Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dreaded traffic stop

The dreaded traffic stop

Well, it happened last night.
    The biggest fear for many is to be stopped by the police while out and fully dressed. It's not my fear as I've been in other similar situations before, but it is still for many.
    We decided to get Chinese takeout. I had dressed in the morning and since we go out regularly it was not even a consideration that I would change. I was wearing a black and white striped blouse, grey skirt, black pantyhose and was in my short red wig (one I hadn't worn in a long time). I got my purse and coat and off we went to get our food. I always drive and she gets the food. Well, when she came out there was no traffic but 2 vehicles about 3 blocks away. So wanting to get the food home still warm (it was about 25 degrees out) I checked traffic, pulled out of the parking slot and made a quick U-turn. It's a 25 mph zone and I was doing 23 but this black SUV came up quickly and got really close.
    Then it happened.

Lights, Siren, Police.

I pulled over quickly to let him by thinking he had gotten a call, but he pulled over behind me. UH-OH, what now!
    Not waiting for him I got my license from my purse and the registration and insurance card from the glove box. About a minute later he got out and did the typical police thing. He looked at the license plate, touched the tail light (I think they do this to leave fingerprints to identify the car in case things go bad). He shined his flashlight in the rear seat and checked for passengers. I already had the window down waiting. He asked if I knew why he stopped me and I politely said I had no idea. I didn't even try to disguise my voice. At this point I had raised my hand with the paperwork and he just went "Oh" in surprise that he didn't have to ask. He told me I made an illegal U-turn as it was against the law in this town. He stated there were signs at each intersection (which I have never seen, but will look for) and I said I hadn't seen them.
    When he finished checking my ID's he came back and said he wasn't issuing a summons this time but that I should be more careful in the future. I thanked him and we came home to have our dinner.

Later my wife asked if my heart fluttered when he pulled us over. I told her no, he wasn't my type and we laughed. I said my first thought was "$%@# how much will this be, about $100?" Then my next was How many points on my license (I haven't had any in 40 years). Then "Insurance surcharge I bet when they find out".

He was professional, courteous and never said a word about how I was dressed. Sure it's scary the first time something like this happens to you, but it's not the end of the world.

This is how I looked.
    IMG_8437.jpg
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Banned Read only
    You're right about the potential of the "dreaded" traffic stop. It always ran through my mind that the encounter would be with a less than professional law enforcement officer. In the past I always liked taking a drive with a evening stroll. I always made sure I had enough gasoline in the tank and all the headlamps and turn signals worked correctly. Also, everyone has to check out the driving laws in any state that you are visiting. What may be a civil infraction in my state, may still be a criminal infraction in another....off to jail if driving with a suspended license. Being put in a holding tank overnight may not be a great experience.

Platinum Member
    Hi Cheryl , That went rather well, , I always like a story with a Happy Ending, >Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Cheryl, thanks for sharing your story. Incidentally, you look very nice. Oh my, an illegal u- turn? 🙄 A slow night? I hope your insurance company overlooks it. Your experience is my/our biggest fear, along with a fender bender. We, too go out often for rides, shopping, etc.It seems like drivers are getting more aggressive, speeding, tailgating, etc. We have a lot of roundabouts in our small town. I?ve had to slam my brakes on several times as they speed into them. It?s scary. I?ve been very lucky, so far, knock on wood.

Just another 'Gurl'
    You are not alone. I was pulled over back in the late 90s while fully dressed. He was professional. He told me I had a light out and told me to have a goodnight.
    Just another man in a dress

glad you were left with just a warning, i was pulled over by state police in neptune after my trans meetup when i held them, i changed before i left as it was easier than later in the car, asked where i was coming from, told him from my trans support group, had my hands up when he approached the car, been 40 + since ive been in this situation, he asked why....answered to help you feel comfortable.

headlamp was out and left with a warning....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Yep had a few run-ins with the police myself. Always best to just be straightforward and upfront. In my situations, the officers never escalated or even ticketed me. I'm betting they have some level of training, and unless it's a bad encounter they prefer to just leave it at a warning. Glad yours worked out in your favor.

It's not the first time I've had something happen while driving.
    Once I was going up to work on our vacation home, dressed of course and alone. As I exited one interstate and got on another the engine overheated. I called for a tow and waited. As I did a State Trooper came by and stopped to ask if I was ok. I told him yes, that I had a tow truck on the way and he nodded and left. When the tow arrived it was a young man about 26. He was professional, courteous and helpful. He told me to wait in the cab as he took car of my vehicle then he drove me to my house. I thanked him and gave him a nice tip. Then I went in, changed and figured out that the thermostat was bad so I ran off to get one and solve the problem. So much for that weekend of housework.
    Each time something happened I've been lucky enough to encounter nice people. There are many out there and I think we make it more difficult on ourselves with worry that is not as dire as we suspect.

Still, it's good to be prepared.

My experience with law enforcement, while in Robyn mode, has aways gone well. I have never had a dealing with local police but many encounters with TSA and Customs agents. Most of them have seen it all and are very professional. Glad you got off with only a warning... Great story..
    " I have to tell you, sweetheart, my breasts are as smooth and beautiful as the day that I bought them " Lola from Kinky Boots

I got stopped crossing the broader to Canada. Pull me over for a car inspection. Called me madam. Check the car my passport. Wanted to know where I was going. Coming back to the States had to do it again.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

I was rear-ended once while dressed. We pulled over and called the police. The woman that hit me said her husband would be mad at her and asked me how my husband would react. When exchanging info, I gave her my real name and she was confused. She continued to refer to me as 'her' and 'she'. When the policeman looked at my driver's license, he wrote down the info without batting an eye or showing any surprise. They've seen it all, and this is mild in comparison to what they have to deal with on a regular basis.

Thanks for sharing - glad the traffic stop was a non-event

Reading your story I remembered the Andy Griffith episode where Gomer chases Barney yelling "citizens arrest" after Barney made a illegal U turn.

Glad you only got a warning.

Platinum Member
    I guess it happens at least once. Hope your heart rate has settled down!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kim,
    My heart rate never moved. I was more concerned with the potential expense and a bit mad at myself for getting caught...LOL.

Andrea,
    I never saw that episode or at least I don't remember it. I'll have to find it and show it to my wife. She'll get a laugh out of it. Now if Barney had only been in drag.

Hi Cheryl, that would be one of my most dreadful encounters. So glad you were able to have some peace about it. It is so nice that you had your loving wife along. I have travelled quite a few times from VA to PA dressed. Thankfully nothing as traumatic (to me) ever happened. It does give one pause and gives a path to an acceptable outcome.

I was stopped for a U-turn in Illinois in the middle of the night recently. Wasn't really "dressed", but I was wearing a pair of rather short yoga shorts and a women's top for the comfort. He didn't care about my clothes, really just wanted to see if I was drunk so it was also a non-event.

You look so nice I'm sure he wasn't going to couse a seen. With my luck I would be handcuffed on the trunk of the car lol.

As yet this has not happened to me. It is always a possibility that I could get stopped for a random breath test. We have a few busses set up for that purpose and often two or three police cars will set and test everyone who passes by.
    My only issue would be that I am not always dressed in a wig but just a little makeup. My details are all in my female name.

Philippa Jane

been there done that and I did get a ticket and had to go to traffic school. I made a left hand turn where I wasn't suppose to. All in all it was no big deal I was in the gay neighborhood so I am sure it didn't surprise the cop. I don't think he even commented on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Cheryl, My heart definitely would have fluttered. I'm glad you got off with just the warning.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Pulled over four times (over ten years). Never an issue regarding my attire. Ate one ticket. Talked my way out of another. Went to traffic court twice (always dressed). I am two for two as my own counsel. I am far from a lawyer. Just wanted to avoid the points and was successful both times. Ladies, if you own it, you will should never have an issue.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Could have been a lot worse. You could have been in stillettos and asked to walk a sobriety line. 😊. Glad it worked out.

Great story Cheryl, you looked lovely in your blouse and skirt I must say Im very envious of how your Crossdressing is such a normal part of your life your wife is a sweetheart for sure.

Kandi,
    I'll keep you in mind if I ever need representation in traffic court. We'd make quite the pair before the judge I'm sure.

Nancy44,
    I wish! Had foot surgery a dozen years ago and can't wear my beloved stilettos any longer. But I would have given him a show walking that line for sure. Probably end up on an episode of Ru Paul's Drag Race. Ask me to walk the line will you!

Jillcder,
    Thank you. I'm very lucky to have her and her wonderful acceptance. It's been such a relief from all the hiding and sneaking I did in my youth.