Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well that was "fun"!

Well that was "fun"!

I had a call from my GP asking me to go in about a rash (shingles as it turns out). I said sure, 20 minutes. Then I realised I'd just painted my nails! I had no time (or inclination) to remove the varnish so I mustered my courage and tootled to the surgery. I certainly felt exposed in the waiting area. Went in to see the Dr and didn't really hide my lovely black nails. No comment made of course. Then I went to my local pharmacy to pick them up.

All done. Another chip against the fears. Maybe I'll grow the courage to go to a group meal on Saturday with them painted.

It would have been a bit awkward if I'd needed to strip down - as I am in pretty knickers, bralette and holdups. Ha ha.

My fears play out as "if you were really a CD/gender-fluid it wouldn't be an issue" - but I'm starting to recognise that as my need to fit in.

My wife says not to worry about painting my nails, that in 2023 nobody would notice or care (I'm in London UK). Any thoughts on that as I feel very exposed?

All told a fun day being underdressed and having painted nails. I am loving it.

Hopefully you have a mild case as it is severe for some people.

I went to the dermatologist in the fall with a suntan from wearing a bra in the summer so that was kind of awkward. Few will care much about nails though. It seems to be more and more common to see men with nail polish on. No one would be shocked.

Sandi

Painted nails and toes. Nobody cares in California.

I got covid about two years ago, and as a result, my nails got paper thin.
    I've been doing a very subtly pink powder dip acrylic for over a year and a half. I get nothing but compliments on how well kept my nails are; even from other guys.
    Just like Natalie said, nobody cares, and I'm in Texas, so...
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Platinum Member
    New experiences always feel a bit awkward the first time out. The first time to the clinic with painted nails, panties or whatever, would be nervous for anyone, regardless of their gender identification. Once you realize it?s a non-event, the next time will just be another appointment.

Sorry to hear you have shingles, tho. Hopefully not a really rough case. Shingles can miserable. For those who have not done so, definitely consider the vaccinations for shingles.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    After you've walked alone in broad daylite thru various vanilla venues dressed to the nines your worries about underdressing, painted nails, etc. will vanish as mine have, Sam!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I've had that happen a couple of times. Once at PT and once at a doctor's appointment I was (unexpectedly) asked to take off my shoes and socks. Nothing to do but to own it. It wasn't a problem except for me. I was extremely embarrassed, but I survived just fine.

I also went to a dermatologist for a full body scan where I knew I'd have to take my shoes and socks off. I had just gotten a pedi and I didn't want to remove the polish so soon. So I didn't
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 12-05-2023 at 02:56 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Only those who think there should be a solid steel wall between males and females when it comes to doing things that involves some kind of traditional and stereotypical crossover will care. Nobody else, especially someone in the medical field, is going to openly care. They may disapprove personally but as long as it is kept out of the social context by voicing comments then, in a practical sense, their objection does not exist. In general people let other people do what they wish whether they approve or not, but there is always that other side that wants to control what others do with the idea that they are helping you to be "proper and appropriate." But socially in most of the world it is inappropriate to be controlling of others - it is called discrimination and prejudice.

I used to worry years ago about nails being painted and all but for the past year have some color of nails everyday. Only difference with me is I also dress feminine 24/7 too. Main thing is my nails look so good all the time. I?ve always kept my nails groomed thru the years and at times they looked more feminine than masculine even before dressing. Main thing is they?re clean all the time. I see so many men and women both that don?t keep their nails clean and think it looks awful with dirt under the nails let alone the ones I see that chew on them. Ewww gross lol. No one says anything about my nails period. It?s my personal choice to have them nice.

Samantha, I have ended up in the ER with very feminine panties on. No one cared.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Even in this lull I've been in I've pretty much kept up with my regular mani pedis. For decades I've had my nails done every 6-8 weeks without fail. Typically I get them done on Friday or Saturday and wear polish in male mode until Monday morning, wherever I go. If I can go longer I do. I like wearing polish in male mode. My toes are always polished. That said, I think you're kidding yourselves if you think people don't notice or care. I'm glad they do notice! I take care of my nails and spend a fair amount of money on them. I don't do it thinking that nobody notices. As far as "care", does that mean they're going to beat you up or cuss you out? Very doubtful. Will the waitress talk about you to the rest of the staff? I'd say pretty likely. I've had others come by my table obviously just to have a look. It doesn't bother me. Like I said, I hope people do notice. Guess it depends on what you mean by "care". I don't think there are many of us who wear polish full time and if NOBLDY cared, most of us probably would.

Hi Rhonda, so far I've kept it on since Monday before seeing the doctor. I've been out and about on trains, libraries, cafes and shops without hiding. Bloody marvellous! I did put my hands in my coat pocket when an acquaintance (man) walked by. Shame. But I'll be out dancing tonight with my wife and I'm hoping I'll have the courage to keep it on this weekend at choir and for the group meal. I still catch myself every now and then and I'm pleased. It's becoming normal and that will make it easier as I meet friends and ultimately family.

So I'm not far from 24/7 and it's a thrill (of growing courage). You're correct that I DO want people to notice. My "care" was lacking courage (in general) to be myself. My courage is growing and this is going to benefit me everywhere!

I'm waiting for the first person to mention it, hopefully expressing they like them, and I hope to answer positively. At the very least "I'm just having a bit of fun to liven things up". If they ask if I'm TV/CD I may just given them an arch smile and blow a kiss (but that's 50:50 and situational) - be a little mysterious.

I'm (perhaps foolishly but I have an impish side) already dropping hints, like offering to paint my mother in laws nails (she's in hospital). That was after my wife asked on the phone if I could accompany mother in law to an appointment to another hospital and I replied "only if I can wear a nurses uniform"! My wife said it out loud and they laughed. Sadly no uniform given when I turned up! Ha ha. My mother in law is quite astute and asked my wife a week ago if I'm AC/DC, and then before that when she was ill at our house she related a short story about a transvestite. I'm not a typical roughty toughty man so maybe she sees something. I don't care too much, only that I'm in control.

Once upon a time... Veronica Lacey's Avatar
    Hi Samantha...

I've seen a few men - maybe a couple dozen in the last 2-3 years - in the trades professions wearing nail polish, almost always black. Seems like a personal statement that nobody blinks at. On the rare occasion that somebody does make a comment after the fact, nobody cares about their comment and life moves on.

Hope the shingles leave you alone soon.
    Part-time crossdresser, full-time human

Where I live, nail polish on men is quite common especially on the younger men. It is usually black, green, grey, purple. I see it especially where I work. No one cares.

I don't know how common it is where you live. I doubt anyone would even notice, much less mention your nails.

Shaving body hair makes for painless EKG tests!
    Gets noticed as well.

Marion

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Jean View Post
    Even in this lull I've been in I've pretty much kept up with my regular mani pedis. For decades I've had my nails done every 6-8 weeks without fail. Typically I get them done on Friday or Saturday and wear polish in male mode until Monday morning, wherever I go. If I can go longer I do. I like wearing polish in male mode. My toes are always polished. That said, I think you're kidding yourselves if you think people don't notice or care. I'm glad they do notice! I take care of my nails and spend a fair amount of money on them. I don't do it thinking that nobody notices. As far as "care", does that mean they're going to beat you up or cuss you out? Very doubtful. Will the waitress talk about you to the rest of the staff? I'd say pretty likely. I've had others come by my table obviously just to have a look. It doesn't bother me. Like I said, I hope people do notice. Guess it depends on what you mean by "care". I don't think there are many of us who wear polish full time and if NOBLDY cared, most of us probably would.
    I wear nail polish 24/7/365 in my feminine male mode. Usually silver on fingers and bright red on toenails which are usually exposed in women's open toe sandals. I do get a lot of compliments from women, but not just on my nails, but on my large collection of purses. I am the purse and nail polish girl! LOL. It is not a big deal and really isn't anyone's business. Really nobody cares!
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

I once went to work one morning realizing I was sporting blazing red nails. I worked independently, but it was still kind of funny. There have been times where I didn't realize I had not removed makeup properly only to discover a smear of foundation, or raccoon eyes.

Hi Samantha,
    I've not been out with painted finger nails but all last summer I had painted toe nails and was wearing walking sandals most of the time which showed off my nails.
    I did get a couple if comments, one from BIL who asked "why?" My reply was "why not?" 😀.
    We went to Sandals in St Lucia to renew our wedding vows and I painted my nails to match my linen suit. No one said anything apart from a guide we became friendly with who said "whats with the nails?" They were a nice pastal blue colour and did rather stand out. I told him I'd painted them to match the blue suit i wore for the vow ceremony as I did the vows in flip flops or no shoes.
    All in all, no issues af all and it made me feel so much better to express a part of myself generally hidden. Enjoy your nails.

Nice to have had that time with painted nails and toe nails. My toe nails are horrid after a botched in growing toenail o.o. Nail varnish would cover it nicely!

I've just heard my mother in law is coming out of hospital on Thursday and she'll stay with us for a week or so, so I'll have to remove the varnish. Probably. I may just say "sod it" and keep it. I'll at the very last keep clear varnish on.

Can you have painted nails ok or would it raise too many questions? I'm "lucky" that I'm out of work, but it will be another big step when I return to work (hopefully soon). I really don't want to completely hide away again.

I'm now retired so wearing varnish wouldn't be a problem from that perspective. However, one thing at a time for me as I'll need to get people used to my ear piercings first 😀.

My step- daughters did say when they saw me with my long hair and painted toe nails summer last year and jokingly asked, "is there something you haven't told us?" 😂😂

I routinely paint my fingernails. The most awkward thing is when you have to apply the nail varnish (polish) with your non-dominant hand. And then you have to be careful how you pick things up while the nail varnish is hardening.

Samatha, don't feel compelled to remove your nail varnish. Here in the USA I have seen men with painted nails.

John
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea1964 View Post
    I'm now retired so wearing varnish wouldn't be a problem from that perspective. However, one thing at a time for me as I'll need to get people used to my ear piercings first ��.

My step- daughters did say when they saw me with my long hair and painted toe nails summer last year and jokingly asked, "is there something you haven't told us?" ����
    I had that at church on Sunday from a lady friend who asked if they might see me in a skirt. I archly smiled and said something like "you never know"!

Personally, I think that you are overthinking the nails. However, since your wife is so supportive now, ask what she thinks. I assume the visitor is your wife’s mother.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I routinely paint my fingernails. The most awkward thing is when you have to apply the nail varnish (polish) with your non-dominant hand. And then you have to be careful how you pick things up while the nail varnish is hardening.

Samatha, don't feel compelled to remove your nail varnish. Here in the USA I have seen men with painted nails.

John
    My hands are a little bit shaky but I'm getting better every time.

I'd really like my mother in law to see them, or rather for me to not care. She is, however, an opinionated sharp tongued person at times. We've had bad arguments before. If she sees then my son's will know/see at Christmas, then my own mother and I'm not sure I'm ready for that cascade! OTOH I don't want to hide away again either!

It is seemingly only nail varnish but things with my mother in law could escalate quickly.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha51 View Post
    My hands are a little bit shaky but I'm getting better every time.

I'd really like my mother in law to see them, or rather for me to not care. She is, however, an opinionated sharp tongued person at times. We've had bad arguments before. If she sees then my son's will know/see at Christmas, then my own mother and I'm not sure I'm ready for that cascade! OTOH I don't want to hide away again either!

It is seemingly only nail varnish but things with my mother in law could escalate quickly.
    Yes, the visitor of my mother in law. My wife encouraged me to wear it but I don't know about in front of her mother. I'll ask! I do over think things - considering where the conversation might be drawn. For example the pink fog is urging me to fully out myself and I'm no way ready for that!

Mwhahahaha! If you're worrying about painted nails in London (and black, at that! so 70's punk), I take it that you've never ventured into Camden Town (and I'm talking in the 2000's, imagine in 2023!). I saw people of all sorts with all sorts of outfits and hair styles there back then, and many worked in a famous TV station nearby. With your black painted nails, you would have been the boring type really.
    You'll be fine Samantha.