Thread: Reflections on 70+ years

Reflections on 70+ years

Tomorrow is my 82nd birthday, and it serves as a reminder that I've been CDing for about 71 years. (Unfortunately I can't be more precise than that, because I didn't have the foresight to memorialize the exact date on which I first decided to slip on my mother's nylons. I certainly didn't expect it to lead to a lifelong activity.)

Needless to say, a lot has changed over that period. Other than the evolution (not all good) of women's fashions, to me the single biggest change to the life of a CDer has been the emergence of the Internet. I recall as a teen searching through library books---mostly encyclopedias and psychology books---to try to get an understanding of why I was doing what I was doing, mostly to no avail. A bit later, I began to run across magazines, like Penthouse Letters, that published phony letters about CDing adventures. They were titillating but not very instructive.

Shopping was almost totally limited to brick-and-mortar stores. I recall as a college student going to the nearest upscale department store to "buy a gift for my girlfriend" of Hanes nylons, and telling the helpful sales lady that "I didn't know her size" (I knew I wanted 11L), but that she was "very tall". She put them in a beautiful gift box for me.

Today we have access to more information and discussion forums (this being the premiere example) than I could wish for, and on-line shopping has given me the opportunity to buy anything I could dream of. If only that had been true 70 years ago...

I have too many memories to recount, but the one that sticks with me most is the joy of finally embracing my loving-but-mostly-DADT wife with both of us wearing silky night gowns.

My journey has had its ups and downs, but I'm grateful to have taken it. Unlike my body, it never gets old.

Very thoughtful post

" I started at 8 years old I am 65 years old now and often wonder how much longer I am going to be doing this because it never goes away and almost seems to get stronger as I get older. Like you, I have seen a lot come and go, from fashions to the transformative impact of the Internet, which has opened up doors for all of us to come together as a community, share ideas, and support each other.

My only regret is that I wish I had been more open about this even back in the 1970s and early '80s. I should have just come out and been honest with those close to me. It would have been difficult, but I think I would have been better for it.

At 65, I still look forward to expressing the woman that lives inside of me, supporting members of our community, and just being the best transgender person I can be."
    Last edited by Di; 01-31-2024 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Please this post is about Mysterywoman do not add your picture

A few years younger but a similar story. Undoubtedly the internet and sites like this have been a boon to us all.

One thing that I feel has helped us is strangely over the years a better diet, perhaps less so with now so much junk fast food on offer but folks have grown taller and that's true for GG's as well as males. Talking brick and mortar shops buying shoes that were two sizes too small (for my girlfriend at Christmas nod nod) were generally the largest available. Now taller females with bigger feet mean shoes in our sizes are more readily available.

The world has changed and while there are still those haters out there, being visible, out in public in the day time, in a dress to blend sort of way, is now so much easier.

I hope I'm around in 20 years time to see just where our community sits in society. Hopefully even more acceptance from a kinder more caring society.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Platinum Member
    Hi M W , That sounds just like my story I just turned 81 and I have been in this Program for 76 Years Now, >Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

How easy to relate to your story.
    I had the same issues with my "girlfriend". I never knew her correct sizes, only what she dearly loved.

Coming out to anyone in that time frame (I'm a few years younger as well) would have been tantamount to social suicide. The hiding and fear of discovery were gnawing at me every moment of the day. Fast forward to the Internet beginnings and all the information available. Oh that that were the case back then!

Thankfully those growing up in this age don't have those issues.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Very lovely post and happy birthday! You should write a book about you memories!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Platinum Member
    Thank you for sharing your remembrance of a life well spent.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    An early "Happy Birthday" to you. I'll be 77 years old this year. The early years of my adventure was similar. The ability to converse in some way with other men with a fondness of wearing women's attire has been liberating. For decades I thought I was alone, and worse, that I was defective as a male human. It's not that I did not try to find fellow cross-dressers, I just could not find any. I did that ruse of buying for my wife. On-line shopping has been a God-send, although the downside has been way too many femme clothes.

I just turned 68. I always had these feelings. I wish I dressed fully in my 20's. I would have been hot.

I remember being in a bar one night and I girl walked past me going to the ladies room. I said out loud that I would look better in that dress than she did. Apparently too loud. A girl that I knew by association overheard my comment to myself and she agreed with me.

First of all, Happy Birthday.

I can relate to so many parts of your story.
    And I would guess that a lot of us on the forum have a similar story.
    Growing up before the internet and the total taboo of crossdressing.
    It sure has been a learning curve compared to the world and society these days.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    How wonderful to find someone here older than I, Mystery. If only by a year!

However, I never thot to try on women's things until I was 50. So, my dressing experience is quite different than most here.

And, altho my body is aging, I refuse to present as an old woman as long as I feel so young! Fortunately, with today's silicone prosthesis and with careful, healthy eating and drinking habits nearly anyone can see a shapely young woman in their mirror if they really want to!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

78 here, started expermenting with dresseig around age 5 trying on and wearing my sisters (I had three older sisters) panties and slip - I could write a book. I am sure most of us have like stories of there expierences. My wife is lets say - tolerant- to a degree an therefore makes my "hobby" easier to maintain this life style....Happy Birthday........................Debra

What a beautiful post!
    Wishing you the best Birthday ever.
    Thank you for sharing with us .
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

Happy birthday!!!!

Happy Birthday! I can totally relate to your thoughtful post. Having first started when I was about 12 years old, I followed a similar path. My wife of 44 years knows and is also mostly-DADT. I am now pushing 76, and love this group for helping me in my journey.
    "When you come to a fork in the road, Take it!" - Yogi Berra
    I guess I did!

Happy birthday. Your post is inspiring. I think you (and your wife) have figured out the combination that works best for you. That is always great to hear about but I am sure that is not as great as living it. A life well lived. Keep it up.

Happy birthday! Very cool story that many of us can relate to. I?m looking forward to my senior dressing years i have seen many senior ladies that look just adorable in their skirts and dresses.

After many years in a DADT relationship, my wife of 64 years has softened, buying and gifting me nightgowns, tops, pants which I've been wearing around the house. This morning I went out on our cold 3 season room (a daily chore) to feed our squirrels some peanuts, still in my nightgown. "People will see you" she said, I began to answer "I'm 87" and she finished "and you don't give a damn". Right.

MysteryWoman, Sounds like you have had a wonderful journey so far.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I have been crossdressing since i was four years old, i am now 75! I was dressesd up as a girl for thr Queens Coronation celebrations on 1952. Loved it and the extreeme desire has never diminished. My Mother was always willing to help me with dressing in my older sister’s clothes, bless her. It’s so strange but i cannot remember my Father’s reaction to this, but my sister would make fun of me and calling me by girls names. Unfortunayely i am very much in the closet, and am restricted to underdressing when the opportunity arrives. I know that i am transgendered but have never done anything about it, although my Mother did take me to see our GP when i was abiut 13 years old, and his advice was “he will grow out of this, its just a phase” �� So sad and oh how i wish things could have been different.IMG_1966.jpg

Well first of all Happy belated Birthday. Same story for myself starting very young I believe 9 or 10 with my sisters pantyhose and her slips not long after. Last year turning sixty as much as we don't like to think about it we always seem to look back at this stage and ask myself when am I going to do this or do that. Looking back I just still and can't understand the control it took over me. It's like Supermans criptanight I had no control over the things I did to satisfy the needs, steeling family members pantyhose and slips and all the hiding. Looking back it was my wife who saved me, always telling me to stop feeling guilty or stop trying to figure it out and just enjoy it.
    I hope you had an amazing Birthday Day and wishing you many more years of health and more beautiful memories. Cheers.

Aspiring Member
    Just turned 63, all so true and profound...

i will be 70 in April stadted crossdressing around12 . maried 21 years old wife been woundfill to me inter net hard for me two leaving in real north cal. 2miles from coast means i had two learn computer i agre it wondfill two have aseces two web especaly this place Doven

Thank you so much for your kind wishes and comments. Take Care.