Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practical cross-dressing

Practical cross-dressing

hello all,
    If a man wears women's clothes for practical reason is that crossdressing?
    For example, it is very cold here in northern England this week - so I am wearing some women's clothing for the warmth - for example: women's legging's under my trousers because they cost less than men's long-johns and fit better, women's long sleeved tee shirts because men's ones are hard to find and cost more and a women's thick padded hooded coat because I have never seen one of those on sale for men.
    So is that "cross-dressing" or just being practical (if you ignore the fact that I also wear dresses at other times of the year)?
    luv J

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Why r u asking us here? We're all CD's just like u.

Find a regular man who wears women's tites simply to warm his legs and ask him!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Haha ,

Well let me try that idea out on my wife. My guess is that it would land me in the dog house.

Sandi

It was wearing pantyhose to keep my legs a little bit warmer one winter that got me back into cross dressing after I had stopped for many yrs following my marriage

If a non-CD wore those items for practical reasons then he'd probably not be CD IMO.

As you're a CD anyway (you wear dresses) then the question is moot. I'm interested to know why are you asking!

Aspiring Member
    I wore long Johns in winter all my childhood. So did all the other guys through our Minnesota winters. Leggings are easier to find (in the women?s section), less expensive, durable enough, and more comfortable.

If tights are good enough to get Dick Butkus through a Chicago winter, they are good enough for me. Nobody in his day was fierce enough to question him about anything. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Butkus

I wear women's penny loafers. Same shoe style in the same store but much less expensive. That works for many other shoes also.

Why does it cost less to put buttons on the other side of a coat? I dunno, but while others philosophize, I will stay warm and keep more of my money.

I wear 31 inch inseam pants. That is difficult to find in men?s pants but it is ubiquitous in women's pants. I won that lottery. I have no butt so both men?s and women?s pants look baggy. It works for me.

When I need to use the restroom in drab, none of my clothes raise the slightest objection to entering at the door labeled MEN.

The only thing my wife raises more objections to than CDing is spending too much. Therefore, I get the clothes, I hide them in plain sight, and she prefers it that way.

Of course its crossdressing I also use any excuse possible to get my girl on.

To me, clothes are clothes and whether they are men's or women's does not matter if comfort and when it is practical to do so for some reason, such as it is cold. If a man wears a women's shirt with the buttons on the other side is that crossdressing? Absolutely not, IMO! But if his intent is to look like a woman then it becomes crossdressing. In short, it is the intent of the act and not the act itself that defines the category.

Quote Originally Posted by jacques View Post
    I call myself a crossdresser and, in public, I wear womens outer clothes all the time that are "androgynous". Although I don't wear leggings & long sleeved tees as underwear, I do have womens thermal underwear which are similar
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/MISS-MOLY...from=%2Fsearch

Interesting. One of my golf buddies also hunts. He told me his wife suggested he wear thigh Highs to keep his legs warm while hunting. Very defensively he denied being a cder. I just smiled, as I?ve been wearing them for years and love how they feel. My accepting wife agrees, saying They?re just clothes. So, I guess one could call it CDing, but who really cares? JMO.

when I was young my girlfriends dad used to wear 2 pairs of his wifes tights for work, he was in and out of a giant freezer at work and he found after trying many clothes they was the warmest things to wear.

Jacques, let's ignore that you are wearing dresses. Oh! You are not a crossdresser anymore.

By definition you are a CD.
    There is no exclusion because "a men's ... is more expensive". Just admit it and move on sister.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by jacques View Post
    hello all,
    For example, it is very cold here in northern England this week - so I am wearing some women's clothing for the warmth - for example: women's legging's under my trousers because they cost less than men's long-johns and fit better, women's long sleeved tee shirts because men's ones are hard to find and cost more and a women's thick padded hooded coat because I have never seen one of those on sale for men.
    So is that "cross-dressing" or just being practical (if you ignore the fact that I also wear dresses at other times of the year)?
    luv J
    Cloth by itself does not have, but a small amount of gender association. You can take most cloth and fashion it into a female garment, or a male garment. Add some lace of floral decorations and its female. Add nothing for decoration and its male. The utility of cloth is not affected. Design of the garment is usually centered on the practicality of fit. For example, if a tight, stretchy material provides the desired utility, then is it crossdressing? Crossdressing is wigs, makeup, movement and presentation of female attributes. Consequently, I believe you can wear all the panties and leggings you want without having to ask the crossdressing question. How do these garments make you feel in another question, but that is your business. Live you life to the fullest and forget the labels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandi Beech View Post
    Haha ,

Well let me try that idea out on my wife. My guess is that it would land me in the dog house.

Sandi
    Video record it please! I would so love to see that! Lol
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I'm too small to wear men's clothes so I wear women's clothes. I just bought a cute pleated XS skirt for $16 from Revolve. XS clothes can be really inexpensive.

I second Sandi's HaHa!!

When I was a teenager I was super skinny. My mother bought me girl's slacks and shirts because they fit better. For a year I didn't even know that they were girl's clothes. When my dad pointed out that "That shirt has darts!"... too late by then. It was my favorite shirt. So, if I didn't know it, what it crossdressing? If a tree falls in the woods...? I'll say this, after I found out it most certainly was crossdressing and I LOVED it! I also wore girl's platform heels. This was the '70's and men wore chunky platform heels, too, but they didn't come small enough for me, so she bought me girl's platforms. Almost indistinguishable from the men's version except a little narrower heel and a little higher. I, of course, ate it up. Also a practical reason for buying me panties. She had bought me some men's nylon briefs of various colors. They were expensive compared to panties, so when it came time for more she explained that there's really no difference except price. It certainly made a difference to me, but I acquiesced! Seems she had a practical reason for a lot of things. I also wore pantyhose "to keep warm".

Actually, I think there is WAY too much emphasis on whether something comes from the boys dept. or the girl's dept. A friend of mine's son had to go to a thing where he needed to wear slacks instead of his usual sweats. He is also very skinny and they found it very difficult to find slacks that would fit him. I suggested they just buy girl's slacks and they just rejected that idea immediately. I don't know why that's such a hot button with some people.

Rhonda, just an observation here. Is there any chance your mother enjoyed helping you cross dress? Many young guys who want to cross dress would love having a mother so supportive.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

Banned Read only
    So, my daughter when she was a young adult wore men's jeans because men's jeans had functional pockets and women's jeans did not. She also wore men's shoes because they were less expensive. My granddaughter raided my flannel shirts because bought her jeans in the young men's section because she has not hips. My wife also wore men's jeans on occasion. My wife routinely borrows and has her own graphic tee shirts that are a man's cut as a women's style does not work as well. They may be wearing men's clothing and may be cross-dressing (a verb) but are not cross dressers (a noun). None of them got their kicks wearing men's clothing.

Jacques, I would say it's not crossdressing.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    In the strictest sense of the word in the dictionary, it is CD'ing, so what! The meaning of words can evolve into something else over a period of time. If I look at it from what I am reading, then I am no longer a CD'er. I say wear what you want, from wherever you buy it, and enjoy your life.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

I love to wear woman?s clothes. I take time to pick them out. Enjoy putting them on. My Male clothes, I just out on as fast as possible. I don?t enjoy it

GG Wife
    My observation (as a GG) - If it is cross-dressing, it is not practical. If it is practical (i.e you get no thrill/pleasure/tingle from it) it is probably not cross-dressing.

Women's jeans are definitely not crossdressing since they aren't practical at all (try fitting keys in these so-called pockets).

Intent is the deciding factor IMHO. If one didn't know he was putting on a feminine article of clothing, he wouldn't be a CD. A long sleeve T-shirt might pass for a men's. Leggings? I don't think they make them for men...
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder