Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ratted out by Alexa

My wife loved Alexa but I told her as long as she knows we are never alone and she always listening. Well she changed her mind and off it went.
    Amazon got me a few times off guard, my daughter asked if she could order from my Prime account to get free shipping and there it came. Wigs, pantyhose, and my daughters are so observeing they catch a hair out of place. I once put a pantyhose wrapper in the garbage and they asked my about it because they know my wife never wears them and even seeing a colour lipstick out and questions that my wife doesn't wear that colour.
    As she was ordering her stuff she didn't say anything but I'm sure her mind was buzzing about what the hell is her dad shopping for but she didn't say anything. Maybe better if you don't know it won't hurt you situation.
    I have vented about technology numerous times here and FaceTime I took my biggest hit when my sister in law caught me in the back ground. Now a days you have to be careful even having a conversation with someone because they can be videotaping or voice recording on ther cell phones. There's just no privacy anymore

All of these "close calls" are the exact reason I refuse to use things that can use Alexa or Siri, and I'm positive my phone is "listening" too, based on what pops up in my Facebook feed when I have it nearby. It's very, very eerie! Just think of what else might be known about you. I know its tough not to leave any kind of electronic footprint, but I strive to minimize it as much as I can!

Unfortunately it’s not just the little speakers so many have invited into our homes. I do not ever get any ads for men’s clothes. Not in an email, not by text and not as an ad that pops up when checking the weather. How about the emails that ask if you would like to rate that dress you just bought. Or my favorite, the email that reminds you that you just looked at these really cute tops and surely you want one, right? My wife doesn’t have enough birthdays to use as an excuse why I was looking.

It’s long past just being the guy who knows what a tea length dress is.

Oh the wonders of modern technology!

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Yup, Alexa is attached only to wife's account.

Just recently, I was all excited to email some vital information to my wife.
    We were sitting on the couch and she mentioned she had an email from Carla Westin, whoever that was.
    Since the info was specific to a personal condition, I was stone cold busted.

"Uh, that's one of my nomme de plurs."

Unimpressed, she didn't mention it for the absolute perfect pause and then said,

"Big girl too?" (gmail address)

At least I got the whatever/uninterested response.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!