Thread: A tribute to my Aunt...

A tribute to my Aunt...

You may be wondering why I would post a tribute to my Aunt. Well, my Aunt Jean passed away last week at the ripe old age of 88. She was my Mom's only sister and they grew up in a time when ladies wore stockings and dresses a lot more than they do these days. My Mom seemed to wear pants a lot more when I was growing up, but my Grandmother never did and Aunt Jean was in her 60's at least before I saw her wearing pants.

My Gram and Aunt were also of the time period when women wore the Playtex girdles - all-in-ones with the garters. Add a pair of nylons and heels and your foundation garments were all set! I discovered these over some summers when I would stay at my Gram's house and found some in the basement laundry room - a pile that she had placed there because they needed mending, a garter that needing fixing etc. I of course, looked for any opportunity to be in the basement to try them on!

I remember staying with my Aunt one weekend and being in her living room but needing to ask her a question. I don't remember the question but I went in search of her and found her in her bedroom in the process of changing out of her dress. There she stood, absolutely lovely in her Playtex, nylons and heels. Still with full makeup on. It inspired me that emulating that kind of femininity was what I aspired to in my dressing! I was maybe 12 years old, but gosh what an impact! I appreciated that she didn't seem to be mad at me for seeing her in the middle of dressing.

So, a tribute if you will to a lady who inspired a portion of my dressing and to a by-gone era of some very sexy everyday undergarments! Lipstick had to be perfect and watching all three of these ladies apply their makeup whenever I had a chance was a very learned experience for me!

None of them knew I dressed, although I think my Mom may have suspected once or twice, but tonight I will get all dolled up, apply my lipstick in as perfect a fashion as I can - and sip a nice red wine thinking about all the lovely outfits, shoes, etc, and all that I have learned from Aunt Jean in my early years.

Thanks for reading!
    Krissy

I will too. Thanks for her tribute.

Me too. Beautiful tribute, Krissy.

What a nice post. Lovely sentiment.

This is wonderful Krissy!

And many kudos to your aunt for not being upset seeing her in a state if partial undress. There's no way to "undo" that, I'm sure it wasn't intentional, and she had the option of shooing you out of the room if it bothered her. She chose the high road. Kudos to her.

Platinum Member
    A lovely sentiment!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

An absolutely beautiful tribute, I loved your post!
    Crissy

Beautiful tribute.

Oh, my, what a wonderful tribute to someone who obviously was very important in your life. It is interesting how common it is us that our aunts and uncles sometimes have more influence on the path that we follow than our parents do or did.

The big lesson is that who you are today, in part, is perhaps a result of your aunt's unintended influence on you and that certain events had a very large influence on your thinking of who you are and who you aspired to be to some extent. The experts say that these kinds of events in our lives, especially in the early years, can be major factors in creating pathways along which we develop and adapt in the future. So if you are looking for a cause of your "weirdness" or "normality" you don't need to look much further than the influence of such events on the development of the total you, like it or not.

But there is still a fly in the soup. Why, in you, did such events have such a huge impact on who you became while in other people such events have little effect or have different consequences? Perhaps that foundation lies in the particulars of our genes. There is some good evidence that is the case, but the picture is still a pretty blurry. But one thing is certain: the blended influence of genetics which is fairly well cast in bronze and our experiences which are more like a highly elastic sheet combine to define many aspects of who we are today. Celebrate it. It is wonderful and so are you even if in some ways you are different. Difference is really the name of the game. Individuality rather than uniformity.

Here is to your aunt - may she rest in peace. She was a wonderful and loving woman. She gave you a gift that is really special in the creation of your individuality.

What a great tribute and thank you for letting me also have a flashback of the women in my past that probably got the dressing story started.

Krissy, I am so sorry for your loss. I had a grand aunt who was born in 1885 and passed in in 1985. She always wore the long lace up corsets, stockings and heels. It did have an effect on me.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Such a sweet tribute. You have my condolences.
    Honoring the woman within

Sorry for your loss - sounds like a string role model for you

A pleasure to read thanks for sharing.

Your aunt would appreciate your thoughts.

I grew up in that time as well, when women wore dresses and heels and gorgeous undergarments.
    That's lost now and will never return, but it did make a big impression that will last forever.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

It is wonderful to recognize the wonderful women who influenced us. I am grateful as I love that I discovered this side of me. Cheers Krissy!

Thank you for your kind words everyone! I am grateful to be able to share a little bit of her story with you!

Hugs,
    Krissy!

Platinum Member
    Hi Krissy , Lovely Story,

That was a Great time for Lovely Fashions,
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Krissy, Sorry that you lost your Aunt. I think it is wonderful to have someone in your past that brings such happy memories. I am sure you will miss her.

What a beautiful tribute Krissy. It made me think of my mother and her influence on my life. Enjoy those precious memories of her.

Joanna

A wonderful and moving tribute .

Krissy, Beautiful tribute to your aunt! My aunt Mary was also of that generation that embraced all that was feminine.