Thread: Neutral Crossdressing: An Alternative

Neutral Crossdressing: An Alternative

Crossdressing can be a very pleasurable activity for those who practice it but is still taboo in society. An example: it?s probably very difficult ? or impossible ? for you to go to work wearing feminine attire.

This article will show a balanced alternative between monotonous men?s clothing and controversial women?s clothing. You might practice crossdressing in a different way, perhaps not quite in the way you wish, but in a way that is possible.

Starting with underwear: you can wear a bra and panties under men?s clothing, as long as the pieces are neutral colors and seamless. As a last resort, wearing a sports bra can help. But if you?re still not comfortable wearing panties and a bra, you can choose men?s underwear with prints, lace, or even feminine colors ? like pink. In any store, you can find pink men?s underwear. You can also wear pantyhose under men?s clothing.

Regarding outerwear: you can opt for tighter-fitting men?s clothing, such as slim fit with prints, colors, and fabrics closer to mimicking the women?s style. A satin dress shirt matched with tighter printed or plain dress pants. A different suit is also possible.

You can use accessories such as watches, rings, brooches, etc. You can choose unisex models, even opt for feminine pieces, which are often not much different from men?s.

You can let your hair grow a little longer or wear men?s wigs that are a little longer.

Makeup? There are several types and styles of men?s makeup. Maybe it?s not as fun as putting on lipstick, but what matters is the gesture. The same goes for your nails: apply a base polish ? there are some aimed at men. What matters is the gesture. I repeat this phrase to show that crossdressing is not necessarily the result, but a process. And the process can also be very satisfying.

Shoes can also help. Choose masculine-made but in a more feminine style.

Society is a little strange: it tolerates women wearing pants instead of skirts, but it doesn?t tolerate men wearing skirts instead of pants. Women should wear a bra, even if they have very small breasts. Men with gynecomastia or chest fat freely parade around shirtless with their nipples showing through their clothes without any type of judgment from others.

We need to circumvent the judgments of society. ?She?ll freak out if she sees you in a dress, feminine makeup, panties, and a bra.? Don?t be fooled by the tips given above: despite everything, it may look strange if you?re wearing tighter, patterned men?s trousers. Some will find wearing a satin dress shirt as not normal. A SO may be horrified by your pink or lace brief, even though it is men?s clothing.

I hope that over time people will become more open and tolerant and that the idea of gender-neutral clothing will become more popular. Ideas like unisex dresses, for example, would be interesting.

? Do you have the courage to go out on the street dressed as a woman?

? Have you ever worn men?s clothing with a fit, fabric or color considered ?feminine??

? Do you like the result or the process more when you dress as a woman?

I?m curious about your answers!

Sincerely
    Marie Claire

Interesting post. You've made suggestions for which I've tried variations for the last 15 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by marieclaire View Post
    ? Do you have the courage to go out on the street dressed as a woman?
    I don't dress as a woman, but it's not a lack of courage. It's a lack of interest. Everything I'm wearing right now comes from the women' departments of various stores. But, I have a full beard and hair down to mid-back. I have no desire to lose the beard or look like a woman. I love wearing the things I wear. I have tried the many/most of the various alternatives you mentioned and keep coming to the conclusion that the alternatives are not the same and don't fill the same need.

I do have both men's and women's skinny jeans and wear both openly.

I've been wearing a bra almost daily for the last few months. I don't to forms and buy 38 or 40 A/AA and use extenders as necessary. The color isn't so much of a concern and I try to wear shirts that hide the lines of the band and straps. Wearing a bra makes my itty-bitties feel special and I've gotten to the point wear i don't feel completely dressed without the feel of the band around my chest.

I have sports bras and bralettes but prefer underwire bras and the way they shape my natural breasts just a bit.

I actually think that it's maybe more challenging to be a man with an openly feminine presentation than to be a man presenting as a woman. Even if one doesn't pass, at least there's more of a disguise or camouflage to one's identity. With my long hair and beard, I have a very distinctive look in male or androgynous mode. The few times I've been out in bearded crossdresser mode, there's been no mistaking who I am.

? Have you ever worn men's clothing with a fit, fabric or color considered ?feminine??
    I do wear 4 and 5 inch inseam men's shorts in warmer weather, which was the norm back in my twenties but is considered to be feminine now. I have a fair number of pink t shirts and button-ups. I also wear various necklaces and a stack of bracelets most of the time. I am trying to work up the courage to wear pearls in male mode but not quite there.

I have one pair of men's Under Armor compression pants that look no different from the black yoga pants/leggings that I've begun wearing to the gym for the last few weeks. I wear the man's compression pants and women's yoga pants alternately and basically ignore other's reactions. I've even ventured to Walmart after a workout and run a couple of other errands dressed like that. I do wear unisex t shirts that are long enough to avoid offending the sensitives out there.

? Do you like the result or the process more when you dress as a woman?
    I like both. I like having shaved legs and I like the process of shaving. I just wish I had more time before the stubble got uncomfortable. I'd love to remove a large portion of my body hair permanently but I'm not willing to spend the money on that.

I like wearing a bra and I like the act of putting it on and taking it off. If practical, I almost always remove my bra with my top still on. I have no idea why that so satisfying, but it is.

I love the routine of putting on mascara and eyeshadow in the morning. That's one thing that I think the process is even more enjoyable that the result. If I do it right, the makeup is almost undetectable so it's not a visually exciting thing. But, putting it on satisfies something in me and then just knowing that I'm wearing satisfies something else in me.

I don't wear pantihose often, but I've begun to wear nude knee highs with my men's or women's jeans or leggings. I've gotten to be completely comfortable wearing them instead of socks. But I also like the act of putting the knee highs on, especially when my toenails are painted.

For most outerwear whether it's a dress, athletic wear, shorts or whatever, it's more the result than the process. I like looking in the mirror and finding that the femme things in my closet or drawers suit my preferred aesthetic perfectly. I don't get anything like that feeling from seeing myself in men's things, even if those things are less traditionally masculine.
    Last edited by Bea_; 04-08-2024 at 12:27 PM.
    To be loved but not known is comforting but superficial. To be known and not loved is our greatest fear. But to be fully known and truly loved is, well, a lot like being loved by God. It is what we need more than anything. ~ Timothy Keller

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    I've done this for years. Everybody knows why but I only speak of it to a select few. (Company has over 10k employee's all nearby not world wide). It's probably mattered in some instances but really it hasn't mattered much. I joke that if I ever transition at work people would be upset there needed to be a meeting to announce it. If I fielded questions #1 would be what took me so long? Lol

The other day while travelling I wore a hot-pink mens t-shirt that my wife got for me. No visible reactions. I also wore women's jean shorts (as always) and an anklet and toe ring. A skirt would have been great, but I'm not ready to cross that line.

Do you have the courage to go out on the street dressed as a woman?
    Yes I do!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Count my vote as the same as Karren’s! I feel very alive when I go out as Christine.

The question for me is when I don't go out on the street dressed like a woman? Not very often as I wear dresses around the house and when I.go shopping, to church and to doctor appointments.

John
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

I don't practice crossdressing. I wear female clothes.
    I don't wish to change my gender I just want to change my clothes.

Hi,

I have many unisex-women's tops, and have been underdressing (panties, tights and a soft tee) EVERY day for over 2yrs.

I literally do not own men's underwear.

Very good suggestions, Marie. I have been doing that for years and it rarely gets a reaction here in liberal Denver; not so good in very conservative locations. However, what does produce a reaction is carrying a shoulder bag even though it does not look the least bit like a women's purse. Men are supposed to carry their stuff in pockets. Unfortunately, I carry stuff that won't go in pockets. Such as a checkbook, various small form factor tools for emergencies, a magnifier for reading ridiculously fine print, small plastic bags and coin envelopes when I find a plant, rock, or other natural item I want to take home and examine more closely. Never know when you come across such things and as the study of Nature is my profession some of these things are important to have when I need them. But to some it looks like a purse and that creates a reaction in a lot of people.

I do like women's T-shirts and especially in feminine colors. I notice that the younger folks are much more tolerant of the "Hint of Feminine" than older folks, especially guys with beards. No judgement there; it is just a fact that most men who have beards tend to be pretty masculine and follow binary thinking. So, on the whole your suggestions usually work fine and keep the self appointed gender police calm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bea_ View Post
    I do wear 4 and 5 inch inseam men's shorts in warmer weather, which was the norm back in
    Now ancient according to the boys on the courts, when I go down to just shoot baskets, I wear shorty shorts the same as my gym short length when I was in high school in 1973. Yes, they are now considered 'girly' length, but I also wear my Willis Reed NY Knicks jersey, #19, a tougher NBA player there never was. When asked, I just tell them to watch videos of him playing on youtube. Never get more questions.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by GretchenM View Post
    Very good suggestions, Marie. I have been doing that for years and it rarely gets a reaction here in liberal Denver; not so good in very conservative locations. However, what does produce a reaction is carrying a shoulder bag even though it does not look the least bit like a women's purse. Men are supposed to carry their stuff in pockets. Unfortunately, I carry stuff that won't go in pockets. Such as a checkbook, various small form factor tools for emergencies, a magnifier for reading ridiculously fine print, small plastic bags and coin envelopes when I find a plant, rock, or other natural item I want to take home and examine more closely. Never know when you come across such things and as the study of Nature is my profession some of these things are important to have when I need them. But to some it looks like a purse and that creates a reaction in a lot of people.

I do like women's T-shirts and especially in feminine colors. I notice that the younger folks are much more tolerant of the "Hint of Feminine" than older folks, especially guys with beards. No judgement there; it is just a fact that most men who have beards tend to be pretty masculine and follow binary thinking. So, on the whole your suggestions usually work fine and keep the self appointed gender police calm.
    First, I'm wondering about how overt the reactions you got from carrying a purse/bag. I've been toying with the idea of carrying a purse and am curious about the types of responses you got.

Second, I'm wondering about how much more overt the negative responses from bearded guys have been. As a bearded guy myself, I could guess that others here might assume a wrongly negative response from me. I am afraid that I tend to absent mindedly study things that I'm curious about and seeing a guy like us out in the wild definitely fits that bill. I'm wondering how much we project onto others the response we expect.

I've barely been out in obvious femme man mode once or twice. I got one obvious negative response from a young female barista at a coffee shop who looked like she was going to throw up in her mouth. Fortunately, she was not the barista who was taking my order. The "younger folks are more tolerant" didn't work in my case.
    To be loved but not known is comforting but superficial. To be known and not loved is our greatest fear. But to be fully known and truly loved is, well, a lot like being loved by God. It is what we need more than anything. ~ Timothy Keller

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Marie Claire, these questions have been asked before and things are changing, but a a glacial pace.
    Depending on where you live, depends on how easy it can, or can't be for a dresser. How much you show to the publics going to determine the response. I have been an underdressed for years, on the rare occasion some lace from a cami may show, the wife reminds me that something is showing. My wife prefers if I don't show in public, so I honour her wishes. If she didn't mind, then I would go out more like this. Typical guys shirt, jacket, atop, under lingerie, and on the bottom a skirt and hosiery according to the outside temperature. For shoes, some comfortable walking shoes, as long as they are comfortable.

Q1. To go out dressed as a woman is no longer my interest, I want to be comfortable in what I want, whether feminine, or masculine.
    Q2. Yes.
    Q3. Lingerie has the tactile feel, lace, snugness, and stretch( spandex, lycra) that can't be bought in the men's section.

We all have different reasons for why we do what we do. Life is to be enjoyed, and being placed inside some persons pigeon hole box, is not my idea of life.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

What Karren says.

I go out multiple times a week.

Never had an issue.

Bea, you ask a couple of good questions. Here in Denver itself such reactions to my bag, which by the way is made by Swiss Army, are unusual and usually just a glance with a bit of wonderment or a frown. Lots of young guys here wear beards and they rarely react; some carry male style bags themselves. But Denver is very liberal and there seems to be a sizeable gender variant/transgender people as I see them all the time. So, it is a good environment for us. You would fit in here just fine.

The problems crop up in surrounding communities that are conservative to strongly conservative. That is not unexpected. There it is completely different with frowns and negative comments stated in a bit of a teasing fashion. A few are downright nasty. Once in awhile I get a bit uncomfortable. But those communities also have their LGBTQ+ folks and they go about their business. I suppose one might say those who are disagreeable do so primarily based on their socio-political views which they have no qualms about expressing openly. But few act on those opinions.

But I have never had an encounter become threatening, so it is mostly just nasty looks and some nasty comments, at worst. That seems to be pervasive in this country right now while 5 or 6 years ago that was much more uncommon than it is today. It doesn't seriously bother me because reactions are just frowns or comments. I know it will happen and it is, at this point, fine as that is part of this country's diversity and freedom of speech. But in those communities I am much more wary which is a good idea anyway, no matter where you are. We are different and some people just don't like shifts from the stereotypical and traditional norm. At that point none of us or them are doing anything against the law - it is just expressing an opinion or personal perception.

1. Yes not often but I do - it is both pleasurable and scary every time. Wish I could have the confident self acceptance many of you have - but doing my best!

2. For me feminine male clothing does not appeal. Even if understated I need to know what I?m wearing is from the women?s department.

3. I do like the process- and the result from the neck down is ok too.

I only wear men’s stuff at work,on the building
    At home I only wear ladies things and when out I’m always wearing panties and hose ladies jeans or trousers
    Maybe a ladies top if not too obvious and ladies shoes that are also not obvious .i don’t wear a bra out or makeup unless I’m all out
    For carnival or Halloween but I do carry a ladies handbag ,I do get looks for that but who cares

Q1 I have not gone out on public yet. It is something I am trying to work on as it is something I know inside I want to do, but I need to get over my fears.

Q2 no I have not. I have underdressed with a seamless bra and wear women's underwear every day and have been since I started 3 years ago.

Q3 women all day. I've come to hate the term crossdressing now. I don't see it as that. What I see is myself wearing what I want and how I would love to see myself in the mirror as.

Platinum Member
    To your questions: 1) yes, I have been out many times in many different circumstances, including my own neighborhood, shopping, drinks and dining with friends, at the auto service center, banking, traveling, etc

2) I really go all in or not at all. I do not mix male and female attire in any respect.

3) I prefer the result, such as it is.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 04-09-2024 at 02:40 PM.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt