I was out and about en femme in a neighboring town, and was clearly passing well. I decided to go to a restaurant to eat, figuring no one would know me there. While I was in the entry area waiting to be seated, one of my neighbors came out and immediately started talking to me as if nothing were unusual. She introduced me to her daughter, and carried on a conversation as if we were just friends who happened to run into each other. In fact, she seemed more relaxed talking to me dressed as a woman than she ever does when I'm in drab.

I'm not out to very many people (my wife knows but doesn't participate), so this is a bit unnerving. I wish the consequences of the neighborhood knowing weren't there, as it was so comfortable talking to her, I'd like to carry it on. But I'm pretty deeply closeted and have been for the 70 years I've been dressing and am not ready to come out to the neighbors. Maybe it's too late. I hope not. This may be nothing, as she may not spread the word, but if she does it will change how people interact with me, and I don't want that.

I can only take things as they come and hope for the best, so here's to the unknown!

Grace