Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First public outing

My first time out was of all things, grocery shopping. I must have screamed man in a dress.
    The sunhat I wore I am sure just drove attention to me.

No pitchforks though. I got through it and I have done many other outings. Clothes shopping, movie theater, fast food take out are some. I have yet go in and sit down in a fancy restaurant, a bar or night club.

I need to get a hall pass so I can do a weekend in Palm Springs or Las Vegas.

My first time fully made up was in July. My wife and I drove up the local hills at night and parked up. During the day I have made 2 solo trips, both times going through the Macca's drive through. First time got a weird look from drive through attendant as I have to admit my eyebrows were a bit heavy.

Still looking to do an appropriate bar maybe in a different town

My first time out in public was in Sept 2017, almost exactly 2 1/2 months after my first time dressing in private. I went to Asheville to meet up with some other girls who I had met from on here. I went a day early and found out that another girl was coming in a day early also so we planned to go out to eat.. The other girl was just on the verge of going full time so she was way farther along than me. I'm thinking we would go to a discreet place for dinner... but no.. we go to a brewery then from there to a college bar in downtown Asheville. Scared me half to death... the next day we went to lunch then the mall where I got to sit in the big chair at the MAC counter and get my makeup done.. Great times...
    " I have to tell you, sweetheart, my breasts are as smooth and beautiful as the day that I bought them " Lola from Kinky Boots

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Tough for me to choose a specific first outing what counts and what sort of counts there was that time with a friend's girlfriend at her churches Halloween. Party and she helped dress me up but I never got the pictures. I don't know if that counts.😀
    Then there was a random time I drove into the city to a sleezy tranny bar. Sorry for the language that's the best way to describe it.
    I got hit on by some guy. walked away hit on again. walked away hit on again all by the same guy and I left and was back in the closet For a year.
    Then there was a better first outing so to speak. I found a local support group operating out of a private house. I showed up in drab to check it out. I was so welcomed I immediately wish I had brought clothes to change into but I didn't. I went back to the next meeting dressed. It grew from there.

Hello fellow Michigander. Love this state. I went to a life style event dressed. Had chatted with a few members and once a month the have a meet up at this total dive bar type club. But it was fun. I dressed to the nines and everyone was so nice and fun. Other dressers were there too. It was in the evening so it was dark yet still I had to go from the car to the door. Head down...heels pounding the pavement...directly to the door. Once inside all was great. Been several times. SO glad I got out and you will too.

My first outing en femme, in public, was just a short drive around my rural neighborhood. One road in particular was suddenly very busy, I had never see so much oncoming traffic in many years. I thought they could all see me, which was silly really when we were at a closing speed of 110mph. Anyway, the drive, in a dress, wig etc was uneventful and led me to plan my next trip out.

My first time stepping out of the vehicle and walking around was only a couple of years ago. I was fully dressed in my black dress and patterned tights, but wearing a covid mask (not clean shaven). I did wear a little eye makeup, though. I drove to a memorial monument located about 40 yards off a state hwy, but no other visitors. I got out, walked around it, took some pictures, and some on a timer of me. I felt bold enough to stop by another monument, situated in town, closer to a busier street and repeated the procedure. It was thrilling.
    www.flickr.com/people/196660660@N08/

I haven't attempted being in public for decades as I would get pegged from 10 miles out. Think NFL Linebacker in a dress. One of the few times I ventured out I was in my late teens or early twenties. I lived in an extremely rural area which provided a TON of deserted back roads to get out and drive and stop occasionally to get out and walk along the road for a bit before returning to my car. Even though I was not interacting with anyone, the experience was exhilarating! My question is can that really be considered "in public"?

The only way I may try it again would be at some gathering where like minded people had come together for an event and not point out the obvious. As I age I'm getting a DILLIGAF attitude about being recognized, but it would certainly have to be far from home to make another attempt as I am still very much in the closet.

Thanks you all for sharing! I wouldn't dive too into the details, all your experiences count as a first time to me and it was great to read them all. I suppose I have been out in public too when I was in high school during my freshman year halloween. I decided to go as a girl and wore some of my girlfriend at the times clothes. Teal tank to, floral pattern skirt and a wig. But at that time I was just a youngster being goofy and could get away with it under the halloween loophole. But I have been more and more curious since I discovered this website and look forward to trying it in the future. Maybe eventually going up to the support group in GR that I've heard so many good things about.

Thanks again for all your replies!

My first time in public was just after my 76th birthday last September. My wife accompanied me to makeup session at Janet's Closet in Wyandotte, Michigan. After thirty years of being together and her knowing about my desire to dress for a long time, I shaved my beard and made plans for this first step out of the closet. I dressed most of the way at home and just added my wig, forms, and heels at Janet's. After a makeup session I walked all around the store and poses for photos. Even going out side in the warm late summer afternoon sun. The young lady doing my makeup had sprayed a fixative on the make up. My wife said that I should drive home (an hour away) dressed. I was thrilled with the unexpected freedom and can remember seeing my legs ad dress hem while in the driver's seat. I stayed dressed until bedtime when I removed my make up, but was thrilled to put on my best nightgown and robe. Things have been busy, but we are planning a shopping trip to get anew wig and clothes with the idea of going out to dinner afterward.
    And soon, "Tip's old comrades stared in wonder...and then every head bent in honest admiration of the lovely Princess Ozma."
    "The girl turned to her old friends. "Speaking the words with a sweet diffidence, she said, 'I hope none of you will care less for me than you did before. I'm just the same Tip, you know, only--only--' "
    " 'Only you're different,' said the Pumpkinhead."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just another 'Gurl'
    First time fully dressed was when I was in the army stationed in Germany. I left base and took the train to Frankfurt. Got changed on the train into a form fitting, spandex, mini dress, with a fluorescent green and blue striped pattern. I added heels and panty hose. I covered my face with a scarf so I would not be recognized by anybody from base. That was back in the early 2000s. Scary, but exciting at the same time. I was so hooked on dressing and going out in public after that.
    Just another man in a dress

First time I really went out, I went to the movies. I was dressed to the nines and looked good, way overdressed for a movie, though. I purchased my ticket at the kiosk and walked up to the ticket taker. he and his friend could not stop looking at me and took it as a compliment. I sat at the back of the movie, enjoyed it, and left at the end. I stopped to get some gas and went home. Had some fun when I got home and couldn't wait to do it again. When I was younger I could pull it off more, now that I am middle aged and little heavier, I have more doubt. Looking back I wish I would have gone out more

My early outings while dressed head to toe as Teresa were:
    -Drove around at night
    -Went to movies. Safe in the dark theater.
    -Drove to CD Meet Up groups with wife. Felt very safe
    -Would stop at a MacDonalds window to order a burger and drink
    -Later, we would go inside a McDonald's or other fast food place and eat our meal.
    -Would visit a mall with my wife to do nothing more than window shop

-The more we went out, the more comfortable we became
    -The more comfortable I felt, the more confidence I gained
    -The more confidence I became, the more we just enjoyed being out together doing what any two women would do... shop, dine out, movies, travel, grocery shopping, run errands, museums, shop, shop, and shop.
    I honor my wife's request that I not post pictures.

First time I ever went out, we went out of town to a LGBT friendly resort, couldn't have picked a better place, I was nervous and scared but quickly realized no one really gave two thoughts to what I was wearing so it made for a very nice and pleasant first time out

Car drives as well, with visits to ATMs to check my account. Got brave enough to go into a Convenience Store with a ATM.
    If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

First time out was without wig or make up! Off the cuff car ride! Went to local park and drove around, past two police officers! Then left the park and had to stop for road work flagman! Wore skirt and blouse with nude pantyhose! Went home and back into the house! Was in daylight while neighbors were all at work!
    The start that got me where I am, a pre-op trans woman!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

What a great thread! I love reading these stories. I wear only women's clothes, but I have alopecia so there's no facial hair and it's very easy for me to present non-binary. I just moved to a place (Portland) that is so open it feels great to just walk out the door as myself. I have yet to dress fully female (wig and more make-up) but with the help of you ladies I'm getting there! <3

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    My first of only two times out was for our church's adult Sunday school class Halloween PARTY. Our costuming tradition had been dropping off, and after a particularly "disappointing" and uninspired party 1n 2004, I decided that I needed to "Shake things up" with something "Shocking" for the NEXT year. Yes, dressing as "A woman" crossed my mind, but did not seem "imaginative" enough to me. After a few months of thinking about it, the IDEA suddenly struck me. A " Gypsy Fortune Teller!" it had the CD element in it and was appropriate for Halloween. Not to mention a chance for exotic clothing and makeup.---- Needless to say, I was the "star" of the next party, I had even brought along a crystal ball and deck of cards. I discovered dressing up in public was a GREAT (if unconventional) way to meet women too. ALL the ladies wanted me to "read their fortunes" I had them lined up at my table. Needless to say, I WON the costume contest, and my efforts were also successful in revitalizing our Halloween parties. A bit too successful, as the next year, my dead-on "Mark Twain" costume only won SECOND place--- I got beat out by an 80 year old lady who came as a "pregnant Nun!"---- But she deserved it too. ----She also came as a "realistic" "Space Alien" once.

Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

Initially it was just drives in my car for a while. I got totally dressed, black leather skirt, nice blouse, boots and all the under pinnings. I would drive along the new route that opened to Newport News VA. I did that quite a few times, but it was too short. I had to head back to PA to see family over the years. I got underdressed ad I was too chicken to go through the toll booth to pay the ticket for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. I stopped along the way at a Kroger to get make up remover wipes and new makeup items before hitting the bridge. On the other side of the 17 mile crossing I stopped at the rest area, got fully dressed in full length broomstick dress, Eddie Bauer leather lace up flat boots, applied make up and wig. It was red back in the day. I distinctly remember pulling out of the stop and turning on to a rural route off of RT 13. I remember the way the wind felt as it lifted my long dress. It was so wonderful. I would drive about four hours en femme with little fanfare, but alas I would always need to stop for a bathroom break. That could be a problem as I was not confident enough to go to a women's restroom along the way in a fast food place. Along the way there was a rest stop with a porta potty on RT 13. I decided to plunge ahead and stop there. I grabbed my clutch with the keys and stepped in. WHile there I could hear someone outside waiting to come in. I did my business and opened the door and was greeted by a young man who held the door for me! I repeated this process quite a few time while my parents were still alive. Sometimes I had to just squat to do my business after pulling off the busy route to a side road. I would change back somewhere in Delaware or PA. I often dressed on the way back as well. That was sort of unnerving but fun.

I had underdressed for years; but my first time out, fully dressed and made up, was about 25 years ago. I went to one of those PO Box places and checked my mail, then went grocery shopping. I dressed to look like any other 35-ish year old woman, and it went swimmingly.

Not counting a few teenage backyard things and some late night underdressed walks when I resumed dressing years later, my first real time out was about 12 years out when I had my frst makeover and bought my first wig. I dressed in jeans and a top and visited a few shops. I took 10 minutes to get out of the car for that first store but it was worth it. I remember having to buy a comb because my wig got a little messy trying clothes on. All in all, a good day where I surprised myself a little. Just needed to build up a little courage.

I am building to my first outing m'self.