Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can I expect when ?flying pretty??

What can I expect when ?flying pretty??

Hi everyone.
    I’m looking for advice on what I can expect from checking in, the TSA, boarding and things like that. For context, I haven’t done any legal transition. So, while I have done some medical transition, and at a glacial pace done, some social transitioning, I haven’t done anything to change legal documents.

It seems like I’ve seen some people here talk about flying while in femme but is that really possible? I mean if I show up to the boarding gate or where they make you take your shoes off and check your bag and I look very much like a woman, but they see a boarding pass or whatever else they need with a guy’s name, what will happen?
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

https://kimberlyhuddle.blogspot.com/...ly-pretty.html

Kim used to be an active member here and she's probably logged more "pretty" miles than anybody. No way I would have ever done it. Not on my best day. I can tell you that silicone inserts will get your carryon checked.

I had no problems, Wren! I had my forms on an no problems! Oh, they did confiscate my Creole mustard! Passengers were even polite! Have fun and enjoy! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

The few times I flew pretty I changed after TSA screening and before boarding the plane. No problems.

Wren, this is from the TSA web site: Does TSA check gender?
    TSA is committed to ensuring all travelers are treated with respect and dignity. Screening is conducted without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender, gender identity, national origin, religion, or disability.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

As a male wearing a bra (no forms) I did get a little pat down on the my back to see what was there. That was it for me.

If the scanner detects things that don't match the gender you are presenting, you may be selected for additional scrutiny. Usually, that means getting wanded and/or a pat down. Know this and expect it. Relax. TSA workers are trained to recognize anxiety, which might trigger actions that will prolong your journey through the "security theater" that is pre-flight screening.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

When haters hate, I celebrate!

Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate it but maybe I didn’t spell out my situation clearly enough.

So I’m transgender and although I can still pull off looking like a guy, I would be checking bags, going through TSA checks and boarding looking essentially like a woman. (Photo for context). So it wouldn’t be a matter of looking like a guy and wearing a bra. By the way… big time respect to you Natalie for doing that. But I would not feel comfortable doing that. And I wouldn’t feel comfortable changing in a men’s restroom and then walking out in a summer dress looking like… well, like the picture below.

Thanks Kelly for the info. That’s really helpful.

But what happens when airport personnel (like when checking bags) ask for your ID and they see the name John Doe but are looking at someone who looks very much like Jane Doe. No… not even Jane Doe but someone so removed from the picture and name on the ID that the woman would be like… Agnieszka Jakubowski.
    IMG_9312.jpg

Short answer, you'll be fine.

Flown pretty three times, and my ID definitely did not match my appearance. Actually the last time the TSA agent did a double take when he looked at my ID so maybe I passed a little better that I thought.

Same with checking luggage.

I wrote about my last trip to North Carolina in the pictures folder, and my trip to Atlanta in May 2022. Have a read for more details.
    I'm Sun-Dee at Kandi's Land; read about my outings here:

https://www.kandis-land.com/author/dee/

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    No questions flying out of jfk NY to las Vegas and back.

I have flown pretty a couple times. The TSA people were great. Usually it's "have a nice flight.. next" although I got a comment from one that he like my new glasses. I also had an airline agent comment she liked my new hair style. Relax, have fun and enjoy the flight!!

Banned Read only
    Nobody cares. TSA people are just trying to get through another low-wage, dead-end shift without any planes falling out of the sky. Oh, regarding the ID, I dont look like my ID for a split second. But if you are a TSA person and hold up my ID next to my face for, say, fifteen seconds, I absolutely look like my ID photo. So will you.
    Last edited by MonicaPVD; 08-23-2023 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IamWren View Post
    But what happens when airport personnel (like when checking bags) ask for your ID and they see the name John Doe but are looking at someone who looks very much like Jane Doe. No… not even Jane Doe but someone so removed from the picture and name on the ID that the woman would be like… Agnieszka Jakubowski.
    IMG_9312.jpg
    Aside from a slightly longer process of comparing your face to the one in the picture, nothing. Again, just smile like you understand his/her confusion and that it's "old hat" to you. Relaxed and confident will put a quick end to any additional scrutiny.
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 08-24-2023 at 10:48 AM.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

I have flown pretty many times. Always enjoyable. Never any negative comments. Even been complimented several times by fight attendants on my eye make up. I posted this several years ago.

“I've flown PRETTY about 10 times. Started in HYBRID MODE to get a feel for it and also gave me confidence to know I could "un do" it mid flight if I lost my nerve (NEVER DID). Then I decided to go FULL FEMME. Have done this at least 4 times. Had plans to do this on a regular basis as I usually fly every 3 to 6 weeks, But COVID derailed my plans as I have not flown since March. I have not gone through TSA fully En Femme (only Hybrid) but was planning this for my April flights and beyond. In past I've changed after TSA. I use the PRIVATE FAMILY RESTROOMS available at all my airports…….. I have never been one to interact with other flyers as a guy or a girl. I like the peaceful 3-5 hours of rest, movies, and/or music. In the short interactions I have had I have never experienced any negative reaction and have actually received some positive comments on my jewelry and make-up.”
    Now I use CLEAR so it just scans your fingerprint or retina and go right through TSA no problem. Sometimes you will get the “secondary” wand scan (but I get that in guy mode also). If they ask me I just say im wearing a corset, bra, or what ever the scanner picks up. Never have any negative TSA COMMENT.
    DONT KNOW WHY BUT I FEEL REALLY FULFILLED WHEN I FLY COMPLETELY ENFEMME. Have fun and relax.
    Last edited by nikkid; 08-24-2023 at 05:00 AM.

I mean if I show up to the boarding gate or where they make you take your shoes off and check your bag and I look very much like a woman [...
    [Tons of irrelevant answers from people who apparently are suspected to not look damn good enough as a female]

But what happens when airport personnel (like when checking bags) ask for your ID and they see the name John Doe but are looking at someone who looks very much like Jane Doe.
    [More answers from members who didn't get the message...]

Thanks everyone.
    I really appreciate the responses. I hope to be flying out in the next couple of months to see some friends and one of them will be picking me and my wife up from the airport. She only has ever seen pictures of me as girl-Wren and I want to avoid her seeing me as dude-Wren.

Thanks again. This helps a lot.

Platinum Member
    I am sure the airport and flight will be a positive experience, and its great that you and your wife are making the extra effort to meet your friend in girl-Wren mode. FYI, I have a number of friends that only have met me in girl-mode and I hope always to keep it that way!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Think ahead. There is a chance that they will want to pat you down, and/or wand you. They may ask, "Do you want to be patted down by a man or a woman?" You might want to think through what you would be comfortable doing before you are put on the spot.
    I was dressed as a man in a skirt and the XRay flagged something very high on my right leg. I was wearing a panty girdle to hold my tuck. Who am I kidding? I was wearing it to hold in my old guy belly!
    Anyhow, I said "man" and an officer cupped the sides of my leg from mid-thigh up to the top of my leg. He (potentially accidentally) bumped my crotch. I didn't react. They thanked me and politely sent me on my way.
    I am a man who presents male and wears feminine clothes.
    I blog about my outings: https://joeypress.wordpress.com/

I, too, have flown pretty on a number of occasions. If you check my profile and "started threads," you'll see a couple of my reports which will answer many/most/all of your questions!
    Letting the girl in me out.
    More pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/165304654@N04/albums

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Boobs in my carry on in vegas prompted TSA to asy, "What show are you with, Hon?"
    TSA at Reagan in DC were complete assholes taking my forms out and testing each one for explosives.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Carla one can't be too careful with those exploding boobs! Were they in your bra or your carry on?

The first time I did this it was nerve wracking but ultimately, it went very smoothly for me. A couple of unexpected benefits. 1. I didn’t pack any boy clothes, so my only choice was female attire, there and back. 2. No boy clothes means more room in your luggage for girl clothes.

TSA had no issue with my male license and my female presentation. I do have TSA pre check, so I only had to go through the metal detector and not the body scanner.

I rode public transportation, light rail, to the airport while dressed. Got a compliment on my nails from the baggage check attendant. Nothin at all during TSA documentation check. I was wearing foam breast forms so my silicone breast forms did get double checked going through the x ray machine. Otherwise nobody gave me a 2nd glance. Well maybe they did, I don’t pass that well in real life, but nobody called me out.

Be aware of what you are wearing when you go through TSA. Slip off shoes are easier, don’t wear a lot of metal jewelry. Think about things like underwire in your bra, is it metal or plastic. Things like that.

Most of all just enjoy the experience. Don’t get in your head about who thinks what. What’s important is how you feel about it, so just savor the opportunity and have fun.
    Rebecca Bas

After seeing your pics, you really don't have a choice but to fly pretty!

I'd expect to run into my boss/friend/relative.

I have never tried enfemme, but would be interesting.
    so let's say if you get bumped up to first class and they call your name for the seat assignment - how do you handle it?
    anybody flown in first class enfemme