a trans person, I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Jean View Post
    I still think I can be an honest person if I'm hitting the 90% mark. I know Miel and Diane will vehemently disagree.
    Haha I didn't know Miel and I ran a cult of 100% transparency extremists. It's always funny and instructive to see the image you send back, because I thought that I never pressured people doing it, I just suggested they should think about it if they wanted a sane relationship and stop worrying about ticking bombs waiting to explode at the least convenient time. I know that many GGs in the Ask-A-GG threads explain that full honesty is the recommended way to go. I sure can't blame anyone for not sticking to the recommendation since I lied myself to my wife for no less than 36 years, and used to strongly believe in what I called "having a secret garden" that you may not necessarily want to share even with your soulmate. So I have some trust to restore and a lot to be forgiven, and to better my chances of success decided to follow the GGs advice and switch to 100% transparency, something I never believed I could do before coming out. In the process I eventually disclosed a lot of things to my wife (not necessarily related to CDing, like some unrelated sexual fantasies). Was it difficult? Yes. Some troubled my wife. But I think the gain was (is, will be) worth the price. I don't say everyone needs to do it, each situation is unique. But if you have trust to restore, I think the odds will look better if you stop keeping secrets. Again, I have trust to restore so I am biased in the matter.
    Note that I am only talking about transparency with your wife or SO, for the rest of the world that is a different talk.

On a more general level, and irrelevant to my lying and CDing etc., I also turned around about the "secret garden" topic after reading a lot of GG comments here (I basically rummaged through all the Ask-A-GG ones and then some). They made me realize one thing: when you keep your wife (or SO) in the dark, you are the one pulling the strings. You are deciding what is important to her and what isn't. You are somehow treating her like a non-grown up, in the sense that you decide what is best for her (which if we are honest often turns out to really be what is best for the CDer), what she needs or doesn't need to know (which by mere coincidence will generally fit the CDer's plans for having things his way). And, most importantly, you are taking away her free will by building a fictional world around her, one where her husband doesn't CD, or doesn't go out, or doesn't try to seduce males, etc. This, I would call the real "pink fog"... the alternate reality that a CDing husband shrouds his wife with. My wife, if she had known about the CDing when we met, or before we married, or when we decided to come back together after our breakup, could have chosen to not pursue her adventure with me. But I deceived her and trapped her in the process. After the reveal she decided to stay with me. But she will forever have this "what if" pending, and forever won't be able to answer what her life could have been if all the cards had been laid on the table. This will taint our relation durably.
    "So, I'm a crossdresser. Mmh. What's that thing, again?"

Considering telling your SO? Read this fine manual first: https://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?13841-How-to-tell-your-partner

Thanks for all the kind responses. I'd been kicking that around for a while and didn't know quite what to do with it. Keep in mind this question that we've all been asked. Are you going to transition? The quick answer is likely no, as was mine. I think maybe the question and the answer misses the point. I come back to what I've said many times. Telling someone you're a crossdresser really doesn't define anything. Likewise, telling someone you won't transition doesn't say how far you'd like to or plan to take it. I don't have an answer for that. I'm only pointing out the lack of clarity. By the same token, I don't think anybody early in their journey would think they're going to end up like I was and I don't think that many spouses would hang around if they knew that's where it was headed. I think it's in our nature (it certainly is mine) to always be reaching for that next rung on the ladder. Over a period of time you've climbed way up the ladder. In the spouse's case, you've heard the one about boiling a frog.

This is all fun and games until it's not. A lot of us have experienced the "not". I'm all thoughtful and mature now that it doesn't matter. When it did matter I probably would have skipped over a post like this from one of the "old ladies". I was preoccupied with the same shit that is repeated on this board ad nauseum, and frankly I'd rather be joining in on some of that now. I have no answers for anybody. I just keep coming up with more questions. I hope that boards like this and posts like this make coming along more thoughtful when it does count. This is a great resource that I didn't have until I was almost 50, and by that time I'd already made quite a mess of things, but had one hell of a time doing it. I promise you I thought I had more answers then than I do now.
    I'm no shrink, but I think it's important to take a reflective pause every now and then.

Stepping down (once again) from my soapbox.

PS. Another gazette for you, Diane!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Diane,
    I was writing my most recent post when you posted yours, so I didn't see yours until after I posted.

I'm (probably surprisingly) going to challenge the total honesty thing (at the almost 100% risk of drawing the ire of the GGs on this board who I love, including Miel). There's more to you and to me than the fact that we like to wear dresses. More important things, in my opinion. The real fear is that when one of us comes out, the only thing the wife sees is the dresses (using that as a convenient descriptor). Whatever you've done, no matter how good of a person, provider, husband, father, son, neighbor, employee, what-have-you you've been, it's entirely obscured by the dressing. You can never live it down, never outrun it, and it'll haunt your relationship forever, if there's a relationship left to haunt. There's the rub, and every one of us in a relationship knows it. As empathetic as I try to be, I do not understand how everything goes out the window over dressing up. Not holding myself up as an example here. I DO see how/why mine blew up, but that's kind of an extreme case.

Was your secret garden causing some kind of a problem beyond the fact that you felt guilty for having one? I think of myself as an honest person, but I've got a warehouse full of skeletons that keeps me from being totally forthcoming about everything to ANYBODY. There is not a single person on the planet that knows all my secrets. I've got some whoppers, and all of them center around this one subject. How I handled it, how far I took it, the lengths I went to feed it... you could make a pretty good case that that DID make me a bad person. For someone not so desperate and motivated, I don't thing so.

Rhonda in my case the main issue wasn't the "dress", it was, by and large, the lying. Of course the "dress" can be frightening for a wife. Is he gay? Will he transition? Will he abandon me? But a wife can handle this. The problem is when you add the lying. How can you believe a person that hid so much from you when you were so close to her, when she says "I won't transition. I won't leave you". You can't. And what was hard to swallow becomes an infinite distress. And you begin questioning all the rest, questioning all your life. What was real? What was illusion? Everything is tainted, your memories, your life, all stolen from you.
    Lying is the big issue. At any rate it was for my wife.

I don't think lying makes you a bad person. I just wanted to explain the consequences it had for my couple, consequences which I never anticipated. I don't think I am a bad person, but in retrospect I realize how much I wronged my wife. It's good to be aware of that. I feel guilty about it, but I also feel that acknowledging it was necessary for me (and for my wife) to advance in my life. I gave the red pill to my wife by coming out, but as it turned out I got one for me as well.

P.S. Thanks for the gazettes. We will certainly renew our subscription.
    Last edited by DianeT; 06-01-2023 at 03:02 PM.

I get that it was the lying, but it was the lying about crossdressing. I know I'm fighting a losing battle here. BTDT. I'm going to throw it out there anyway and run for cover.

If there's a more difficult truth to tell, I don't know what it'd be. Cutting through the BS here, I don't care if you (not you specifically) look like Pamela Anderson, you're still a guy, and as a guy there just can't be anything harder to admit to than this. Those questions that invariably get asked, you've asked yourself a thousand times. You were likely taught that this is an abomination, a perversion, sick. And if that's not bad enough it's also hysterically funny and embarrassing to the highest degree. You're likely ashamed, even though you tell yourself there's nothing to be ashamed about. You think of all the applicable taunts. Sissy, pansy, fag, tranny. You fear rejection, and you fear that after the rejection she'll tell every body she knows and everybody you know. You're afraid you'll get fired from your job and the story will follow you as you try to find another, and you can't move far enough away to get away from it. If you don't get fired, all your coworkers are going to know and you'll be an outcast. Your neighbors will find out and you'll be shunned. Your parents will find out, and all your old friends. The story will still be hanging around when you try to begin another relationship. When you eventually have kids the story will still be circulating and it'll get back to your kids and your kid's friends, then your kids will be the subject of taunts and humiliation.

Yet by about the third date if not sooner you're supposed to tell somebody "By the way, I'm a crossdresser!" Even if you did that, what does that tell them anyway? This is a minefield. So you didn't tell up front and you missed the deadline for "before getting serious". When you do tell do you get cut any slack because it's something so deeply personal, scary, and shameful that it took years to work up the courage and the trust so that you can finally tell something with such enormous risk?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I began experimenting with a few pieces of clothing just before my ex and I split up. During our divorce she threatened to expose me in court.

Where upon I told her if she did I would tell about all the times she cheated on me. Then, I ordered my attorney NOT to mention that in court. And, she asked me why not?

I never told her, for the reasons u explained so well, Rhonda Jean!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Lying to protect yourself, and not serve selfish interests is noble.

It's 1943, you have false papers for you and your family to travel from Berlin to Spain. The Berlin ticket agent asks "Are you a Jew?"
    Is it important to tell the truth to murderers, or protect your family.

Our stakes aren't as high, but they're real and the consequences painful.
    That's why I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who say it's about the lying when their reaction is exactly as predicted which is why the lying occurred in the first place.

RJ, you're now in a place where you can be your authentic self. Surround yourself with people who accept you. Avoid the people who are judgement of you. There is a lot of fun to be had with being feminine. Think about it: getting glammed up when you want to, being appreciated by someone who admires you, playing with different looks and finding one that fits, etc.
    Accentuate the positive.
    Just avoid getting involved with people you can't be honest with.

You'll be surprised how different it is to involved with someone who actually encourages you to be yourself.

Rhonda Jean; Oh My God! You put all of my fears to words. All I can say is thank you, somehow you know me/us better than I know myself. Thank you so much... Brenda

Rhonda said "Whatever you've done, no matter how good of a person, provider, husband, father, son, neighbor, employee, what-have-you you've been, it's entirely obscured by the dressing."
    While I agree with much of what you've said, I don't quite agree with that. At least not totally. 2 of my kids, and a few of their friends, know that I sometimes wear skirts and cami's. I think a couple of the young men who work for me suspect that I sometimes wear strange things, and I've had a few comments on my colorful socks and racerback tanks that I wear to work. But I'm a good boss and I tried to be a good dad, and they respect me for that. So other than a very few jokes now and then, which are carefully made low-key, I hear nothing. Now I know there are limits, if I were to show up at the construction site in a mini skirt, fishnets, and heels along with a filled C-cup, all bets would be off. But I do believe that if you've earned respect the people close to you will forgive a few oddities.

Not all, my mom would heave in disgust if she saw me in a tank with lace. But most.

For clarity, the "whatever you've done..." section was meant to be how a wife might see it obscured. People who aren't intimate with you like coworkers or even kids in some case, yea, you might overcome that. Being married to somebody raises the bar, as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Jean View Post
    But I carried around a shit ton of stuff that I just didn't divulge. There's more than this. A lot of what I carried (carry) around is more intensely personal, private, and embarrassing than what I let on. I didn't (don't) want to be dishonest, but I fear judgement. I still think I can be an honest person if I'm hitting the 90% mark. I know Miel and Diane will vehemently disagree. Surely everybody holds back something, don't they? It's just that mine has to do with this particular subject. So, I guess being honest about being dishonest isn't honesty.
    I know your story and I remember how devastated you felt after she left.

I just want to say that I've been in two relationships. In the first one, I kept some of myself hidden. But not in my current one, no matter how ashamed I am of myself sometimes - ashamed of my faults, ashamed of not measuring up to my own ideals. I know that he will accept me as I am and he loves me, perhaps not despite of who I am but BECAUSE I am who I am, warts and all.

And I cannot begin to explain the freedom and peace of mind this gives me. Full self-acceptance is a wonderful thing.
    Reine

Yep. Well... Thank you!

You bring up an important side effect of this thing we do. I, and I'm sure most of us, learn concealment at an early age. Not one person ever in my whole life has ever known EVERYTHING about me. It's a pattern of behavior that is very deeply ingrained in me. I can't imagine what the freedom must feel like to have that one person in your life who knows every nuance of you right down to your soul and loves you even more! My mother came close, but things (and I) were simpler then. My wife was close. Very close in the beginning, then as time went on there was more I just couldn't talk about.

When I was a kid there were things my mother allowed, but I'd ask her to not tell my dad. Sometimes she didn't. I certainly kept a lot of things from my friends, or everybody other than my mother, really. When my wife and I were dating, there were things I asked my mother not to tell her. She told her everything, and was a valuable confidant to my wife. Of course, nobody at work has ever known much about me at all. I've never had a friend who knew me on any kind of a deep level. The closest I've ever come to that was the lady who was my hairdresser for a long time. But, she knew more about "this" aspect of me but she didn't know where I worked or lived, etc.. It's not like she was coming over to the house. Even the people I was/am out to, I don't think any of them have ever seen me in male mode. Only a couple even know I have a male mode. The point is, I grew up being comfortable about lying about it, or at least not telling the whole truth, and that's always been acceptable to me. That being comfortable about lying doesn't extend to other parts of my life. It's just this part, but this is a big part. I don't even think of it as lying. Not telling is not the same as lying about it (to me). It's kind of a survival thing, and has been for my whole life.

I've said many times on here (back when I was married) "I don't hide anything!". To me, the fact that I didn't hide my clothes, makeup, etc. was "not hiding" which meant open and honest. She knew what I was doing (to an extent) when I went out of town. Not in any detail, although I would have told her (I think). I always kind of gave myself a pat on the back because I was just doing boring things. Not cheating or even looking to meet anybody at all was (and still is) the biggest thing to me. Still, there were a few times that I'm glad she didn't ask. I NEVER thought I was in a DADT, but in some ways I was. I bet there are very few of us (and not just "us") who don't hold back a little. It's kind of sad that there are people on this forum who know more about me (at least this part of me) than anybody else in my life.

I get really frustrated on here (and I'm apparently the only one) every time somebody says, "I came out as a crossdresser to my ____". I understand that that's a big deal, but it's the very pointed end of a huge cone, and probably (usually) just says "Now I'm going to start teaching you what I want you to know.". Pick the two of us on this forum who you think are the most alike. They're both crossdressers. That word, that one word, is exactly where the similarity ends. So, what does telling someone you're a crossdresser even say? It has the same value as saying "I like red", except you're not embarrassed to say you like red.

After decades of doing this in a pretty big way, my sense of what matters is pretty warped compared to someone just coming into this from either side. There are things that I don't think should even move the needle off zero, but I know that's the decades of doing it talking, and not reality for anybody else (even in my own relationships!). I know that before the needle has even moved for me, somebody else's has pegged out.

I was (and am, to a lesser extent now) selectively blind to a lot of things. There are some male mode pics of me from my distant past that show a pretty shocking degree of this selective blindness. I only have two of them in my possession now (that's another story), but I remember some others that I was pretty proud of at the time. I assure you that now they freak me out, in a "WTH was I thinking" kind of way. I think a lot of us are afflicted with this selective blindness, whether it's how well we think we pass or how thoroughly we hide this side of ourselves in male mode. I've got both.

I?ve always wondered if all my real life problems were sparked by me not living my exact truth. Maybe I was born in the wrong body. Maybe if I were different then I?d be more confident and be able to express my emotions better than I do now. Maybe?