Thread: A CD in DC

A CD in DC

TL;DR: I had a great experience riding Amtrak dressed.

Last week I had to work Monday-Friday in Washington, DC. I had decided to take Amtrak, as my client was near Union Station, and besides, riding trains is fun. As the date got nearer, I decided to "ride pretty".

My wife dropped me off at the station in my city of Durham, NC. I wasn't checking bags, so it was just a matter of getting on the train with my rolling bag and my backpack. I was wearing a black denim skirt that came just below the knee with a bright pink sweater, My outfit was completed with gold (fake) hoop earrings and a gold necklace, plus black tights and black leather flats. My wife lent me a cute multicolored scarf that went well with my pink sweater.

I had an incident that in the past would have caused me to DIE with embarrassment when I first got on. When I reached up to put my rolling bag on the overhead luggage shelf, my skirt fell down to my knees. I just quickly pulled it back up got into my seat. There were people around, but no-one laughed or said anything. (When I got to the destination, I was careful to lean against a seat so it didn't happen again).

I had a window seat in business class, and for the first part of the trip, no one was sitting in the seat next to me. I went to the snack car a couple of times, and really didn't even get any funny looks. The credit card reader was a little complicated, and when it was my turn to pay on one of my visits, I repeated the instructions that the snack bar guy had given the two previous customers. He said "You actually listened" :-). Then, the gentleman of an older couple behind me (late 70s or early 80s, I'd guess) said "This lady will show me how to use my credit card", meaning me. I did, of course, and it made my day. I got "ma'am"ed by a conductor.

When I got to Union Station in Washington, I got a cab to the hotel, since I wasn't sure how the walk was. Cabbie and I made small talk, then I checked into the hotel. After freshening up a bit, I walked to a fast-food Korean place near the hotel for dinner.

I finished my work around 3:30 on Friday, so I went back to the hotel got shaved, cleaned up, put on makeup, etc. I dressed in a flowy mid-calf skirt and a dark blue long-sleeved top, again with black tights and my black flats. (I couldn't bring a lot of women's clothes since I needed 5 days' worth of work clothes as well. I walked to the King St. Oyster House, a few blocks from the hotel, where I had a nice dinner and chatted with a woman who was having dinner next to me with her male companion.

Then I walked to a Metro station and took the Metro to the Dupont Circle station. I went to a late-night place that my wife used to go in the 80s, when we lived in DC. I took the Metro home and had no issues the whole evening. There were some 20-something guys on the Metro, and one got up and offered me his seat. I told him I was fine, but it was a sweet offer.

Saturday AM I got up and got ready, wearing the same flowy skirt, but with a ribbed cotton sweater and a chunky necklace. I walked to Union Station (about 25 minutes), and got there about an hour or more before my train, so I got a latte and a scone. The seating area for the coffee shop was full, so I asked a young women if I could share her table, and she was fine with it.

This time I checked my larger bag, and then went to the waiting area. I used the very busy ladies' room. I boarded the train without any problems, and had an uneventful trip home. The train got to Durham about an hour late, and my daughter and non-binary grandkid picked me up.

The trip went so well that I think I would now consider flying pretty, which had always been a little scary before.

All in all, It was a crossdresser's fantasy trip, and I am grateful I was able to do it. I ticked off several bucket-list-type items: train travel, Metro, nice restaurant solo. Oh, the work went well, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joanstickley1956; 11-24-2023 at 08:06 AM.

Thanks for sharing the details of your trip - nice pictures of your outfits (you have a great family)

Platinum Member
    I am glad that, other than the skirt mishap, your trip went well.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Platinum Member
    Hi Joan , Looks like you blended in Perfectly.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

What a great read and well done on handling the small mishaps with grace.

What a confidence booster especially the positive interactions you had with other travellers and diners. I've travelled by train many times and always had an enjoyable experience.

A lovely read ... it put a smile on my face.

Joan, It sounds like a great time. I live in DC and it is a great place to be made comfortable enfemme.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Glad you didn't become the latest flash mob video LOL.
    I'm sure the reaction was more of sympathy than horror.

Board-Certified Shaman LaSirenaBella's Avatar
    What a lovely story. Let me know if you?re in Washington again. I live between Baltimore and Washington. If situation permits, let me know. Maybe we could meet up.

A great story Joan - gives me inspiration to try it myself for a trip coming up!
    www.flickr.com/people/194195593@N05/

Aspiring Member
    Jamie, I agree. DC is a good place for a CD to get out and about. I visit from time to time but since the virus arrived, my visits have become less frequent. The highlight of a recent visit was staying near DuPont Circle and attending Shakespeare Library performances twice en femme. I rode the city bus to the performances and took an Uber back. I had a great time. Though downtown DC is fun, most of my business trips recently have been between the DC Beltway and Baltimore. There are some great places to visit there also.