Thread: A more substantial win...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A more substantial win...

I've wanted to find my style in makeup but my wife was always horrified at the idea. Over the last month I just decided to get up and start my day with some mascara. I try to be subtle, but not invisible in applying it and she complained about it smearing several times. She suggested I move to waterproof. I did and have been wearing mascara to run errands daily since.

After a couple of months of mascara, I got a wild hair to try some eyeshadow. I had a small palette of shadows that had one dark brown color. I tried it and didn't hate it. She didn't like it, but rather than complain that it was too feminine, she complained that it was too dark and that it made me look tired. I finally asked her if she had any palettes that I might be able to try. She was the one who found the palette and the color I'm wearing right now. It is much more subtle that than i started with, but along with the mascara, I'm slowly finding the confidence to get out and about wearing it. She has been accommodating even though I know she's not thrilled.

From her stance on makeup a year or two ago to the acceptance and even giving suggestions is a major win for me.

I'm still inclined to take off the makeup if I know I'll be around family or people at church, but even then I'm not horrified at the idea of being seen. I am guarded, but not horrified. That's a huge change for me.
    Last edited by Bea_; 03-02-2024 at 08:44 PM.
    To be loved but not known is comforting but superficial. To be known and not loved is our greatest fear. But to be fully known and truly loved is, well, a lot like being loved by God. It is what we need more than anything. ~ Timothy Keller