Thread: Road trip report

Road trip report

I made another trip from Northern Virginia down to SC yesterday to visit my mother, who is now in a nursing home. My wife noticed me taking one of my purses as I packed the car and made a comment that they'd shoot me if I carried it in SC. I didn't mention that I'd only carry a feminine looking purse while dressed as a woman, and even though she knows I dress, I don't believe she's caught on yet that I am fine traveling en femme. (Yes, I know we should talk about it, but she is extremely risk-averse -- and I am pretty risk-averse myself).

Lunch was at a taco place in a Richmond suburb. No one said nothin'. The young woman who took my order was also named Nancy, and that made me happy. There were various other stops for coffee and bathroom breaks, of course.

When I make solo trips to/from my Mom's, I like to stop and visit places my wife has no interest in -- frequently Civil War battlefields. My objective on this trip was a museum at a canal in NC. I got there an hour before closing time, and there was only one car in the parking lot. In my calculus, that meant that I was more likely to be noticed, but I hiked up my skort and forged ahead. Sure enough, the docent was a talker, and she wanted to know my name and where i was from for their lightly used guest register. I told her. Well, she comes up to the town next to mine all the time. And we talked and talked -- and my voice held. I use the bottom part of my falsetto cords and try to put more inflection into my words, but I have never, ever managed to hold it together for a conversation like that. In the end, I am convinced that she believed I was a cisgender woman. What a boost to my self-confidence.

Dinner was in Fayetteville, home of Fort Bragg. I wanted a sit-down dinner, and I Googled "LGBTQ-friendly restaurants". I selected one downtown that my wife and I had visited for lunch a few years ago. In that block, there were quite a few shops and restaurants flying rainbow flags, and there was a small group of people across the street waving signs referencing some verse(s) in the Psalms. They waved as I drove by, and I ignored them; however, I resolved that dammit, I was going to eat in a restaurant with a rainbow flag -- on the patio so they could see that I, an apparently cisgender woman wth gray hair, was comfortable mingling with the LGBTQ crowd. But the restaurant was so busy that the only place I could get a seat was indoors at the bar. The bartender may have made me, but neither of us cared. I enjoyed myself immensely -- and I only had one beer with my meal.

I'm staying alone in my mother's house all week, but I don't really have an opportunity to dress up, because I'm not out to my siblings, and we have security cameras outside. But that's OK, I will enjoy my trip home.

For those wondering about my mom, I visited her today, and about all I can say is that dementia sucks. Her situation is about the best it can be at present, but nearly everything about her is gone. The only blessing is that she no longer realizes it is happening.
    Nancy
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life that you love, you have to find the courage to live it." -- John Irving

Sorry about your mom - but it sounds like you are having a good road trip

Just being true to myself Jolene Robertson's Avatar
    Sounds like the trip is going as good as it can under the circumstances. Sorry to hear about your mother, enjoy what time you can with her.

Hugs
    Jolene

Platinum Member
    Sorry about your mother. Dementia is hard the individual and the family. I am glad you were able to make something good out of an otherwise difficult trip.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    Sorry to hear about your mother. Dementia transfers 100% of the suffering to loved ones, which is such a mixed bag.

Nancy glad to hear you enjoyed your road trip down to South Carolina. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Hopefully you will have an snjoyable road trip back home.
    The Pink Fog will be with you, always!

Nancy, I'm very sorry about your mom's condition. I'm glad that you had the opportunity to dress on the road.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".