Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Are you shopping for you or your wife?"

"Are you shopping for you or your wife?"

"Yes."
    "Don't hate me just for wanting to feel beautiful."

Quote Originally Posted by DianeT View Post
    For example I can imagine a husband buying a pair of pantyhose for his wife, or lingerie (usually more to his taste than his wife's btw),
    Oddly, my wife worked in an office environment for decades and wore pantyhose daily. It was not unusual for her to go through a couple of pairs per week. I have always done the bulk of grocery shopping and there'd be 2 or 3 of the old L'eggs eggs in the basket when I checked out. I didn't dress back then (even though i did try on the pantyhose a couple of times and didn't get much out of it). It never bothered me in the least to pick them up for her.

She hasn't worn pantyhose in years and now I feel a bit self conscious buying them.

Also, for many Christmases in the past I have gone shopping for clothes for my wife. I finally gave up when my batting average for something she would actually wear fell below .010. I wonder if I shopped for her as a proxy for those things that fit my future taste. My femme taste didn't kick in until my mid fifties.
    Last edited by Bea_; 09-21-2023 at 08:14 AM.

A female cashier was trying to figure out where the previous person's purchases stopped and mine started. In a perfectly normal tone of voice she pointed at my Sheer Energy and asked "Are those yours?".

I said "Yes" without much thought because I knew what she was asking. About five seconds later I said "Well, they're not mine" and got a good laugh from the ladies.
    "Don't hate me just for wanting to feel beautiful."

Lisa, I had almost that same experience about thirty years ago except that the cashier was joking with a "Are those for you?" Without missing a beat, I sarcastically said. "Yeah". I have no idea whether she caught the sarcasm but I wasn't bothered at all with the exchange.

Now that I buy those type things for myself, I can't be sarcastic like that. Now I either have to lie, tell the truth or maybe just say "I'll never tell". It just gets complicateder and complicateder.
    Last edited by Bea_; 09-21-2023 at 08:50 AM.

Steph_CD_62,

You were correct, it was for your "GF"...you

Davina

"complicateder" Love it!!

About 10 years ago we were on vacation and went to buy her a coverup for the beach, we also found a dress that we both thought I'd look good in. At the check out the gal said something like "oh that's pretty" about the dress. So I said "Yes it is. Do you think it'll look good on me?" (with a smile so she'd think I was kidding). She laughed, thinking I was joking, and said "absolutely!"

Stepping out of the shadows.

I recently found a pair of embellished jeans for sale at a jewelry show I go to often

I picked out a pair of embellished jeans in Size L that I thought would fit me. I asked the SA if she thought these would fit. At first she was stunned by the question, thinking it was a joke. Then she looked at me and said, "I think you need the XL", and she went off to get them. Coming back she asked me quite pointedly, "Are these really for you?" I don't remember exactly what my response was, but it was probably something like, "Of course. I think that their very cute."

I had my measuring tape with me, like I always do, and measured both the L and the XL again. It looked like the XL were the correct Waist size, but the fabric had a lot of stretch and after stretching the L out, I determined that the L were the correct size.

I tried them on at home as soon as I got some alone time and the L fit perfectly with a nice little hug in the waist. What I didn't realize was how tight the ankle was on these skinny jeans, but it worked out just fine an it turned out to be a very sexy look.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I carry a tape measure when shopping, too. It's particularly helpful at the poundage stores, where there are no fitting rooms. Although today there was a YL trying on pants and skirts over her leggings -- I doubt that I could get away with that. The only thing I try on is shoes.

Today at the checkout the cashier remembered me and asked how my wife had liked the bras I'd bought the last time (our previous conversation was along the lines of "she tells me that she doesn't need any more, but I can't resist, they're so pretty!"). I told her that she hadn't seen them yet, because I like to wash everything first. Which is true.

A few weeks ago, I was waiting to check out with a pair of jeans and a couple under garments. It was a woman's store, so the jeans were definitely for women. An older man was up at the counter with his wife as she checked out. He looks back at me and says "Those won't fit you". I just responded "I think they will. I already tried them on". I don't think he was trying to be mean or anything. Just a talkative man trying to make conversation.

Many years ago at a large sports store, while checking out an one piece swimsuit, a young female cashier said nothing but had a big smile so I think she had this question in mind.
    Last edited by freeindress; 09-30-2023 at 04:26 PM.

When a salesperson says, "Who are you shopping for?" I think they are really probing to see if you are shopping for yourself without asking a question that might be offensive to a non-crossdresser.

My favorite experience was in a consignment store. I was holding a dress. The owner walked past me and whispered, "You can try that on if you want to." I whispered back, "I already did." That was the beginning of a nice friendship.
    I am a man who presents male and wears feminine clothes.
    I blog about my outings: https://joeypress.wordpress.com/

I love that you CHOSE to see the encounter as a positive one instead of taking offense. Life is so much easier when we do that.

Truth is, most people don't care, and despite the news, more are supporting than you might think.

I got caught by a sales lady one evening while browsing panties. "Those are very popular. The other men that I've sold them to really like the matching bra. Would you like to look at that, too?"
    Now that was a positive encounter.
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby